Windows 10: Windows Desktop Manager Using more GPU than normal

Discus and support Windows Desktop Manager Using more GPU than normal in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I was play a game on my laptop which is usually very smooth but now it’s frame rate drops more than normal so I checked the task manager and it looks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Aspxcted, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Aspxcted Win User

Windows Desktop Manager Using more GPU than normal

I was play a game on my laptop which is usually very smooth but now it’s frame rate drops more than normal so I checked the task manager and it looks like the Windows desktop manager is using more gpu than normal. I think that’s the problem, is there any way to fix this?

:)

Aspxcted, Nov 21, 2021
  2. Peer_Sam Win User

Desktop Window Manager(DWM.exe) using high GPU

Hi Hasnat,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft community Forums.

In Windows, desktop composition is performed by Desktop Windows Manager. The way applications display pixels on the screen, it is managed by DWM. When desktop composition is enabled, individual windows no longer draw directly to the screen or primary
    display device as they did in previous versions of Windows. Instead, their drawing is redirected to off-screen surfaces in video memory, which are then rendered into a desktop image and presented on the display.

The GPU (NVidia) usage of 35-40% by games is absolutely normal, however at the same time Desktop Windows Manager is using the high percentage of Intel GPU, which isn’t normal and it might be the cause of the low FPS.

I suggest to refer to the suggestions given by Reymichael Ros, dated March 2, 2018 on

Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe) load GPU too much.

If the above step doesn’t work, you may try setting the NVidia card to maximum performance and disable Intel graphics adapter to see if it works.

• Right click on desktop and select NVidia Control Panel from the context menu.
    • Now on the left hand pane expand 3D settings.
    • Click on Manage 3D settings.
    • Under Preferred graphics processor, select
      High-performance NVidia processor.
    • Click on Apply.

Before disabling the Intel graphics adapter, I would recommend to create a system restore point. Please refer to the article:
    Create a system restore point.

• Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for
      Run.
    • In Run dialog box, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    • Expand Display adapters.
    • Now right click on the Intel Graphics drivers and click on
      Disable.
    • Click on OK.
    • Reboot the computer and check the frame rate.
    In case disabling Intel graphics adapter does not work, I would suggest to uninstall the Intel graphics drivers completely and install the latest drivers from the Intel support site.

• Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for
      Run.
    • In Run dialog box, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    • Expand Display adapters.
    • Now right click on the Intel Graphics drivers and click on
      Uninstall.
    • Check the checkbox to delete the drivers from the computer and reboot the computer.
    • Download and install latest drivers from

Downloads for Intel HD Graphics 630

If none of the above methods works, I would encourage you to provide your feedback and suggestions using the Windows 10 Feedback Hub app, so that the Windows developer team has direct access to it.

Send feedback to Microsoft with Feedback Hub

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Nov 21, 2021
  3. Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe) load GPU too much.

Hi Artur,

In order to help you with the issue about the Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe), kindly refer to the troubleshooting suggestions posted by Julie Ram dated January 16, 2018. Click the link below to access her posted troubleshooting steps which have been helpful
    to several Community members. This may also be the solution that you are looking for to resolve the issue at hand.

Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) using high usage gpu?

Let us know the result for us to help you further.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Nov 21, 2021
  4. brain829 Win User

Desktop Windows Manager high GPU usage persists

Several individuals have reported Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) using unrealistic amounts of GPU for video playback, gaming, or any high graphics intensive activity. Here is a list of just a few of the many requests for support on this issue:

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Example 4

Example 5

It has been a few years now that this problem has been reported, are there any accepted fixes. From what I gather, even those individuals with serious graphics cards are vulnerable to dwm.exe dominating their available GPU. I myself report this issue, even
    on games and design software with the settings at a minimum. For example, Java will be using ~45% of the available GPU, whereas dwm.exe takes up the remaining ~55%. As stated previously, the result is the entire system halting, not just the game. The mouse
    will take a few seconds to stutter across the screen, and task manager will take 5+ seconds to even appear.

There have been many suggestions and no results. Is that Microsoft's consensus then? Thank you ahead of time.

brain829, Nov 21, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows Desktop Manager Using more GPU than normal - Similar Threads - Desktop Manager Using

2. desktop window manager using alot of gpu

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    desktop window manager using alot of gpu: so i recently like 3 month ago, bought a new laptop. this laptop has both the intel built in gpu and nvidia rtx 3050 ti gpu. now there wasnt any porblem untill lately i noticed using wallpaper engine uses alot of the intel gpu so i set it to use the nvidia one. it fixed it...
  3. Desktop Window Manager using 100% of GPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Window Manager using 100% of GPU: Hello, I have just recently downloaded the latest update for windows 11, and after installing it I went to look at my task manager and noticed that my GPU utiliation was at 100%. I checked to see if it was just a bug with task manager however it was not as hwinfo also showed...
  4. Desktop Window Manager using 100% of GPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Window Manager using 100% of GPU: Hello, I have just recently downloaded the latest update for windows 11, and after installing it I went to look at my task manager and noticed that my GPU utiliation was at 100%. I checked to see if it was just a bug with task manager however it was not as hwinfo also showed...
  5. More frequent than normal BSODs

More frequent than normal BSODs: My current laptop, a Dell G15 5510 running windows 11 has been getting more blue screens than any laptop ive had before. Most have error codes relating to the gpu driver, but the nvidia drivers are up to date from nvidias app. Here are the Minidumps and system information...
  6. desktop window manager uses a lot of gpu.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop window manager uses a lot of gpu.: The problem with this desktop window manager, the first time I noticed a problem with it was when I was playing the game. It started lagging a lot for about 10+ seconds. After that, I looked in the task manager and saw about the same value as in the screenshot. I reinstalled...
  7. desktop window manager uses a lot of gpu.

desktop window manager uses a lot of gpu.: The problem with this desktop window manager, the first time I noticed a problem with it was when I was playing the game. It started lagging a lot for about 10+ seconds. After that, I looked in the task manager and saw about the same value as in the screenshot. I reinstalled...
  8. Windows Desktop Manager Using more GPU than normal

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Desktop Manager Using more GPU than normal: I was play a game on my laptop which is usually very smooth but now it’s frame rate drops more than normal so I checked the task manager and it looks like the Windows desktop manager is using more gpu than normal. I think that’s the problem, is there any way to fix this?...
  9. Windows Desktop Manager Using more GPU than normal

Windows Desktop Manager Using more GPU than normal: I was play a game on my laptop which is usually very smooth but now it’s frame rate drops more than normal so I checked the task manager and it looks like the Windows desktop manager is using more gpu than normal. I think that’s the problem, is there any way to fix this?...
  10. Windows using more than 6gb of ram in the desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows using more than 6gb of ram in the desktop: exactly as subject says, I have tried deleting files that could be malicious and screening for malware, even disabling lots of programs and deleting others that could be sketchy. Link to windows performance recorder on dropbox,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. www.windowsphoneinfo.com