Windows 10: Windows disappeared my Downloads folder when moving it to OneDrive

Discus and support Windows disappeared my Downloads folder when moving it to OneDrive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Alrighty... I moved my Documents, Pictures, and Music folders to OneDrive successfully. So when I tried to move my Downloads folder using the same... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cbiweb, Jul 11, 2021.

1. cbiweb Win User

Windows disappeared my Downloads folder when moving it to OneDrive

Alrighty... I moved my Documents, Pictures, and Music folders to OneDrive successfully. So when I tried to move my Downloads folder using the same method, Windows turned that Downloads folder into a OneDrive folder, instead of a Downloads folder that resides in OD. How do I reverse that change to get my normal Downloads folder back? To clarify, this is the method I used, to move the folders: 1. Right-click the folder > Properties > Location tab 2. Click the 'Move' button, then choose the new location, and follow through the rest of the prompts. Pretty sure I know where I went wrong, but I need to start over so I can move the Downloads folder properly. As it stands, there is no Location tab on what's now named OneDrive (formerly Downloads), so I can't go there.

:)

cbiweb, Jul 11, 2021
  2. TarAn_D Win User

Move the OneDrive Folder

Move the OneDrive Folder in Windows 10

When you set up OneDrive to sync with your computer, a folder C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive will be created to store the contents. XXXX denotes your username. To move this folder to another location follow these simple steps:

1. Unlink OneDrive from your PC:

• Go to the taskbar notification area
    • Right-click on the OneDrive icon
    • Select settings
    • Click: Unlink this PC
    2. Delete the C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive folder

3. Create a new folder (target folder) for OneDrive contents, e.g. D:\OneDrive

4. Create Directory Junction for the new folder

• In the search area of the taskbar type CMD and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter
    • In the command window type
    mklink /J C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive D:\OneDrive

adjusting it to your specific username and selection of the target folder

5. Link again OneDrive to your PC using the OneDrive icon in the taskbar notification area

TarAn_D, Jul 11, 2021
  3. Onedrive move folder to document

Hi Rendell,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• What happens when you try to move the folder?
    • From when are you facing this issue?

I suggest you to refer the article below and check if that helps.

Move the OneDrive Folder

OneDrive help & learning - Microsoft Support

You can refer to the following work around. This will help you to choose the folders to sync on Onedrive.

• Right click on OneDrive icon of
      System Tray

• Click on Settings, then click on
      choose folders
      tab.

• Click on choose folders option, then click on sync only these folders.

Hope the information helps. Please reply back with a status so that we can assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Jul 11, 2021
  4. silkstone Win User

Disappearing folder

I've encountered a strange problem in windows 10 where I tried to delete a file in a folder, but ended up deleting the whole directory. It did so without the usual pop-up to confirm delete or say it was too big for the recycle bin. It was my Videos folder, so pretty big, but the disk allocation has also remained the same.

I've always had a problem with 'double icons' for the different user folders, including videos, and so I'm thinking it could have something to do with the whole thing, especially as now one of the two video folders has disappeared from the users folders.

The first thing i tried was 'Undo delete', but it just bought the folder back with non of the contents. Then, I went straight to Recuva, but it came up blank (there must have been over 50 videos in the folder)

I'm at a little bit of a loss as where to start looking for this disappeared folder and was hoping someone might have some suggestions?

Screenshots below:

Windows disappeared my Downloads folder when moving it to OneDrive upload_2017-4-1_22-11-14-png.png

silkstone, Jul 11, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows disappeared my Downloads folder when moving it to OneDrive - Similar Threads - disappeared Downloads folder

2. My OneDrive and its folders disappeared.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My OneDrive and its folders disappeared.: Much to my surprise, I got a message saying my OneDrive was full. I did not even know that any of my files were loaded into OneDrive which I do not want anyway. So now when I search for a file, I sometimes get an error message saying it was in OneDrive which I cannot access....
  3. My OneDrive and its folders disappeared.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My OneDrive and its folders disappeared.: Much to my surprise, I got a message saying my OneDrive was full. I did not even know that any of my files were loaded into OneDrive which I do not want anyway. So now when I search for a file, I sometimes get an error message saying it was in OneDrive which I cannot access....
  4. My OneDrive and its folders disappeared.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. move downloads folder to onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    move downloads folder to onedrive: I wanted to sync my general "This PC\Downloads" folder to One Drive. I was able to successfully do so; however, it didn't create a "Downloads" folder in OneDrive and instead just synced all folders in both OneDrive and Downloads except Personal Vault.Now, in Windows Explorer,...
  6. move downloads folder to onedrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    move downloads folder to onedrive: I wanted to sync my general "This PC\Downloads" folder to One Drive. I was able to successfully do so; however, it didn't create a "Downloads" folder in OneDrive and instead just synced all folders in both OneDrive and Downloads except Personal Vault.Now, in Windows Explorer,...
  7. mistake when moving downloads folder

mistake when moving downloads folder: recently I tried to move my downloads and pictures folder to drive D, but somehow I managed to move them to the same location.now whenever I try to move one of them including reset to old location, the other is moved as well.how can I separate them again?...
  8. Moving OneDrive folders

Moving OneDrive folders: How do i move my documents and photos from OneDrive to my computer or google drive? The save icon is grayed out and cannot be used https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-onedrive-folders/72ea425b-90ee-4ba8-93e3-a3501de7c1cb"
  9. OneDrive folder moved to another OneDrive folder disappeared

OneDrive folder moved to another OneDrive folder disappeared: In File Manager I selected two folders in the OneDrive Documents folder and moved them into another folder in Documents. The folders disappeared, but were not in the other Documents folder. I searched on my PC for them and they weren't found. I looked in OneDrive online and...
  10. OneDrive Data Disappeared when Moved Local

OneDrive Data Disappeared when Moved Local: I kept receiving an alert that I had exceeded my 5GB OneDrive limit. I couldn't copy anything to my desktop without receiving a notice that I didn't have enough storage space. Sick and tired of it it I decided to move everything local. I never wanted my files to default to...