Windows 10: Windows desktop stopped working in dual-boot.

Discus and support Windows desktop stopped working in dual-boot. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have seen posts where Windows 10 has frozen in the login screen, or stuck in a blue screen, but this problem is slightly different. When I boot into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Davidjj2, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Davidjj2 Win User

Windows desktop stopped working in dual-boot.

I have seen posts where Windows 10 has frozen in the login screen, or stuck in a blue screen, but this problem is slightly different. When I boot into Windows from the GRUB screen, on a dual-boot with ubuntu, I get past the login screen to my normal desktop picture -but, for the past few days, the screen has shown nothing but a blank taskbar -no apps, no control panel, no file manager -just the clock, and a start-button that does not work. (I can't say what version of Windows 10 I have, as I have no way of getting into Windows 10!) It's as if Windows 10 is no longer on my PC -and yet I can see the Windows files in Ubuntu, even if I can't get into them. Does anyone have any idea what may have gone wrong? (there may have been a Windows update when I last switched off Windows 10, but I would not swear to it.)

:)

Davidjj2, Jun 23, 2021

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jun 23, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Jun 23, 2021
  4. topgundcp Win User

Help with dual booting Win 10 and Ubuntu

This is your whole problem. What you should have done is to put GRUB in sdb1 and Windows Manager in sda1 so that Windows Boot Manager is in control.
    So what suggested above will not make any difference. GRUB is still in control of booting process.
    To fix your problem. You will need to:
    1. Move GRUB from sdb to sdb1
      |grub2 - how to move grub boot from one partition to another in linux - Ask Ubuntu
    2. Rebuild The Windows Boot Manager ie. create a brand new BCD to boot Windows 10.
    3. Once done with steps 1 and 2 above. Windows will not know UBUNTU exists and vice versa.
      Depend on the priority set in the BIOS, it will boot directly into that OS.
      However, you can boot either one from Boot Menu (Using whatever key that your Laptop assigned to: F2, F10....)
      Since I hate Dual Boot and seldom boot into Linux, I will stop here.
      Now, go to step 4 to create dual boot.
    4. Use Easy BCD to create an entry for dual boot with UBUNTU. Once done, you should get a nice GUI dual Boot Menu
      and it will boot directly into either Windows or UBUNTU.

Here's the detailed explanation: How can I move windows 10 boot files to another drive to allow linux

topgundcp, Jun 23, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows desktop stopped working in dual-boot. - Similar Threads - desktop stopped working

2. Error occurred on dual booting my desktop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error occurred on dual booting my desktop.: I tried to dual boot my desktop. But there was a problem occurred during the installing process. But after restarting the computer is not opening. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-occurred-on-dual-booting-my-desktop/297721fc-5663-4ebb-9389-402a9cc240f9
  3. Error occurred on dual booting my desktop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error occurred on dual booting my desktop.: I tried to dual boot my desktop. But there was a problem occurred during the installing process. But after restarting the computer is not opening. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-occurred-on-dual-booting-my-desktop/297721fc-5663-4ebb-9389-402a9cc240f9
  4. Error occurred on dual booting my desktop.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Dual Monitors stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Monitors stopped working: Hi there! My dual monitors were working absolutely fine until about a month ago.Now one monitor is connected via HDMI and the other is connected via HDMI> DVI adapter.The both worked without a problem. Until my PC stopped recognising the monitor on the DVI connection.Now the...
  6. Dual Monitors stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Monitors stopped working: Hi there! My dual monitors were working absolutely fine until about a month ago.Now one monitor is connected via HDMI and the other is connected via HDMI> DVI adapter.The both worked without a problem. Until my PC stopped recognising the monitor on the DVI connection.Now the...
  7. Dual screen setup stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual screen setup stopped working: Hello, I had a dual screen setup working without any problem. One monitor is asus VG27Q1R the other one is DELL U2518D. Graphic card is amd 5700xt. More than a month ago I contacted asus support to request the display widget lite program, which allow to change brightness...
  8. Dual Screens have stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual Screens have stopped working: On my display settings I keep getting my second screen trying to be bought into action and then disappearing. It is like the detection finds it but cannot hold onto it and the connection is dropped. This has happened after a Windows update today. Any clues?...
  9. Windows not working after dual boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows not working after dual boot: I have Dell Inspiron 5570, i5 8th gen, 2 TB Hard drive, 16GB intel optane and 8 GB RAM. I tried dual boot my PC with ubuntu 16.04, but I was not getting any drive details. So I used terminal in live ubuntu environment with following command: sudo dmraid -E -r /dev/sda After...
  10. Remote desktop dual boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote desktop dual boot: Currently I have win 10 and win 8 dual boot, is there any way to change the boot order from remote desktop? I mean remote into win 10 and get it to restart in win 8 and vice versa? Tim 8795