Windows 10: Windows deleted existing files when moving desktop location

Discus and support Windows deleted existing files when moving desktop location in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I built a new desktop and did a fresh install of windows on a new drive. I also had my old drives installed on the system, so I right clicked 'Desktop'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/nettozx, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Windows deleted existing files when moving desktop location

I built a new desktop and did a fresh install of windows on a new drive. I also had my old drives installed on the system, so I right clicked 'Desktop' folder and went to properties and moved it to my existing Desktop on my old drive. This deleted all my files and made an empty desktop folder in that location.

Is there any way to recover those files?

submitted by /u/nettozx
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/nettozx, Dec 31, 2020
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Dec 31, 2020
  3. Anusha Win User
    C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Windows deleted existing files when moving desktop location ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Dec 31, 2020
  4. Cyndera80 Win User

Windows deleted existing files when moving desktop location

Cannot move desktop to a new location in Windows 7

I've been trying to move the desktop location on a machine that runs Windows 7.

On my own machine (Windows 10), there's a "Location" tab in the desktop properties.

That tab is missing on the machine that runs Windows 7.

I came across the suggestion below in other threads, but it is not working for me. Any other suggestions on how to change to location or how to get the location tab to show?

Thanks!

1. Open the Registry editor (Regedit.exe)
    2. Browse to the location:

HKCU > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Explorer > User Shell Folders.
    3. In the right window pane select the required value (i.e. Desktop).
    4. Insert the new location for the folder to be stored.
    5. Close the registry editor and log off

--> Didn't work.

Cyndera80, Dec 31, 2020
Thema:

Windows deleted existing files when moving desktop location

1. Windows deleted existing files when moving desktop location - Similar Threads - deleted existing files

2. File location does not exist.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File location does not exist.: I'm trying to download footage using Edge through IE mode. It says downloaded but the file location does not exist. I even changed the download location to D drive but the same thing happens as that file patch doesn't exist. But through the CCTV interface, it shows me the...
  3. File location does not exist.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File location does not exist.: I'm trying to download footage using Edge through IE mode. It says downloaded but the file location does not exist. I even changed the download location to D drive but the same thing happens as that file patch doesn't exist. But through the CCTV interface, it shows me the...
  4. File location does not exist.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Messed up moving location of Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Messed up moving location of Desktop: I had a laptop with a small 500GB SSD main drive c:\I installed another 2TB SSD as drive d:\I put all my stuff on d:\, in folders not in the root. There's a lot of stuff!I like to use the Windows Desktop as a working area but some of it is bulky so I wanted to move it to...
  6. Messed up moving location of Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Messed up moving location of Desktop: I had a laptop with a small 500GB SSD main drive c:\I installed another 2TB SSD as drive d:\I put all my stuff on d:\, in folders not in the root. There's a lot of stuff!I like to use the Windows Desktop as a working area but some of it is bulky so I wanted to move it to...
  7. A file on my desktop cannot be deleted because it does not exist?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A file on my desktop cannot be deleted because it does not exist?: I have a file on my desktop that I cannot delete. I searched the internet but most info is from 2 or 3 years ago. I have tried the CMD routine but it shows it cant delete because file does not exist. It shows on my desktop. I tried to delete the icon cache but no luck. I have...
  8. Cannot delete or move pdf file on desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot delete or move pdf file on desktop: I have a pdf file on my desktop with a very long name that I cannot delete, rename, or move. Every attempt fails. I get no error message telling me that the file is in use by another program...it simply won't disappear or allow me to change its name. I have tried running...
  9. Delay when moving or deleting files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delay when moving or deleting files: Hey everyone, I just did a lot of upgrades to my PC, and did a fresh install of Windows. I started running into a small problem that I haven't seen before. Whenever I move a file to another directory or delete it, there is a ~2 second delay. The transfer window will pop up,...
  10. Move Location of Desktop Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Desktop Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Desktop Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Desktop Folder Location in Windows 10 The desktop is the main screen area that you see after you turn on your PC and sign in to Windows. Like the top of an actual desk, it serves as a surface for...