Windows 10: Windows Desktop Failure to Display following update

Discus and support Windows Desktop Failure to Display following update in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My laptop will not show the desktop or anything else I have installed following a MS update. I get the prompt "Location is not available"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by PeteBrindley, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Windows Desktop Failure to Display following update

My laptop will not show the desktop or anything else I have installed following a MS update.

I get the prompt "Location is not available"

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop.

I have tried WINDOWS + R and msconfig / General / Normal Startup and it makes no difference. When I check System Configuration again it seems to have reset itself to Selective Startup:

Load system services

Load startup items

Use original boot configuration (selected and greyed out)

Can anyone help as my system is unusable?

Pete

:)

PeteBrindley, Nov 26, 2018

2. fllckering desktop

Hi Yvonne,

To resolve your issue with flickering desktop, we suggest that you update your display drivers with the steps listed below:

• Right-click Start, then select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapters to find the name of your device.
    • Right-click the device and select Update Driver Software.
    • Follow steps to update display drivers.

Update us on the result.

Regards.

Angela Pun, Nov 26, 2018
  3. Windows 8 failure configuring updates and reverting

No, the license only applies to the Windows 8 OEM copy the original owner purchased with laptop, it doesn't magically transform into Windows 8.1 Retail one.

OK, so here's the commonly recommended steps that should help you with your problem.

Before you begin, I would recommend you to download both of these files and save them on your USB drive in order to use it later as the only source of third-party packages:
    1. The first step would be to recover the original Windows installation using your hard drive partition (the thing that you've done before, I believe). Follow the steps described here (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03544793#N258) and see if you missed anything. By the end of this operation, make so that your HP product is not connected to any sort of network.

2. Configure your HP device to boot in "clean" mode as described here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135). Restart once.

3. Run the first file you've downloaded (http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp67001-67500/sp67259.exe) from your just-recovered Windows copy and follow the steps required.

4. Run the AMD package (http://www2.ati.com/drivers/amd-catalyst-14.4-64bit-win8.1-win8-win7-whql-aug.exe). Choose the "Advanced" installation option in order to be able to opt-out the "AMD/Raprt App" and "HydraVision" packages.

5. Establish an Internet connection. Run "Windows Store" tile from your Start screen, and select "Windows 8.1" package.

6. Once you're done with your migration from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, you can install all the critical updates offered by Windows Update, which would be driver software, then Windows 8.1 Update package (KB2919442 > KB2919355 > KB2932046 > KB2959977 > KB2937592 > KB2938439 > KB2934018), "August" Update (KB2993651 > KB2975719 > KB2993100 > KB2979582 > KB2990532 > KB2995004) and .NET Framework 4.5.2 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42642).

Constantine Yevseyev, Nov 26, 2018
  4. Windows Desktop Failure to Display following update

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Nov 26, 2018
Thema:

Windows Desktop Failure to Display following update

1. Windows Desktop Failure to Display following update - Similar Threads - Desktop Failure Display

2. Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update: I have problem with update win11 Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800F0831: 2023-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5028185. I try to cmd:net stop bits net stop wuauserv net stop appidsvc...
  3. Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update: I have problem with update win11 Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800F0831: 2023-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5028185. I try to cmd:net stop bits net stop wuauserv net stop appidsvc...
  4. Following a motherboard hardware failure...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Following a motherboard hardware failure...: Following a motherboard hardware failure i need to get the license key for my windows 10 pro but am unable to as the motherboard is completely inoperable.Am unsure how to proceed....
  5. Following a motherboard hardware failure...

Following a motherboard hardware failure...: Following a motherboard hardware failure i need to get the license key for my windows 10 pro but am unable to as the motherboard is completely inoperable.Am unsure how to proceed....
  6. DESKTOP DISPLAY LOST AFTER POWER FAILURE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DESKTOP DISPLAY LOST AFTER POWER FAILURE: I started up my computer after a power failure. The desktop display screen is completely different. I think it might be the default blue screen with Windows logo.I personalized screen had a family photo and several shortcut desktop icons to excels/word document files. they...
  7. DESKTOP DISPLAY LOST AFTER POWER FAILURE

DESKTOP DISPLAY LOST AFTER POWER FAILURE: I started up my computer after a power failure. The desktop display screen is completely different. I think it might be the default blue screen with Windows logo.I personalized screen had a family photo and several shortcut desktop icons to excels/word document files. they...
  8. DESKTOP DISPLAY LOST AFTER POWER FAILURE

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Boot failure following windows 10 feature update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot failure following windows 10 feature update: Hi I have a PC with Windows 10 64 bit. I ran a feature update that stuck 48% even after leaving overnight. With no other option I turned off and rebooted hoping that it would repair/roll back the update. Alas I am now in a pickle. BSOD here's what I've tried so far. Hopefully...
  10. Numerous issues following Windows 10 updates and Microsoft failures

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Numerous issues following Windows 10 updates and Microsoft failures: Every time Windows 10 does an update, there are always issues, notably with mail syncing, media casting, network speeds etc etc etc. My main complaint is that Microsoft seem to be releasing these updates without fully testing them for compatibility with "their own software...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows desktop failure

2. failure to display window for computer