Windows 10: Windows Desktop path is located in my D Drive: how to revert to C:\Users\Name\Desktop?

Discus and support Windows Desktop path is located in my D Drive: how to revert to C:\Users\Name\Desktop? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; During the reinstallation process of Windows 10 and then migrating to Windows 11, my desktop was created inside Onedrive despite me not using Onedrive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Sammy888, Sep 28, 2022.

1. Sammy888 Win User

Windows Desktop path is located in my D Drive: how to revert to C:\Users\Name\Desktop?

During the reinstallation process of Windows 10 and then migrating to Windows 11, my desktop was created inside Onedrive despite me not using Onedrive. Once the installation was finished, I uninstalled Onedrive.However, I believe a tweak was performed on my PC and my desktop is actually on D drive eg. D:\Main\Onedrive\Desktop\ despite program applications being installed on C drive eg: C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe.How do I fix the above?Thanks

:)

Sammy888, Sep 28, 2022

2. Desktop Folder's Location is set to C:\Users\USERNAME instead of C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop

I tried the temporary user profile and it worked! The location of all the user folders (including the desktop) are now in the D drive which was the original aim.

Although, the name of my user profile shows up as 'Desktop', but if you go into 'C:\Users\Ahnaf' it takes you to the 'Desktop' user folder and in the top directory bar it says C:\Users\Desktop but all the properties of the desktop don't take the place of
    the user profile folder.

I guess it's fixed now - I'll just deal with my user folder being called 'Desktop'. Windows Desktop path is located in my D Drive: how to revert to C:\Users\Name\Desktop? :D

Thanks for all the help!

Ahnaf Tahmid, Sep 28, 2022
  3. Desktop Folder's Location is set to C:\Users\USERNAME instead of C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop

I was changing the location of the user folders (documents, pictures, downloads e.t.c) to my D drive instead of C because it has more space but accidentally messed up the location of the desktop folder. I then tried to change it back to how it was by setting
    its location to C:\Users\USERNAME but it didn't know the actual location should be C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop.

Now the desktop folder has somehow taken up the location of my user folder, and if I try to create another folder with my username, it just says that the desktop IS the user folder. Anything I put in the desktop folder, of course, shows up on the pc desktop.

Since this desktop folder takes the location of the user folder, it contains the AppData folder. If I try to move the folder properly to the D drive again, it gives the error message 'Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that
    can't be redirected. Access Denied.' If I try to restore default - C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop - the most obvious solution I get another error saying 'Cant redirect a parent to a child. The specified path is invalid.'

I searched for a solution and I found that going into Regedit and then Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders and clicking on Desktop, you can change the location. I tried this and entered the default
    location, restarted the computer, as well as the new location I was trying to get. Both times Regedit says the location is changed but there aren't any changes in the users folder.

So now I've ended up with C:\Users containing 'defaultuser0', 'Desktop' and 'Public'. and my D drive containing all the user folders (documents, pictures, downloads e.t.c). I don't really know if it will cause any problems, but I don't think having the USERNAME
    folder and the Desktop folder merged together is very good...

Ahnaf Tahmid, Sep 28, 2022
  4. bhefff Win User

Windows Desktop path is located in my D Drive: how to revert to C:\Users\Name\Desktop?

Merged Desktop with D drive

So my desktop was filling up space on my C drive, which is a 180gb SSD, so i tried to change the location to my D drive which is a 2tb HDD, but it merged the two and i cant revert the desktop back because my Program files on D are filled with games so
    its too big for C and i cant move those program files anywhere else.

bhefff, Sep 28, 2022
Thema:

1. Windows Desktop path is located in my D Drive: how to revert to C:\Users\Name\Desktop? - Similar Threads - Desktop path located

2. Windows Desktop path is located in my D Drive: how to revert to C:\Users\Name\Desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Desktop path is located in my D Drive: how to revert to C:\Users\Name\Desktop?: During the reinstallation process of Windows 10 and then migrating to Windows 11, my desktop was created inside Onedrive despite me not using Onedrive. Once the installation was finished, I uninstalled Onedrive.However, I believe a tweak was performed on my PC and my desktop...
  3. Desktop und Download Location path linked? How to revert?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop und Download Location path linked? How to revert?: Hi, I wanted to set the path of the Downloads to Desktop. So I clicked on the properties of the Download folder, went to the Location tab and changed the path to: C:\Users\*Username*\DesktopI now realise this was not what I wanted. Desktop is now named "Downloads" and links...
  4. Desktop und Download Location path linked? How to revert?

Desktop und Download Location path linked? How to revert?: Hi, I wanted to set the path of the Downloads to Desktop. So I clicked on the properties of the Download folder, went to the Location tab and changed the path to: C:\Users\*Username*\DesktopI now realise this was not what I wanted. Desktop is now named "Downloads" and links...
  5. How to revert folder change to D drive

How to revert folder change to D drive: I was trying to set my download folder to be inside of my Data D drive. I accidentally set it to instead be the entire D drive itself instead of a folder inside of it. When this happened, the folders in the D drive went from being listed in alphabetical order to now having...
  6. How to revert folder change to D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to revert folder change to D drive: I was trying to set my download folder to be inside of my Data D drive. I accidentally set it to instead be the entire D drive itself instead of a folder inside of it. When this happened, the folders in the D drive went from being listed in alphabetical order to now having...
  7. My desktop view is my D drive instead of my C drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My desktop view is my D drive instead of my C drive: I need help to revert the view of my desktop. It was originally the C drive where all my main files are there but after I moved a game file to D drive, my desktop view suddenly changes to my D drive files....
  8. Windows is in my C and D drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows is in my C and D drive.: After I tried to update my PC with Windows 10 setup, I saw at the end it said it wanted to remove ALL my files and settings on my pc because it was in an unsupported directory. So I checked my C and D drive and saw "Windows" and "Windows10Upgrade" in both drives. I checked...
  9. I change the location path of my download system folder from drive C to drive D

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I change the location path of my download system folder from drive C to drive D: I change the location path of my download system folder from drive C to drive D by right clicking the system folder, then I click theLocation tab, click the Move tab and I select the Drive D and then i clickedapply. And then it messed up. The Download icon now becomes a...
  10. How to change file path from C drive (OS) to D drive (storage)

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change file path from C drive (OS) to D drive (storage): I have just bought a dell inspiron operating with windows 10. The default settings were to save files to the C drive which was home to apps, general settings etc. I want to be able to save all my files, photos, music etc to the D drive which is 1TB of storage. I have tried...