Windows 10: Windows dir name

Discus and support Windows dir name in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My computer will not start. My probing has revealed that Windows is "gone" Where it's supposed to be is a dir called"$WINDOWS.·-BT" I can't get the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Viragodawg, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Windows dir name

My computer will not start. My probing has revealed that Windows is "gone"

Where it's supposed to be is a dir called"$WINDOWS.·-BT" I can't get the squiggly line to type.

1.what is the correct name of the Windows 10 directory?

2. How do I change it in the CMD prompt?

:)

Viragodawg, Feb 28, 2020

2. dir Difficulties

I am getting the hang of this command set.

Maybe somebody know a work around that will list the three time stamps at one time.
    Theoretically dir /TC /TA /TW.
    dir will only show one of the three at one time.

To me it seems that the only way to get all three on a line is to run loop with output to file, then boiling down the three outputs to one line. Clumsy but maybe the only way to get the job done?

Thanks for any suggestions.

mikeincousa, Feb 28, 2020
  3. maxim__s Win User
    Bug: cannot rename the file/dir to a name starting with "."

Just try to create, using Explorer GUI, a new dir with the name starting with "."

Surely it will, as usually in Windows, create "New Folder" and then rename to the new name.

And the rename step fails with the error of "Rename: You must type a file name"

"md" and "move" from the command line work fine.

maxim__s, Feb 28, 2020
  4. Try3 Win User

Windows dir name

dir Difficulties

Kari - We are both saying the same thing. Dir lists files and its lists can be sorted. Dir does not do anything to the files themselves but only to the lists it produces. Denis

Thema:

Windows dir name

1. Windows dir name - Similar Threads - dir name

2. Unable to delete a DIR with character "&" in the name in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete a DIR with character "&" in the name in Windows 10: I have created by mistake a DIR in C:\> by the name of "Jazz & Musical - " without "" of course and with a space at the end of it; the DIR is empty.1 I cannot delete or rename that DIR with the usual Windows 10 commad "delete" and "rename"2 Then I tried in DOS with "CMD".3 I...
  3. Unable to delete a DIR with character "&" in the name in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to delete a DIR with character "&" in the name in Windows 10: I have created by mistake a DIR in C:\> by the name of "Jazz & Musical - " without "" of course and with a space at the end of it; the DIR is empty.1 I cannot delete or rename that DIR with the usual Windows 10 commad "delete" and "rename"2 Then I tried in DOS with "CMD".3 I...
  4. Unable to delete a DIR with character "&" in the name in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. MS PowerShell: The "dir" command can't find a direct subdirectory with the exact name.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS PowerShell: The "dir" command can't find a direct subdirectory with the exact name.: It's a simple error happened when executing a "dir" command to find the "+Link" directory in the "Test" directory:Windows 11, Up to date on 2022-07-13....
  6. MS PowerShell: The "dir" command can't find a direct subdirectory with the exact name.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS PowerShell: The "dir" command can't find a direct subdirectory with the exact name.: It's a simple error happened when executing a "dir" command to find the "+Link" directory in the "Test" directory:Windows 11, Up to date on 2022-07-13....
  7. How to delete a file with long filename dir /x to get 8.3 file name doesn't work

How to delete a file with long filename dir /x to get 8.3 file name doesn't work: I cannot delete a file with a long filename, the standard technique find the 8.3 filename with DIR /X doesn't work.DIR /x yields05/01/2021 08:08 AM 487,828 MAN Manu Koenig - I am elated that the Nissan dealership on 41st Ave has been canceled. The...
  8. Getting Error: Fatal: Could not create work tree dir 'folder's name in repository':No such...

Getting Error: Fatal: Could not create work tree dir 'folder's name in repository':No such...: Hello. My operating system is Windows 10 Home. It's default operating system when I bought my laptop from official store. First of all, I don't know is it my real problem or not , but most probably it is write permission, I guess. So I want to describe my problem precisely....
  9. Windows 10 shortened my name to make my Users dir

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 shortened my name to make my Users dir: Hi all, I just installed build 10162 clean on my desktop. All went well. I found NVidia drivers and installed without issue. I noticed, however, that windows created my Users dir as 'C:\Users\darre' when my name is correctly shown in the control panel and account info...
  10. Hidden char in file name showed by command dir

in Windows 10 Support
    Hidden char in file name showed by command dir: Hi, In tracking a bug in app, I discovered something very odd. I have a strange file name in a directory. If I do a dir command the file name appearing is not the same as with Win Explorer! Even the copy paste from the console removes the extra char. Attached...