Windows 10: Windows detects but won't play/rip one specific CD (which works fine elsewhere)

Discus and support Windows detects but won't play/rip one specific CD (which works fine elsewhere) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I regularly use Windows 10 to rip audio from compact discs for my personal collection (typically via iTunes). I've been having trouble with one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/crace_lunker, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Windows detects but won't play/rip one specific CD (which works fine elsewhere)

I regularly use Windows 10 to rip audio from compact discs for my personal collection (typically via iTunes). I've been having trouble with one specific CD and can't figure out why.

The problem is NOT that the CD doesn't work; I've tried playing it in another device and it went fine. The problem also isn't Windows failing to detect the CD; it does detect it, iTunes even fills in the metadata, but if I try to play it or rip it, it gets stuck. Other CDs have continued to work fine. I've tried iTunes, Windows Media Player, and a couple of different CD ripping apps that I downloaded (currently trying Express Rip CD Ripper)... no luck, they all get stuck.

Why could this be? Could it be some sort of compatibility issue? (The only thing I can think of is that this is a European CD and I'm on an American computer, could that somehow have something to do with it?)

Thanks for any help!

submitted by /u/crace_lunker
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/crace_lunker, Apr 7, 2021
  2. Rhen Pal Win User

RIP CDs

Hi,

We suggest that you perform these steps and check if the issue persists:

• Press "Windows" + "E" button on the keyboard.
    • Go to "View > Navigation pane" and select "Show libraries".
    • Now in the navigation pane, right-click on the "Music" library under "Libraries" and select "Delete".
    • Now right-click on the "Libraries" and select "Restore default libraries".
    • Now try to rip.

We also suggest that you refer to this link. Burn and rip CDs.

Regards.

Rhen Pal, Apr 7, 2021
  3. Unable to rip music to mp3 (but WMA works fine!)

Hello,

Windows 10 media player is refusing to rip a CD to MP3. I've tried all the stock suggestions on multiple similar posts:

• Error correction is turned on for the CD/DVD drive in Media Player.
    • There's a valid folder for it to rip to (have tried 2 separate drives, includng CWindows detects but won't play/rip one specific CD (which works fine elsewhere) :).
    • Have tried increasing quality to maximum for MP3.
    None of this has any effect; I still get the error message:

Windows Media Player cannot rip one or more tracks from the CD.

If I turn the file format to WMA, then I can rip fine (but I don't want it in WMA format).

Suggestions? I've seen posts on non-microsoft forums that suggest an MP3 codec might be the issue but that seems... odd when it plays mp3s just fine. Not sure where I would get a legitimate one either?

Thanks in advance!

dfare9gtegadafg, Apr 7, 2021
  4. Windows detects but won't play/rip one specific CD (which works fine elsewhere)

MEDIA PLAYER- unable to play or rip cd's

Hi Christine,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. We will be glad to assist you with the issue.

• Did you check if you are able to play using other CD'S?
    • What is the exact error message or code you receive when you try to play the cd or try to Rip?

For now let's try the below steps and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to check if the rip settings are set correctly as mentioned in this article:

Windows help & learning - Microsoft Support

Method 2:

I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the Windows Media player and check if the issue persists. Refer to these steps to uninstall and reinstall Windows Media player:

• Press Window key + F, select “Settings’ tab below the search box.
    • Type “Turn Windows features ON or OFF” and click on the tile with the same name.
    • Now, expand the “Media features” and uncheck the box against “Windows Media player”.
    • Restart the computer.
    • Now follow the same steps and check the box against “Windows Media player” and
      restart the computer to reinstall.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Hope it helps. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Apr 7, 2021
Thema:

Windows detects but won't play/rip one specific CD (which works fine elsewhere)

1. Windows detects but won't play/rip one specific CD (which works fine elsewhere) - Similar Threads - detects won't play

2. CD ripping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CD ripping: Hi guys. I am trying to rip my cd's to mp3 for personal ease. The first one copied well, then nothing else happened, the second and any other I insert shows the ripping going active, just hangs there pending while windows WMP seems to do updates. I ticked alot of boxes to...
  3. CD ripping

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CD ripping: Hi guys. I am trying to rip my cd's to mp3 for personal ease. The first one copied well, then nothing else happened, the second and any other I insert shows the ripping going active, just hangs there pending while windows WMP seems to do updates. I ticked alot of boxes to...
  4. Ripping CD's

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ripping CD's: SO windows Groove doesn't rip CD's and now your Media player is broken because it doesn't retrieve cd information. How do I rip my Cd's now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ripping-cds/890b3347-7c58-490b-b6c1-11491a1fb465
  5. ripping CD's

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    ripping CD's: When Im ripping CDs , I notice that when I check them out in my library in Albums, I get albums of other music I don't own nor care to...this pisses me off...I don't need music suggested to me to listen to...Other times Ill rip a single album, and then it shows it twice,...
  6. CD Ripping

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CD Ripping: With Windows 10 If I have an audiobook CD in my optical drive how do I rip it to a folder on my desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cd-ripping/b92b283c-841f-49ea-9b9e-a1cb56cbba86"
  7. rip cd

rip cd: How do I rip a cd to my hard drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rip-cd/a5499e64-d8ff-48ec-8510-4bd6c14c651c"
  8. ripping a cd

ripping a cd: can i still use my laptop to browse while i am ripping a cd? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/ripping-a-cd/96517814-07b7-44e3-aa33-e766fe5a2cf8
  9. Rip CD's

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Rip CD's: Media Player will not recognise some of my CD's and a cannot rip them....Is there a problem or a fix for this? It is not the format i.e mp3, it simply wont read them. Its only the discs with a bold clear line aroun the outside....
  10. rip cd

in Windows 10 Support
    rip cd: how to rip cds to computer for later download to mp3 19029