Windows 10: Windows deleted parent folder of folder I was trying to delete

Discus and support Windows deleted parent folder of folder I was trying to delete in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello Microsoft community, I was deleting some folders, the file structure looked like this: Projects\ \Project1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RiaanZoetmulder, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Windows deleted parent folder of folder I was trying to delete

Hello Microsoft community,

I was deleting some folders, the file structure looked like this:

Projects\

\Project1

\Project2

\ ..

The .. refers to a folder name. I deleted the folder named ".." and it ended up deleting the entire projects "parent" folder. I cancelled the deletion, however the Projects folder did not reappear. It is not in my recycle bin, backup or history. I have checked whether it is a hidden folder and it is not.

Curiously, when I check the memory, the memory the folder took is still in use.

Do you have any idea how to solve this issue?

Kind regards,

Riaan

:)

RiaanZoetmulder, Jan 29, 2020

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Windows deleted parent folder of folder I was trying to delete :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Windows deleted parent folder of folder I was trying to delete :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Jan 29, 2020
  3. R9
    r9 Win User
    Trouble deleting a folder

Download norton commander for windows and try it. I`m using it for deleting those autorun.inf virus files that stuck to the USB drives or second non system partition. If no file is used from windows folder NC should erase it easy. And there is Hiren`s boot disk that you can download it is bootable and has volkov commander on it similar to NC and it runs in DOS and it will delete windows folder 100%. Or you can make USB stick bootable and use deltree command.

4. RoboX Win User

Windows deleted parent folder of folder I was trying to delete

Windows 8 - delete windows folders in another drive

I have the problem (from Windows 8) to delete the folders windows and programs on a secondary disk on which it was 7 .... know how to get full control to delete those folders?

RoboX, Jan 29, 2020
Thema:

Windows deleted parent folder of folder I was trying to delete

1. Windows deleted parent folder of folder I was trying to delete - Similar Threads - deleted parent folder

2. Trying to delete folder with the name "----- "

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to delete folder with the name "----- ": I accidentally ended up with a folder with the name "----- ". 5 hyphens and a space When I try to delete that folder, I get the error " Could not find this item This is no longer located in F:\cant_delete. Verify the item's location and try again." I can move and rename the...
  3. Trying to delete folder with the name "----- "

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to delete folder with the name "----- ": I accidentally ended up with a folder with the name "----- ". 5 hyphens and a space When I try to delete that folder, I get the error " Could not find this item This is no longer located in F:\cant_delete. Verify the item's location and try again." I can move and rename the...
  4. Deleting a folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting a folder.: I can't delete a folder because a pop-up window says it is open in another program but I don't have any other programs open that I know of. Neither Dell nor Carbonite Support can remove this folder. Does anyone have a solution... or explanation? Thanks...
  5. Deleting a folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting a folder.: I can't delete a folder because a pop-up window says it is open in another program but I don't have any other programs open that I know of. Neither Dell nor Carbonite Support can remove this folder. Does anyone have a solution... or explanation? Thanks...
  6. Windows 10 deleted parent folder of folder I was trying to delete

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 deleted parent folder of folder I was trying to delete: When I tried to delete a folder, Windows 10 instead deleted the Parent folder of the folder I tried to delete. I think I mouse clicked on the folder I wanted, right clicked, and chose "delete". Perhaps, I selected the file and then hit the delete key on the keyboard....
  7. Issue trying to delete a folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issue trying to delete a folder: [ATTACH] I was trying to delete a copy and paste I made (aka a backup which I no longer needed), it all worked normally, but then this popped up: https://preview.redd.it/z06qgcaox5q51.png?width=449&format=png&auto=webp&s=6db9b7c72c00feec3e6d7a0a9b68ddda69b55a46 submitted...
  8. Created Folder ... which points to the parent folder, can't delete it.

Created Folder ... which points to the parent folder, can't delete it.: I managed to get a folder with the name ... created. When I double-click it, it resolves to the same directory I was in, so it is an infinite loop. I can't delete the folder because it is not empty or the parent folder because it is not empty. I can't rename or move it....
  9. Folder deleted

Folder deleted: I accidentally clicked CTRL+Z and my picture folder was deleted. Any idea on how to recover it? It was just barely downloaded and I didn't even have a chance to back it up before the slip up. Any support is welcome!!...
  10. How do I delete or move parent folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I delete or move parent folder?: So, today I was cleaning up my laptop and I tried moving the 3D Objects folder into the Downloads folder through properties. Instead of becoming a child folder like I had hoped, it is now synced with the Downloads folder. I have tried moving it back to be named 3D Objects...