Windows 10: Windows Disk Cleanup Tool

Discus and support Windows Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; A computer tech told me the Windows Disk Cleanup tool should not be run every day because it causes the read/write heads to work too much and may wear... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by LUVSITE, May 28, 2019.

1. LUVSITE Win User

Windows Disk Cleanup Tool

A computer tech told me the Windows Disk Cleanup tool should not be run every day because it causes the read/write heads to work too much and may wear them out. I like to run it every day and wonder what others think? Thanks for any reply, particularly looking for someone who knows modern desktop computers

:)

LUVSITE, May 28, 2019

2. DISK CLEANUP

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Which files are you trying to delete using disk clean up?
    2. Which version of Windows are you currently using?

Please reply back with the information to the above questions in order to provide you with appropriate troubleshooting steps:

I understand that you are trying to free up memory using Disk Cleanup. If you are trying to delete files using disk cleanup on Windows 10, I suggest you to refer the following article on

Disk cleanup in Windows 10
    for steps to perform disk clean up on your PC.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, May 28, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    disk cleanup

Hi joysoder, to properly and safely delete any files not required by your system, run Disk Cleanup twice as explained below. Each time select everything in the list and delete them. Disk Cleanup will not suggest deleting anything that is not safe to delete
    . . .

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

DaveM121, May 28, 2019
  4. AndreePin Win User

Disk Cleanup Windows doesn't appear when I click on it.

Hi,

Disk Cleanup tool is a useful utility in deleting junk files. There are probable reasons why your Disk Cleanup tool is not working properly. We suggest that you follow the steps provided below:

Method 1 - Delete Temp Files:

Removing the temporary files can help in making the Disk Cleanup tool working.

• Press Win+R and write %temp% in the open window and click
      Enter.
    • The temp folders will become visible. Select the available temp files, perform a right click and select
      Delete.
    Return back to the tool and try to start it to see if it is working.

Method 2 - Run Windows Update Troubleshooter:

Many times Windows update becomes responsible for Disk Cleanup issue. In this case, running troubleshooter is the best idea.

• Right click theStart
      menu and select Control Panel.

• Change the
      View by: Categoryinto
      Large icons.

• Select and click
      Troubleshooting.

• Now select and click
      System and Security.

• Click Windows Update.

• Click on the tiny link
      Advanced on the troubleshooter.

• Click on Run as administrator link positioned in the right bottom section. Once The troubleshooter looks like just above image click Next.
    It will detect the troubles if exists, so follow the on-screen guidelines to complete the troubleshooting. Try to run the Disk Cleanup once again.

Feel free to get back to us should you need further assistance.

AndreePin, May 28, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Disk Cleanup Tool - Similar Threads - Disk Cleanup Tool

2. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Cleanup: why won't Disk Cleanup delete the 3.2gb of temp files. when I try using the remove files in settings, they are shown as deleted but if I renter settings they reapear. why is that?...
  3. disk cleanup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    disk cleanup: disk cleanup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup/4e0cc450-a69e-4f33-b684-2e2901f62732
  4. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Cleanup: [ATTACH] is it common for disk cleanup to affect the computers performance last time i used it made me make a whole clean installation of windows 10 since it became very laggy i wonder if this new option will do me any better since i have 7gb of files that needs to be...
  5. Windows Disk Cleanup tool

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Disk Cleanup tool: So I recently used the utility disk cleanup tool to free up some space on my laptop. From research online I assumed it was safe to delete the Windows Update Cleanup Files that were taking up about 3 gb of space. First of all when I cleared it, it only freed up about 1 gb of...
  6. DISK CLEANUP

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    DISK CLEANUP: Everytime I try to do Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 it always stalls when it hits "Windows Defender AntiVirus" I can never get it to complete what gives? HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup/a55ceefb-b2ff-4ef5-9107-07ff4e2a91bc"
  7. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup: Hello Forum, Recently made system upgrade to version 1803. (Auto update still disabled). Opened the MS update catalog and downloaded almost all update files for this version (x64), read a little about each one and worked for 3 days to install them. When finished I saw that...
  8. Microsoft confirms Disk Cleanup tool deprecation in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms Disk Cleanup tool deprecation in Windows 10: Microsoft announced plans to deprecate the classic Disk Cleanup tool in Windows 10 on the official Windows and Windows Server storage blog. When Microsoft released Windows 10 it made its intentions clear that it wanted to move away from classic tools such as the Control...
  9. Windows 10 Pro & Windows Administration Tools,Disk cleanup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Pro & Windows Administration Tools,Disk cleanup: Running on windows 10 Pro. & two 222 GB Western Digital SSD Drive (C:) saw full and giving me problems with my Punch! ViaCAD 2D/3D version 10 software. so I right clicked on Startup & clicked on Windows Administration Tools > disk cleanup & Selected the drive I want to...
  10. Disk cleanup tools that cleanup more than 10Gb

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk cleanup tools that cleanup more than 10Gb: Hi, I am running low on space on my computer and I want to get rid of some stuff. However, the disk cleanup tools that I've tried will only get rid of 100Mb. Any suggestions? 77753