Windows 10: Windows destroyed 500 GB worth of data.

Discus and support Windows destroyed 500 GB worth of data. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Long story short, I was using an external hard disk to store my video edits for work - hence the size and while I've been using it fine for three... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/hellosandwich_, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Windows destroyed 500 GB worth of data.

Long story short, I was using an external hard disk to store my video edits for work - hence the size and while I've been using it fine for three months now, yesterday I got a notif "the external hard drive is not working properly - click here to repair".

However, it was working just fine until today I clicked on it and it said: "the folder is empty". I started panicking so I thought maybe clicking on that stupid message would solve the thing but guess what - it didn't. I lost everything probably even before doing that.

I thought it maybe had to do with the fact that the folder was password-protected (bat file - it's been working for three months fine) or the hard drive itself but I tested it on other devices and everything was okay.

I am literally devastated and maybe a tiny bit of me hopes someone here knows how to fix this but even I know it's not possible to fix.

Note that I was using the same hard drive on windows 7 and there were no issues there today/yesterday.

submitted by /u/hellosandwich_
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/hellosandwich_, Nov 19, 2019

2. storage .........c drive is increased to 500 gb........but how?

harddisk with 500 GB total

I divided it into 4 partitions and only my C drive is showing 500 GB.

why is it showing 500 GB?

bhupeshguptha, Nov 19, 2019
  3. qubit Win User
    How to install outlook express on windows xp with explorer 8?

This is an awkward problem to solve and one I don't think is worth the time and effort.

The OP would be better off either using a modern webmail service like gmail or outlook.com or using a modern email client like Windows Live Mail like FX-GMC suggested or Thunderbird from Mozilla. If nothing else, Outlook Distress was notorious for corrupting its data files and losing all your email in one easy step. Not worth it.

qubit, Nov 19, 2019
  4. Windows destroyed 500 GB worth of data.

How to change Windows 10 OS from 500 Gb HDD to 1TB SSHD (hybrid driver)

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description you are willing to move your Windows 10 OS from 500 Gb HDD to 1TB SSHD (hybrid driver).

I want to inform you that if you will move the OS from 500 Gb HDD to 1TB SSHD (hybrid driver) then there might be a chance that you will face activation issue. If you have the product key for Windows 10 then you may go ahead. Otherwise you might need to
    get in touch with the manufacturer for the confirmation of the same.

However, you may follow the steps provided by Andre Da Costa in the thread mentioned below. Though the thread deals with Windows 8 but steps holds good for Windows 10 too.

Moving Windows 8 to an SSD

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Nov 19, 2019
Thema:

Windows destroyed 500 GB worth of data.

1. Windows destroyed 500 GB worth of data. - Similar Threads - destroyed 500 worth

2. Is it worth upgrading to Windows 11 in case of 4 GB RAM?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it worth upgrading to Windows 11 in case of 4 GB RAM?: Hello,I am currently using Windows 10 and satisfied with it but I am thinking to upgrade to the newer version of Windows.Want to inquire if it is feasible to install Windows 11 if I have only 4GB RAM on my laptop?...
  3. Is it worth upgrading to Windows 11 in case of 4 GB RAM?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it worth upgrading to Windows 11 in case of 4 GB RAM?: Hello,I am currently using Windows 10 and satisfied with it but I am thinking to upgrade to the newer version of Windows.Want to inquire if it is feasible to install Windows 11 if I have only 4GB RAM on my laptop?...
  4. Is it worth upgrading to Windows 11 in case of 4 GB RAM?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. 500 GB Toshiba External Hard Drive.

500 GB Toshiba External Hard Drive.: Hi can anyone please help. Recently purchased the above unit, and it worked 100%, recently tried to backup my new computer [Windows 10 -Lenovo} and I now find, that my ex.hardrive only shows - 35 gb of free space it should be showing 465 gb ??????? .Please help/advise....
  6. So, windows decided to take up 500 GB as system reserved.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    So, windows decided to take up 500 GB as system reserved.: Ive googled it, but nothing worked. You read it right. Windows takes up 500 GB, wich is... Not great. Ive looked in partition manager, where i saw a few partitions, besides c: . So, a i think its normal, that there are a few partitions, but i dont think its normal, that one...
  7. Replacing 256 GB SSD C drive with larger 500 GB using macrium clone

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Replacing 256 GB SSD C drive with larger 500 GB using macrium clone: I have an ASUS GL552 laptop with a 256GB SSD C drive and a 1TB hdd I am swapping out the SSD with a larger one. Can I use macrium to mirror the old SSD C drive and restore the mirrored image to the new larger capacity SSD? any pros or cons using mirrored image vs clone of...
  8. Is It Worth It?

Is It Worth It?: so, im a student, and i only have one machine which is my laptop, which is decent in performance, and has too much RAM (16 gigs), and in my previous machine, i was an insider, and so i would like to find out if it is worth it being an insider for windows 10, and if so, then...
  9. 500 GB USB reduced to 30 GB USB SSD - how do I revert back to 500 GB?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    500 GB USB reduced to 30 GB USB SSD - how do I revert back to 500 GB?: I purchased a 500 GB USB drive. Based on another problem I downloaded Windows 10 supposedly bootable USB files. The procedure erased my 500GB SSD and installed the supposedly bootable USB files.I ultimately used a bootable DVD drive instead. Now the 500GB SSD shows as a 30...
  10. 500 GB USB reduced to 30 GB USB SSD - how do I revert back to 500 GB?

in Windows 10 Support
    500 GB USB reduced to 30 GB USB SSD - how do I revert back to 500 GB?: I purchased a 500 GB USB drive. Based on another problem I downloaded Windows 10 supposedly bootable USB files. The procedure erased my 500GB SSD and installed the supposedly bootable USB files.I ultimately used a bootable DVD drive instead. Now the 500GB SSD shows as a 30...