Windows 10: Windows Desktop from C:\User\[username]\Desktop

Discus and support Windows Desktop from C:\User\[username]\Desktop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Windows Desktop is displaying the files stored under C:\User\[username]\OneDrive\Desktop rather than from C:\User\[username]\Desktop. How do I get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ArZi(2), Nov 8, 2019.

1. ArZi(2) Win User

Windows Desktop from C:\User\[username]\Desktop

Windows Desktop is displaying the files stored under C:\User\[username]\OneDrive\Desktop rather than from C:\User\[username]\Desktop. How do I get Windows to display the Desktop directly under my User account?

:)

ArZi(2), Nov 8, 2019

2. Desktop Folder's Location is set to C:\Users\USERNAME instead of C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop

I was changing the location of the user folders (documents, pictures, downloads e.t.c) to my D drive instead of C because it has more space but accidentally messed up the location of the desktop folder. I then tried to change it back to how it was by setting
    its location to C:\Users\USERNAME but it didn't know the actual location should be C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop.

Now the desktop folder has somehow taken up the location of my user folder, and if I try to create another folder with my username, it just says that the desktop IS the user folder. Anything I put in the desktop folder, of course, shows up on the pc desktop.

Since this desktop folder takes the location of the user folder, it contains the AppData folder. If I try to move the folder properly to the D drive again, it gives the error message 'Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that
    can't be redirected. Access Denied.' If I try to restore default - C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop - the most obvious solution I get another error saying 'Cant redirect a parent to a child. The specified path is invalid.'

I searched for a solution and I found that going into Regedit and then Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders and clicking on Desktop, you can change the location. I tried this and entered the default
    location, restarted the computer, as well as the new location I was trying to get. Both times Regedit says the location is changed but there aren't any changes in the users folder.

So now I've ended up with C:\Users containing 'defaultuser0', 'Desktop' and 'Public'. and my D drive containing all the user folders (documents, pictures, downloads e.t.c). I don't really know if it will cause any problems, but I don't think having the USERNAME
    folder and the Desktop folder merged together is very good...

Ahnaf Tahmid, Nov 8, 2019
  3. Darkamian Win User
    How to pin c-users-username to quick access not the desktop library of username?

EDIT: Pinning c-users-username-(folder) functions normally it is specifically c-users-username that is the problem

The problem occurred before the customization (which is simply use document template). It also fails to work on two other windows 10 laptops (all three devices are different manufactures and motherboards and parts). So it most certainly is not because I
    changed the template. It also has occured for nearly a year now across every update, I even attempted on a clean install(using the media creation tool) without updating or installing anything and it also failed.

Just to make sure we are following the same steps.

I navigate to C:\users\ right click and pin to quick access

I click the link it creates

opens username(that library in desktop) and not C:\users\username

Darkamian, Nov 8, 2019
  4. Windows Desktop from C:\User\[username]\Desktop

c:\users\username\desktop is not accessible

Hi,

My name is Angel. I am an Independent Advisor. Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

This C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop is unavailable error may occur due to corrupt or missing Windows files.

To troubleshoot the issue, you can follow these simple steps:

1. Open File Explorer and navigate to: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile and check if it has the Desktop folder there.

2. If the Desktop folder does not exist, then create a new folder and rename it as Desktop or copy it from C:\users\Default\Desktop.

Note: By default, C:\Users\Default is hidden. To unhide click on the View tab and check the Hidden Items box.

After you have created the folder, it is required that you give full permission to the folder. You can follow these steps to give full permission:

1. Right click on the folder, select Properties then click on the Security tab.

2. Click on Edit.

3. On the Permissions for Desktop window, select Everyone and then click on Add.

4. In the Enter the object names to select dialog box, type Everyone and click on Check Names.

Click OK.

Source:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Hope the information provided is useful. If the issue persists, reply here and we will be glad to help you.

Angel.

AngelCarreno, Nov 8, 2019
Thema:

Windows Desktop from C:\User\[username]\Desktop

1. Windows Desktop from C:\User\[username]\Desktop - Similar Threads - Desktop User username

2. My desktop is not starting at C:\Users\USERNAME\desktop. How can I change it to start there?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My desktop is not starting at C:\Users\USERNAME\desktop. How can I change it to start there?: My desktop is not starting at C:\Users\USERNAME\desktop. How can I change it to start there? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-desktop-is-not-starting-at/d2cc688f-20f2-485c-bb8c-58b71daced23
  3. My desktop is not starting at C:\Users\USERNAME\desktop. How can I change it to start there?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My desktop is not starting at C:\Users\USERNAME\desktop. How can I change it to start there?: My desktop is not starting at C:\Users\USERNAME\desktop. How can I change it to start there? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-desktop-is-not-starting-at/d2cc688f-20f2-485c-bb8c-58b71daced23
  4. Moving files from c:\user\username\onedrive\pictures to c:\user\username\pictures

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving files from c:\user\username\onedrive\pictures to c:\user\username\pictures: Hi--I have a Lightroom Classic catalog which does not play well with onedrive. I also have no need for onedrive as I am without internet for about half the year. I have disabled one drive not connected, but want to get my files out of a local drive with the word "onedrive" in...
  5. Moving files from c:\user\username\onedrive\pictures to c:\user\username\pictures

Moving files from c:\user\username\onedrive\pictures to c:\user\username\pictures: Hi--I have a Lightroom Classic catalog which does not play well with onedrive. I also have no need for onedrive as I am without internet for about half the year. I have disabled one drive not connected, but want to get my files out of a local drive with the word "onedrive" in...
  6. <Username - DESKTOP-V1U814> and <username>

in Windows 10 Gaming
    <Username - DESKTOP-V1U814> and <username>: Hello,I had after an update 17.06 only access to a temporary account. After trying several solutions now everything is gone in this account not an big issue - nothing saved on desktop and apps. I can install new. But now when crreating a new profile to delete the faulty old...
  7. <Username - DESKTOP-V1U814> and <username>

<Username - DESKTOP-V1U814> and <username>: Hello,I had after an update 17.06 only access to a temporary account. After trying several solutions now everything is gone in this account not an big issue - nothing saved on desktop and apps. I can install new. But now when crreating a new profile to delete the faulty old...
  8. <Username - DESKTOP-V1U814> and <username>

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. I don't know how to remove C:\Users\"username"\OneDrive\Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I don't know how to remove C:\Users\"username"\OneDrive\Desktop: I've tried to reinstall OneDrive with the .exe setup, I went into settings, clicked "Unlink this PC" but my desktop folder is still somehow linked to Onedrive: [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  10. c:\users\username\desktop is not accessible

in Windows 10 Customization
    c:\users\username\desktop is not accessible: Yesterday I used my laptop for the first time in a couple of months and downloaded the updates to Windows 10. After the download was completed, I get this error message along with a blank desktop when my laptop reboots. [ATTACH] Any help would be appreciated. Denise...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. C:\Users\LocalAdminUser>

2. /Users/user/Desktop

3. c users username desktop

4. ... > Users Folder Somehow in C:\.... Not seen in C:\Windows..Two Usernames Windows 10: Users Folder Somehow in C:\.... Not seen in C:\Windows..Two Usernames Q QuillBall Win User Users Folder Somehow in C:\.... Not seen in C:\Windows..Two Usernames ,
  5. C:\Users\LocalAdminUser\Desktop\Downloads - Shortcut.lnk