Windows 10: Windows desktop changes icons and content after installing a new laptop on my Microsoft account

Discus and support Windows desktop changes icons and content after installing a new laptop on my Microsoft account in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; HiI have a problem which is most frustrating. I installed a new laptop with near identical programs apps on it that my desktop has. I have 5 desktops... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MarcBandemer, May 3, 2021.

1. Windows desktop changes icons and content after installing a new laptop on my Microsoft account

HiI have a problem which is most frustrating. I installed a new laptop with near identical programs apps on it that my desktop has. I have 5 desktops with slightly different configurations and different program installations on them. They are all linked to my Microsoft account and all share the same OneDrive. I have turned off 'Sync My Settings' in all the computers accounts including the new laptop, but any changes I make to the desktop layout of my laptop, changes the content of my desktop but not all of my desktops either.It also copies another set of icons and shortcuts to my desktop e

:)

MarcBandemer, May 3, 2021

2. Windows vista x64 computer icon always changing

what icons are you referring to?
    In the Windows Explorer list or desktop?

twicksisted, May 3, 2021
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Changing administrator for new windows 10 laptop

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

To change the Account type follow the steps.

• Press Windows + X, click on User Accounts.

• Click on change your account type.

• Select standard account.

To delete the account follow the steps.

• Click on Manage other Account.

• Select the user account.

• Click on Delete the account.

To create the new user account follow the steps.

• Click on Manage other Account.

• Click on Add A new user in PC setting.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, May 3, 2021
  4. psbecker Win User

Windows desktop changes icons and content after installing a new laptop on my Microsoft account

Change Folder Icon in Windows 10

I just acquired a new laptop running Windows 10 and am trying to change the icons of the folders in the StartUp "Program" folder so that they would stand out a little better. I used my admin account and followed all the steps listed above, but when I clicked on "Apply", nothing happened. The same basic windows folder icon remained attached to the folder. I also tried to go into Properties and capitalize some of the folder names, but that didn't work either. Looks like something is protecting them, but I cannot figure out what it is much less how to get around this blockage, Any suggestions?

psbecker, May 3, 2021
Thema:

Windows desktop changes icons and content after installing a new laptop on my Microsoft account

1. Windows desktop changes icons and content after installing a new laptop on my Microsoft account - Similar Threads - desktop changes icons

2. Keep computer content with a new microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keep computer content with a new microsoft account: I set up a windows computer using my Microsoft account and let a friend without a Microsoft account use it as her personal computer. I would like give the computer to her to keep and would like to remove my Microsoft account from it without her losing anything that she has on...
  3. Keep computer content with a new microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keep computer content with a new microsoft account: I set up a windows computer using my Microsoft account and let a friend without a Microsoft account use it as her personal computer. I would like give the computer to her to keep and would like to remove my Microsoft account from it without her losing anything that she has on...
  4. Cannot change where new content is installed

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Cannot change where new content is installed: So I bought Forza Horizon 5 and wanted to install it on my computer but I can't because it tells me there's not enough space on my C: drive although I already changed where new content should be installed and I even tried changing it back to the C: drive and then back to the...
  5. Cannot change where new content is installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change where new content is installed: So I bought Forza Horizon 5 and wanted to install it on my computer but I can't because it tells me there's not enough space on my C: drive although I already changed where new content should be installed and I even tried changing it back to the C: drive and then back to the...
  6. Cannot change where new content is installed

7. My laptop is associated to a microsoft account. I changed to a new microsoft account. Now...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop is associated to a microsoft account. I changed to a new microsoft account. Now...: How to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-is-associated-to-a-microsoft-account-i/e1843ec8-2c72-4a3e-92a2-04daa0ae68a2
  8. My laptop is associated to a microsoft account. I changed to a new microsoft account. Now...

My laptop is associated to a microsoft account. I changed to a new microsoft account. Now...: How to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-is-associated-to-a-microsoft-account-i/e1843ec8-2c72-4a3e-92a2-04daa0ae68a2
  9. My laptop is associated to a microsoft account. I changed to a new microsoft account. Now...

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. I have a new microsoft account, I want to migrate my old desktop contents to it

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I have a new microsoft account, I want to migrate my old desktop contents to it: I have had this computer for a long time, but I'm fairly new to Microsoft accounts. I created an account for the very first time few weeks ago, but it was not 100% satisfactory due to the fact that the email address I supplied is an alias, and causing difficulties. So I...