Windows 10: Windows destroyed file permissions instead of adding them

Discus and support Windows destroyed file permissions instead of adding them in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, so, I was replacing my hard drive and decided to simply remove the old one and install Windows 10 in the new hard drive, then I wanted to move... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ZeroB, Nov 11, 2018.

1. ZeroB Win User

Windows destroyed file permissions instead of adding them

Hello, so, I was replacing my hard drive and decided to simply remove the old one and install Windows 10 in the new hard drive, then I wanted to move the files from the old drive to the new one so I just popped the old drive into an external USB enclosure; inserted the drive into the USB port and then to access my profile Windows asked to change file permissions (I did and this was the problem), but until now all was good since I was able to copy my files into the new drive.

The issue was that when I decided to install the old drive back into the computer (to check what programs had installed and possibly make more backups), the Windows installation was a huge mess because apparently when I accepted to change file permissions; Windows (instead of simply adding the new user permissions) made a huge mess and deleted many original file permissions.

The question is. Why does Windows destroys file permissions when in theory it should simply add one permission to all the files?

And how am I supposed to access files (from my USB enclosure) without destroying the permissions?

:)

ZeroB, Nov 11, 2018

2. cannot access file/or permissions

I have a file i need to run on Windows 7 Home Premium. I get the error message saying "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

So I right click and choose Properties to access the permissions but I cannot. In the Security tab I get a message saying, " You do not have permission to view or edit this objects permission settings.".

Next I boot into the Windows 7 Hidden Administrator Mode - and even with this I get all the same error messages.

Please help me as I really need to run This file.

John Phoenix, Nov 11, 2018
  3. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Nov 11, 2018
  4. Windows destroyed file permissions instead of adding them

Reset Windows 10 file permissions to default

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

• Are you receiving any error message while accessing any files?
    I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Startup troubleshooter.

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type Powershell
    • Type the following in the Powershell prompt:
    $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

6. Close the Powershell window

7. Reboot

Method 2: If you are facing issues accessing files, then I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

This may be caused by incorrect permissions on the files.

You can fix this using these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Nov 11, 2018
Thema:

Windows destroyed file permissions instead of adding them

1. Windows destroyed file permissions instead of adding them - Similar Threads - destroyed file permissions

2. Recovering/Destroying Deleted Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovering/Destroying Deleted Files: When files are deleted from a disk volume, surely they're erased forever, right? Wrong! They can still be recovered with a deep scan of the disk sector and marked for recovery or destruction. Such include Recuva, DiskGenius or EaseUS. To recover or destroy files on a disk...
  3. Adding individual files to Windows 10 libraries instead of folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding individual files to Windows 10 libraries instead of folders?: Like the title stated, I was able to find how to add folders but not files alone. 20H2 179176
  4. Drag and dropping files copies them instead of moving them. How can I change this?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Drag and dropping files copies them instead of moving them. How can I change this?: I don't want to have to hold a button each time I do it. It's difficult to remember and I just want to move things, not create new copies of them. submitted by /u/Zoofyooo [link] [comments]...
  5. Azure Portal Adding Permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Azure Portal Adding Permissions: Hi Team, In Azure portal after adding API permissions for an app in App Registrations, we are not getting consent screen. Microsoft says that if we add permissions to an app registration, end users are prompted with consent screen. Earlier we used to get consent screen...
  6. Special Permissions instead of Administrator Rights

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Special Permissions instead of Administrator Rights: I was having problems with my computer so I did a reinstall. I thought it would go to factory reset I don't think it did. So my problem is that I installed Windows 7 came with computer and then upgraded to Windows10. I created accounts with the e-mails. Each account is...
  7. You were supposed to destroy them, NOT JOIN THEM!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    You were supposed to destroy them, NOT JOIN THEM!: [ATTACH] Here's what happen: When I tried to run troubleshooter, the prompt window told me "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." Yep, of course....
  8. open files instead of always saving them

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    open files instead of always saving them: I still haven't mastered the concept of just being able to open a file without saving it. I end up deleting tons of useless data, and it gets annoying. Can anyone offer me a solution?...
  9. Windows 10 has added keyboard layout without my permission, can't get rid of them

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 has added keyboard layout without my permission, can't get rid of them: Windows 10 has added 2 more keyboard layouts without my permission and I can't get rid of them since they are not displayed in the language section of the settings where the other layouts can be found....
  10. Dragging icons opens the files instead of moving them

in Windows 10 Support
    Dragging icons opens the files instead of moving them: If the solution above does not fix your problem ... Perhaps your mouse button has become hyper-sensitive. You press and hold the left-button to drag. But the button/switch might be defective. It might double-click without you knowing it! A new mouse might solve the problem.