Windows 10: Windows DHCP stopped working and I can't restart it

Discus and support Windows DHCP stopped working and I can't restart it in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For some reason Windows DHCP service, for both IPv4 and IPv6, bugged by itself in one of my laptops, because the network adapters can't receive correct... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ksio89, May 24, 2020.

1. ksio89 Win User

Windows DHCP stopped working and I can't restart it

For some reason Windows DHCP service, for both IPv4 and IPv6, bugged by itself in one of my laptops, because the network adapters can't receive correct settings anymore. My gateway is 192.168.1.254, but both wireless and Ethernet adapter are receiving 169.254.1.x local IP and 255.255.0.0 subnet mask, when the proper addresses should be 192.168.1.x and 255.255.255.0 respectively.

As expected, when I set a static local IP on both adaptors, connectivity is restored. The other Windows machines and smartphone are assigned IPs fine, meaning my internet modem DHCP is working properly. I can't recall when this issue began, I believe it was a couple of days ago, probably after a Windows update (now running build 18363.816).

And now comes the actual issue: I found in this Superuser thread (Windows 10 not getting IP address from DHCP - Super User) that the solution is stopping and starting the DHCP Client service on a elevated command prompt:

net stop dhcp
    net start dhcp

However, even in adminstrative prompt, I get this error, which seems to be caused by lack of appropriate permission:

System error 5 has occurred.
    Access is denied.

I get the same error when attempting to stop or restart DHCP Client service on Services console. I searched everywhere on how to allow permission to stop and restart this service, like adding NETWORK SERVICE entity to DHCP Client service and granting it full permission, but I still couldn't restart this service. I'm short of doing a refresh install, because I just can't find a solution to this issue. I know I can always fix static local IPs, but I would like Windows DHCP to work again.

:)

ksio89, May 24, 2020

2. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, May 24, 2020
  3. Varry_DOS Win User
    Automatic IP not working unable to Restart /Stop/ DHCP Error 5:Access is Denied

Ran into this issue on my Wi Fi months back and nothing seems to be working.

So the DHCP won't work, and it won't fetch IP automatically . When I manually set it to Automatic, it reverts to Static within minutes, throwing my connection off. Have quarantined the system, run Winsock, DNS Flush, IP Reset, DNS
    reset and every other troubleshooting cmd on loop. Nothing is really sticking. Have tried muting firewalls and even manufacturing a DHCP reset on Services but it won't let me reset / stop DHCP; instead it'd pop up the error:

Error 5: Access Denied Windows Could Not Stop the DHCP client.

I added NETWORKSERVICE Full Control permissions here :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dhcp

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TcpIp

Not working still.

What's missing?

Varry_DOS, May 24, 2020
  4. TRWOV Win User

AMD processor has stopped working properly

1. Go to www.amd.com and download the most current drivers for your card and operating system.

2. In Windows 7 go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and features. In Windows XP go to Start > Control Panel > Add and remove programs

3. Look for AMD Catalyst Install Manager in the list of installed programs. Right click on it and select "Change".

3A. If you don't find the AMD Catalyst Install Manager then most likely you're using the default Windows drivers which are severely outdated. If that's the case skip to step 5.

4. Select the third option "Uninstall all the AMD software". Follow the instructions. Restart your PC.

5. Go to your downloads folder and run the driver installer you downloaded in step 1. Select express installation and follow the instructions. Restart your PC after installing.

TRWOV, May 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows DHCP stopped working and I can't restart it - Similar Threads - DHCP stopped working

2. Unable to restart DHCP error 5

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to restart DHCP error 5: The ethernet I am connected o in my institution has stopped working. When diagnosed, it just says the IP configuration is invalid. I have gotten in touch with the IT department and they said everything is good on their end and the only thing they can suggest is if I restarted...
  3. DHCP working, Network does not

DHCP working, Network does not: My windows 10 system stopped accessing the network a couple of days ago. Now, it will not communicate externally after initial DHCP set-up. ping returns general failure. Have reset/deleted network drivers/settings. I even updated to the latest Win10 update. No change. I can...
  4. Windows 10 stopped working and I can't reinstall

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 stopped working and I can't reinstall: I was working on my computer one day and was rendering a video in Premiere, but then my PC froze for a good minute and blue screened (the stop code was MEMORY_MANAGEMENT if that helps.) Afterwards my PC would just boot into the BIOS and wouldn't boot into Windows. I tried...
  5. Cannot stop and start the Dhcp service.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot stop and start the Dhcp service.: Hello, for something I'm working on I need to be able to stop and start the DHCP service. However, I am unable to do so because when I tried to attempt to stop the service I get "Access is denied" and "System error 5 has occurred". I do not believe the problem is because...
  6. Everything just stopped working and I can't shutdown/restart?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Everything just stopped working and I can't shutdown/restart?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Finbob233 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i7v7i4/everything_just_stopped_working_and_i_cant/
  7. DHCP error 5 access denied. Unable to stop, restart, ect...

DHCP error 5 access denied. Unable to stop, restart, ect...: I am unable to access my internet. I know the modem and cable are good because i have tested it on multiple devices. I am trying to restart my DHCP but it just keeps telling me access denied. I have messed with the permissions, all the command prompt while run as administator...
  8. Unable to restart dhcp client

Unable to restart dhcp client: Hi, I know there are some post about the same subject but any of the solutions provided have work for me so I'm looking for help for this problem that has taken all the day. Originally the problem started with a light cut I think at the office and all the laptops have...
  9. Windows 10 1903 DHCP not working

Windows 10 1903 DHCP not working: On 10/4 at the end of the day all our Windows 10 Pro 1903 workstations were working. Today we came in and started up the PC and get updates date 10/7. After that DHCP requests returned 169... addresses. We tried: Updating NIC drive Resetting IP stack Uninstalling...
  10. Sound stops working ~ Audiosrv can't be restarted (Error 1053)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound stops working ~ Audiosrv can't be restarted (Error 1053): Randomly, usually after I come back to the computer after a break, I find that the sound has stopped working, and is also affecting some related areas. This has the following symptoms: * Winamp can't start a track anymore, and crashes when trying to do so (does not respond)...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Dhcp. Service wont restart

2. dhcp errpr stoped working windows 10