Windows 10: Windows Desktop disappears when any window is open in the foreground

Discus and support Windows Desktop disappears when any window is open in the foreground in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; The issue can be seen in this picture: [ATTACH] When I press the "Show Destkop" button in the right corner of the Taskbar, the desktop appears... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Jak&, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Jak& Win User

Windows Desktop disappears when any window is open in the foreground

The issue can be seen in this picture:

Windows Desktop disappears when any window is open in the foreground 9081a2e0-9ac9-4754-b35e-6a25f1046626?upload=true.png

When I press the "Show Destkop" button in the right corner of the Taskbar, the desktop appears normally. The problem is that when I open any window or application the desktop disappears and I can only see the windows I have open and if they are not filling the screen I see this grey color instead of the desktop.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

:)

Jak&, Jan 6, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 6, 2021
  3. Window displayed on all desktops becomes "sticky" when it is in foreground while switching between desktops

Hi,

I refer to behavior enabled by "Show this window on all desktops" and "Show windows from this app on all desktops" options. It's very useful when I want some chat app, music player or other generic thing to be on all desktops, in multiple contexts. But if
    I switch such app to foreground, it immediately becomes foreground application for all desktops (that's easily visible after pressing Win+Tab and looking at desktops' thumbnails.

For all windows/applications that are set to be shown on all desktops, I would rather prefer Windows to track position of such windows individually per each desktop, so if I switch such application to foreground, it doesn't automatically become foreground
    application for all desktops. It would be best if behavior described by me and behavior current as of Windows 10.0.19041 would be switchable through registry. I imagine that advanced users would like to use one or another depending on preference. What do you
    think?

If you get my point, you can ignore rest of the message below. If you're not sure what I mean, please take a look at this example:

1. [Active] Desktop 1 - writing a book:
      1. [Foreground] Text Editor,
      2. [Background] Web Browser with research materials for the book,
      3. [Background] Chat Application*.
    2. Desktop 2 - programming:
      1. [Foreground] Code Editor,
      2. [Background] Web Browser with programming articles,
      3. [Background] Chat Application*.
    3. Desktop 3 - procrastination:
      1. [Foreground] Web Browser with funny videos, memes and cats,
      2. [Background] Chat Application*.
    * This is same window of Chat Application, because I have checked 'Show windows from this app on all desktops' option for Music Player. Note that I specifically chose Chat Application as an example, because the one that I have in mind, has all conversations
    in one window (not a good design in terms of multiple desktops, but that's an app used in my workplace and I have no power to change it to better one).

My actions:

1. I look at Desktop 1, having text editor in foreground,
    2. I see a pop-up showing that someone sent me a message related to writing a book (context of Desktop 1), so I switch to Chat Application and I have it in [Foreground],
    3. I chat for a while, then there is a lunch break, so I grab my lunch and decide to switch my working context away from book related,
    4. I press Ctrl+Win+Right, so I move from Desktop 1 to Desktop 2:
      1. What I see? Chat Application - it is app that is in foreground on all desktops now, until I will minimize it.
      2. What I want to see? Code Editor (because this is the last thing I left in foreground in that context)
    5. No, actually on a lunch break I want to switch to procrastination context,
    6. I press Ctrl+Win+Right, so I move from Desktop 2 to Desktop 3:
      1. What I see? Chat Application - it is app that is in foreground on all desktops now, until I will minimize it.
      2. What I want to see? Web Browser

What is your opinion, should it be possible to switch "window/application on multiple desktops" behavior in such way?

Regards,

Peter.

CodeScu1ptor, Jan 6, 2021
  4. yoyoma2 Win User

On-Screen Keyboard bug changes foreground window

This On-Screen Keyboard bug changes the current foreground window.

Steps:

1. Open Edge and notepad and maximize them (never minimize them)
    2. Select notepad by clicking on it in taskbar (it's now on top)
    3. Open the On-Screen Keyboard (in Windows Ease of access)
    4. Type a few characters into notepad with the On-Screen Keyboard
    5. Minimize the On-Screen Keyboard
    6. Select Edge by clicking on it in taskbar (it's now on top)
    7. Restore the On-Screen Keyboard by clicking on it in taskbar and use it to type into Edge
    Result:

Notepad is now on top

Expected result:

Edge remains on top i.e. the On-Screen Keyboard maintains the current foreground window in which you intended to type.

History:

This superuser Q&A contains links to this bug being reported in windows 8, windows 7 and claims it goes back 17 years to Windows XP.

Workarounds:

Kill the On-Screen Keyboard every time instead of minimizing it. The bug occurs because the On-Screen Keyboard fails to keep track of the current foreground window while minimized.

Patch out the SetForegroundWindow call from the On-Screen Keyboard binary as described in the superuser link above.

Wait 17 more years for Microsoft to fix it.

Tell user to stop being disabled.

yoyoma2, Jan 6, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows Desktop disappears when any window is open in the foreground - Similar Threads - Desktop disappears window

2. Windows not brought to foreground

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows not brought to foreground: I have a issue that I have not been able to fix. My Phone Link window is not being brought to the foreground if it is already open. Steps to reproduce: 1. Open Phone Link 2. Open another window of some sort e.g. Notepad and place it on top of the Phone Link window so it...
  3. App with open window cannot be brought to foreground

in Windows 10 Gaming
    App with open window cannot be brought to foreground: In my text processor Notepad++ I regularly do all kinds of text searches. Often I leave the search window open when I switch to another application such as my browser. Unfortunately this doesn't work anymore since the latest Windows update. I can switch away from Notepad++...
  4. App with open window cannot be brought to foreground

App with open window cannot be brought to foreground: In my text processor Notepad++ I regularly do all kinds of text searches. Often I leave the search window open when I switch to another application such as my browser. Unfortunately this doesn't work anymore since the latest Windows update. I can switch away from Notepad++...
  5. Disappearing Icons on my desktop when opened.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disappearing Icons on my desktop when opened.: What would cause all of my desktop Icons to disappear when I opened the desktop? I did figure out to how find them but wonder why they were gone?...
  6. Disappearing Icons on my desktop when opened.

Disappearing Icons on my desktop when opened.: What would cause all of my desktop Icons to disappear when I opened the desktop? I did figure out to how find them but wonder why they were gone?...
  7. Disappearing Icons on my desktop when opened.

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. New window opens in foreground instead of background

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New window opens in foreground instead of background: Hi, I recently got a new laptop running windows 10 and when i click on any file on Windows Explorer, it opens up the new window in the foreground. For Example, this gets quite tedious when I want to open up multiple Powerpoints to study, when i click on a powerpoint it opens...
  9. Open windows in foreground

in Windows 10 Customization
    Open windows in foreground: All of a sudden, the windows I open are in the background and cannot be brought to the foreground by clicking on them. Also the task bar has quit sliding out if I have a window opened full screen. I have to downsize the window to get the task bar to slide out from the side....
  10. How to force the properties window open in the foreground!

in Windows 10 Support
    How to force the properties window open in the foreground!: I've been fighting properties window since I installed window 10...*Mad I use this function a lot. The problem is the properties window opens in the background. So I have to minimize all the windows I have open to see the properties window. The weird thing is the...