Windows 10: Windows Disk Error checking tool & chkdsk

Discus and support Windows Disk Error checking tool & chkdsk in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have a 2TB drive with what looks to be some bad clusters. I've run a couple of FULL formats without issue using both exFAT & NTFS formats,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by EnglishmanInJapan, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Windows Disk Error checking tool & chkdsk

Hello,

I have a 2TB drive with what looks to be some bad clusters. I've run a couple of FULL formats without issue using both exFAT & NTFS formats, and the windows GUI disk check passes them, however in both cases, chkdsk /R freezes permanently at the 2% mark.

Is there any way to flag the bad clusters as being bad, and to basically make use of the remainder good part of the drive ?

Thanks in advance.

BTW the windows 10 GUI based disk "Error checking" function only seems to check file/folder integrity, and not the disk itself - which is why I guess it runs so quickly upon a newly formatted "empty" disk.

:)

EnglishmanInJapan, Oct 31, 2018

2. Disk Read Error

/p flags good, I'm still thinking it's something in your boot sector and not hardware related.

Try this:

Insert your XP disk and boot from the disk
    Select recovery console
    follow the promts until you are in DOS
    C:\windows
    at the above prompts type FIXMBR

Why?
    This will fix the Mater Boot Record for Windows it will ask you if you are sure and follow the prompts

once complete type CHKDSK /r
    that is CHKDSK space /r
    this will check the disk and repair any bad sectors

once complete type exit

thoughtdisorder, Oct 31, 2018
  3. Disk Read Error

Can't. There's only one other computer in the house, and I'm not allowed within 5 meters of it with a screwdriver.

As I said above, I can't get into Windows.

Ben Clarke, Oct 31, 2018
  4. Jelo Sen Win User

Windows Disk Error checking tool & chkdsk

chkdsk c: /F

We appreciate the response. I'm referring to Check Disk (chkdsk) utility tool. If you haven't tried yet, we suggest that you run a chkdsk by:

• Press Windows Key + X button to bring up the power user menu.
    • In the power user menu, select the Command Prompt (Admin) option.Click Yes when you are presented with a UAC window requesting permission to launch the Command Prompt as Administrator.
    • In the new Command Prompt window, type chkdsk E: /f /r /x. Here you should replace E with your drive letter.
    This option will run chkdsk to check and repair disk errors in Windows 10. The “/f” parameter tells CHKDSK to fix any errors it finds; “/r” tells it to locate the bad sectors on the drive and recover readable information; “/x” forces the drive to dismount
    before the process starts.

Keep us updated with the result.

Jelo Sen, Oct 31, 2018
Thema:

Windows Disk Error checking tool & chkdsk

1. Windows Disk Error checking tool & chkdsk - Similar Threads - Disk Error checking

2. chkdsk error while checking C: drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    chkdsk error while checking C: drive: Hello! 1 year ago I bought a laptop with a SSD. I tried running chkdsk Administrator, read-only on my drive today, as the performance on my laptop was very poor and programs were crashing. It always got stuck on this stage check image. Should I send it in service, or is it...
  3. chkdsk error while checking C: drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    chkdsk error while checking C: drive: Hello! 1 year ago I bought a laptop with a SSD. I tried running chkdsk Administrator, read-only on my drive today, as the performance on my laptop was very poor and programs were crashing. It always got stuck on this stage check image. Should I send it in service, or is it...
  4. Disk Check Error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk Check Error: On every startup, I've been getting a disk check prompt and a "Scanning and repairing drive C:..." message. Sometimes these messages would pop up twice within one startup too. However, whenever it gets to the latter message, a percentage is never shown and it boots up to the...
  5. chkdsk freezes, will not deal with disk errors

chkdsk freezes, will not deal with disk errors: Windows 7 Home Premium SP-1Laptop250 GB HD with over 200 GB free spaceYes, I know Win7 is past end-of-life. I want to use this old borrowed laptop to display disassembly videos to show me how to open up my own laptop so I can replace some parts. I just need to get this old...
  6. chkdsk freezes, will not deal with disk errors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    chkdsk freezes, will not deal with disk errors: Windows 7 Home Premium SP-1Laptop250 GB HD with over 200 GB free spaceYes, I know Win7 is past end-of-life. I want to use this old borrowed laptop to display disassembly videos to show me how to open up my own laptop so I can replace some parts. I just need to get this old...
  7. CHKDSK checks all disks!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CHKDSK checks all disks!: Hi Folks, Just a quick question. Windows 10 latest version from the iso. I am running W7 on an SSD but have just performed a new install of W10 onto another HDD. I have 2 additional HDD's which are just used for backup with clones of the W7 disk. All went well for a few...
  8. Can't get into windows 10 because of disk check (chkdsk) at startup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't get into windows 10 because of disk check (chkdsk) at startup: A couple of days ago, I was having an issue with my laptop (Sager) being slow. So, I tried a few possible solutions. I ran a virus scan with defender and a malware scan, but neither of those turned up anything. I also set up a disk check through cmd on startup (couldn't do it...
  9. check disk for errors

in Windows 10 Customization
    check disk for errors: I recently made changes to my computer how do I check and repair disk https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/check-disk-for-errors/9617a391-7a5a-4ae5-b6af-57ce75e0e0d7
  10. Best Disk Repair tool? (not chkdsk)

Best Disk Repair tool? (not chkdsk): I've not needed a disk repair tool in a long time. However, I now have a 3TB drive that's failing on me. It works for a while and then stops being recognized. I've tried disk imaging it with Macrium, but it fails partway through with disk read errors. I used to use...