Windows 10: Windows Directory folder sorting / generation

Discus and support Windows Directory folder sorting / generation in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Dear Community, My problem is very specific. When searching and displaying 3000 folders in Windows 10 File explorer, or Saving Microsoft 360 Word /... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by 10GBFibre, Mar 19, 2019.

1. 10GBFibre Win User

Windows Directory folder sorting / generation

Dear Community,

My problem is very specific. When searching and displaying 3000 folders in Windows 10 File explorer, or Saving Microsoft 360 Word / Excel docs to that same directory on my NAS network drive - the time it takes for this is too long. Admittedly yes it is a NAS network drive however there is a very important consideration here and that is that there is one other PC which is using the same NAS and there is no delay on that other PC when doing the above tasks - put simply on that other PC everything is instantaneous.

Differences between pc's

1. Mine - Windows 10 home retail, Ryzen 3 1300x 8GB ram. Current SSD 860 evo. All firmware updated everywhere. Build is no longer than 12 months old

2. Other - Windows 10 Home oem, Intel 8th Gen i5, 8GB Ram. Current SSD 850 Evo. All firmware updated everywhere. Build is no longer than 2 months old.

Mine is still a recent generation CPU so im not sure what the actual problem is here.

Before anyone responds with 'try setting folder display settings to general items' - i have set it to show that already. I have also explored the indexing settings and rebuilt my index (although i cant rebuild a NAS index i believe as its not on any local drives).

I have also installed a fresh clean copy of windows 10 retail on a new SSD thinking it is the SSD or even Windows having a corrupted index, virus etc. Still same problem. I have even taken the fresh copy out and put it into the other pc to use its hardware and booted from it - Still same problem.

Thanks in Advance Community

:)

10GBFibre, Mar 19, 2019
  2. Drone Win User

Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Mar 19, 2019
  3. Directory Size Utility

Thanks buddy! Yea, this section's not dead. Kreij and I have big plans for this section. I don't want to give nothing away, but we have some bigger projects down the road. *Toast :toast: I feel I'm pretty good at coding with different languages, but I'm well behind Kreij's level of experience with those other Languages. I've been working on those other languages, and soon I'll feel comfortable enough to start, and not feel like I'm holding the project back. *Toast :toast:

Now on to your suggestions.

• maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that? Yea, that's been bothering me and I like your suggestion "Add Folder". I'll change it on the next release.
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs) I could add this, but let me see if I understand what you're asking. By subfolders you mean add all the folders in the left panel to the right panel? Those folders are all the subfolders in the "Get folder".
    • maybe you also add export list to excel? I'll add this on the next release.
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too? I'll add this on the next release.
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories? I'll add this on the next release.
    These are all great suggestions! Thanks Drone! *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Mar 19, 2019
  4. Windows Directory folder sorting / generation

Directory Size Utility

Change Log v1.6

• Resoved an issue where selecting "Detail" from the "View" drop down would cause duplicates.
    • New "Peek" feature!
      • Selecting something in the Directory column in the Directory view (Left window) while holding "z" will peek into that directory!
      • Double clicking the Directory column in the directory view(Left window) while holding "z" will add the folder.
    • New color coded feature in both Size columns for Detailed view.
    • Exporting to Excel will now Export both Folder (left) and File (right) window. In the excel file the Folder, and File window will be on different sheets.
    • Add a feature to export to older excel 97-2003 (.xls) from the file/export drop down window.
    Download HERE!

Don't forget to enter to win this game bundle! here Drawing is this Friday!

Mindweaver, Mar 19, 2019
Thema:

Windows Directory folder sorting / generation

1. Windows Directory folder sorting / generation - Similar Threads - Directory folder sorting

2. IIS10 Directory Sorting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    IIS10 Directory Sorting: I have IIS10 installed on Windows 10 Enterprise to use as a simple file share for media and music.The problem I have is that when I browse to my server from a broswer or a media app, the directories don't sort correctly.The directories are named alpha numeric, for exampleTV...
  3. IIS10 Directory Sorting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    IIS10 Directory Sorting: I have IIS10 installed on Windows 10 Enterprise to use as a simple file share for media and music.The problem I have is that when I browse to my server from a broswer or a media app, the directories don't sort correctly.The directories are named alpha numeric, for exampleTV...
  4. IIS10 Directory Sorting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. sorting folders in windows 10

sorting folders in windows 10: is there a way to sort folders by size in windows 10? the only way i can determine it is by adding the size of the contents manually. thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sorting-folders-in-windows-10/93a5693e-14c6-40e5-8203-175ed2a60e59
  6. Sorting folders and the sub folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sorting folders and the sub folders: Hello. I have a huge music archive and recently had to format and clean install my windows 10, meanwhile I had my archive in my HDD. Now the problem is, my song folder had around 1200~ albums in it, every album in that main folder was ordered by Date and inside every album it...
  7. Persistent generation of Found.xxx files in root directory

in Windows 10 Support
    Persistent generation of Found.xxx files in root directory: Winver 1903 Hi, I have a relatively new computer system with a Crucial MX500 SSD (1 TB) The problem that I am having is that folders that are named Found.xxx (where xxx is numerically sequenced) and are constantly created in the root drive of C The folders are always...
  8. Sort FOLDERS

Sort FOLDERS: Hi everyone !!! a very good day to U. so I wanted to sort out my files and folders, where I found out that there is no way to sort my FOLDERS(!). with files like pics or docs it was very easy.I even added tags to some of my pics so that i can sort them according to my...
  9. File explorer sort all folders/directories the same

File explorer sort all folders/directories the same: All i want to do is to sort all directories across windows 10 the same as a directory I have already sorted the way I want all of them to look like. In other words i have manually sorted a directory the way i want all of them across my computer to look like. Seems like I've...
  10. Randomly generated hidden folders in the Users directory.

Randomly generated hidden folders in the Users directory.: Hello, there are these weird user folders getting generated in the Users folder, they seem to delete themselves and regenerate every day and I have no idea what they are or for, is it for Windows Update? The names of this files are weird too like angels-wore.sql...