Windows 10: Windows detect HDMI as DVI

Discus and support Windows detect HDMI as DVI in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Today 2 forced updated occured and then my resolution went to ****, and I have no audio from my tv, I tried reinstalling the graphics card's driver... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GianSolomita, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Windows detect HDMI as DVI

Today 2 forced updated occured and then my resolution went to ****, and I have no audio from my tv, I tried reinstalling the graphics card's driver thrice and nothing, I downloaded the new windows major update, and nothing, I still haven't reinstalled windows but I see nothing else to do Windows detect HDMI as DVI 401abef2-b7af-4d26-97fd-d94d62dc3b6d?upload=true.png

:)

GianSolomita, Sep 10, 2020

2. HDMI to DVI Monitor Will Not Play Audio

Thanks for the suggestions, Deepika. I have a Samsung SyncMaster HDTV monitor and a SHARP monitor. I'm trying to get audio on the Samsung HDTV. I'm not sure if you need an audio cable when connecting to the HDTV. Anyways, I kept it on the television. Either
    way, it doesn't work. I ran the troubleshooter, and there isn't any problems. I tested all the cables yesterday, and everything works as usual. How are the HDMI cables supposed to connect and work with video and audio? Is there a driver problem? I believe
    it might be because my monitor is in the DVI port, instead of an HDMI. This is why it's not detecting on the sounds/playback devices. Plugging an audio cable in the secondary monitor with VGA works, but using an HDMI for the television does not. Using VGA
    for the television does work with audio. Not sure what the problem is, or if I have to plug the audio cable in the HDTV at all. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

UPDATE: Figured out the problem, testing. The HDMI cable although supports audio and video, the DVI connector
    does not. Because of this, the computer detects it as a DVI connection. It instead uses the regular audio cable. The television, however, does not. It detects HDMI first, and uses that as as the audio. Since there is no coming through the DVI
    connector and instead coming through the audio cable, it won't play anything. This can be half solved by changing the source device (source>edit name) on the Samsung television to HDMI DVI. This, however, does not fix it, as sound still doesn't come out. The
    computer still has to be changed to be able to play audio properly. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

ThomasChen_395, Sep 10, 2020
  3. Mussels Win User
    HDMI to DVI cable

HDMI and DVI are 100% the same with video. When they desigend HDMI, they used DVI as a base design - think of HDMI as DVI, but they removed the VGA compatibility and replaced that with the audio signal.

If you want audio, there can be extra steps (for example, Nvidia need an SPDIF cable between your video card and your sound card, while ATI require a special DVI to HDMI adaptor, and a normal HDMI cable - you cant use a DVI to HDMI cable)

Mussels, Sep 10, 2020
  4. Windows detect HDMI as DVI

cant detect tv with hdmi

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community and welcome to Windows 10 family.

Please try with these steps:

1. Right click on the Desktop.

2. Choose Screen Resolution.

3. Let’s see if TV has been detected. If not, press “Detect” button.

Also go through the below steps:

Step1:

Choose the connection for video output. If your computer has an HDMI port, otherwise, you will need to make a few decisions. If your computer has only a single video output, and it will not be used solely with the television, you may want to invest in a
    new video card. Purchase one with either a DVI or an HDMI output, and install it in an available slot, according the instructions included with it. If you intend to use the VGA output on a single-output or dual-output card to drive the HDMI display, then a
    special device will be needed to convert between the formats, and the price of the converter is actually about the same price as an entry-level video card that will be easier to use with your TV. In that case, it may be a wise idea to upgrade the card in order
    to obtain a DVI or HDMI port. However, if your chosen output port is of the DVI variety, an inexpensive DVI to HDMI cable can be purchased to convert your computer's output into the proper HDMI input for your TV.

Step 2:

Connect the HDMI cable from your television to your computer. Install the correct adapter or converter for your computer, if necessary. Unless your computer has HDMI output, cords will also need to be connected from the sound card output to the HDMI video
    cable or adapter, because HDMI carries both video and audio signals.

Step 3:

1. Boot your PC, and configure the new display,

2. Go to "Control Panel" from the "Start" Menu.

3. Double-click the "Display" icon and click the "Settings" tab.

The manual for your HDMI TV will list the screen resolutions it supports, along with the refresh rates.

Configure the resolution in the "Settings" tab, and then click the "Advanced" button to set the refresh rate.

If you are using the HDMI TV as the second monitor, you will also have to configure how it is used by Windows, according to the instructions pertaining to your video card. Most cards offer a "Clone" or "Mirror" mode, where both screens display the same content.
    Alternately, the "Extended Desktop" mode can be used, in which each monitor will operate independently.

Hope this helps. Please post us if you need any further assistance with Windows.

Thank you.

Sagnik_Chakraborty, Sep 10, 2020
Thema:

Windows detect HDMI as DVI

1. Windows detect HDMI as DVI - Similar Threads - detect HDMI DVI

2. dvi hdmi adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dvi hdmi adapter: When I try to connect my 2nd monitor with a hdmi port to computer with a dvi adapter containing hdmi I lose video on my 1st monitor.How do I rectify? Thanks for any help.pm...
  3. dvi hdmi adapter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dvi hdmi adapter: When I try to connect my 2nd monitor with a hdmi port to computer with a dvi adapter containing hdmi I lose video on my 1st monitor.How do I rectify? Thanks for any help.pm...
  4. dvi hdmi adapter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. DVI to HDMI adapter?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    DVI to HDMI adapter?: My new desktop came today and my monitor has a 9 pin plug (I believe that it’s an hdmi port? the monitor is an HP, model LV2311) the desk top has hdmi or dvi ports only. Is it best to get a dvi to hdmi adapter and use a hdmi cable, or get a dvi cable and skip the adapter.?
  6. hdmi to dual dvi

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hdmi to dual dvi: my windows 10 does not recognize the second monitor https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdmi-to-dual-dvi/45536e2d-2f17-4ad8-bf9f-7451f367f4e4
  7. HDMI to DVI converter?

HDMI to DVI converter?: my laptop display runs at 1920x1080 at 60hz refresh rate. i wanted to buy an external moniter for a bigger screen. my laptop only has 1 hdmi port and no dvi. i want the benefits of dvi as it can increase refresh rate according to the external monitor by using a hdmi to dvi...
  8. HDMI and DVI

HDMI and DVI: On PC monitors is the image better on a "HDMI" then a "DVI" connection? 44960
  9. DVI-D to HDMI problem

DVI-D to HDMI problem: My desktop (HP p7-1110) computer has been used for a few years with the monitor plugged into the VGA port. There's also a DVI-D port back there. I've recently acquired a larger monitor and wish to send it an HDMI signal which the old monitor wasn't capable of. I looked...
  10. HDMI inferior to DVI?

HDMI inferior to DVI?: I thought that a graphics card with both outputs would run the same resolutions from each. My HIS Radeon 5670 iceq has a max of 2560X1600 through DVI, the HIS spec's don't give a figure for the HDMI. The AMD site gives 2560X1600 for DVI and 1920X1200 for HDMI. I've been...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hdmi show as dvi

2. how to fix hdmi being recoginised as dvi

3. windows showing HDMI as DVI troubleshoot

4. vga to hdmi but still be detected as dvi,
  5. want recognize dvi after hdmi