Windows 10: Windows Disk Management shows 700+ GB allocated to C drive partition but capacity displays...

Discus and support Windows Disk Management shows 700+ GB allocated to C drive partition but capacity displays... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I cannot seem to find the missing capacity on the SSD. Any tips on debugging this?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AaronChoi, Jan 14, 2020.

1. AaronChoi Win User

Windows Disk Management shows 700+ GB allocated to C drive partition but capacity displays...

I cannot seem to find the missing capacity on the SSD. Any tips on debugging this?

:)

AaronChoi, Jan 14, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jan 14, 2020
  3. Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Jan 14, 2020
  4. Naresh_K Win User

Windows Disk Management shows 700+ GB allocated to C drive partition but capacity displays...

Hard disk partition not showing up.

Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

This can happen if the Hard-disk drivers are not up-to date. I would suggest you to update the hard disk drivers first. To update the drivers, please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Open Device manager.
    2. Then Expand “Disk drives”.
    3. Then Right click on the Hard-disk listed under this category.
    4. Then click on Update drivers.
    5. Alternatively you can also try to update the drivers from manufacturer’s website.

Once the hard-disk drivers are updated, you will need to allocate the last partition (it is not allocated according to the screenshot) and you will be able to view the partition.

Also note that sometimes the hard disk partitions/drives might be hidden in This PC or My Computer window due to a Registry key. If a DWORD with the name NoViewOnDrive or NoDrives is present under following key in Registry Editor:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\Explorer

Delete the DWORD and your drives will become visible in My Computer window.

Hope this helps.

Naresh_K, Jan 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows Disk Management shows 700+ GB allocated to C drive partition but capacity displays... - Similar Threads - Disk Management shows

2. i have a lot of unallocated disk space500 gb and i want to allocate it into the c: drive....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i have a lot of unallocated disk space500 gb and i want to allocate it into the c: drive....: i have a lot of disk space unallocated. recently i got my laptop repaired and the repair person made my disk space to 389 gb and a lot of unallocated space is there. i wanted to allocate it but it only shows the option of shrink volume and the extend volume is in gray. what...
  3. i have a lot of unallocated disk space500 gb and i want to allocate it into the c: drive....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i have a lot of unallocated disk space500 gb and i want to allocate it into the c: drive....: i have a lot of disk space unallocated. recently i got my laptop repaired and the repair person made my disk space to 389 gb and a lot of unallocated space is there. i wanted to allocate it but it only shows the option of shrink volume and the extend volume is in gray. what...
  4. C: drive capacity shows wrong size in File Explorer and Disk management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C: drive capacity shows wrong size in File Explorer and Disk management: ok, I know I have see other posts and I have tried all of those suggestions that supposably worked. But not in my case.I am running a W2K12R2 server. The C: drive initially had 2.5GB left so I added 21GB via VMWare Sphere. The, in Disk Management, I extended the volume. I did...
  5. C: drive capacity shows wrong size in File Explorer and Disk management

C: drive capacity shows wrong size in File Explorer and Disk management: ok, I know I have see other posts and I have tried all of those suggestions that supposably worked. But not in my case.I am running a W2K12R2 server. The C: drive initially had 2.5GB left so I added 21GB via VMWare Sphere. The, in Disk Management, I extended the volume. I did...
  6. Recovery Partition not showing as such in disk management

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery Partition not showing as such in disk management: In the screenshot below, you can see the highlighted partition on Disk 0 is not showing as a healthy recovery partition and is not shown listed above. This is a cloned Windows 10 installation taken from Disk 1 now labeled storage.However, in diskpart, disk 0, partition 4 of...
  7. my 512 gb ssd is showing less c drive capacity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my 512 gb ssd is showing less c drive capacity: The capacity of C drive is shown as 150 gb, but it actually is 459.33 gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-512-gb-ssd-is-showing-less-c-drive-capacity/383ae195-abbc-42cf-8a92-af11967eec61
  8. my 512 gb ssd is showing less c drive capacity

my 512 gb ssd is showing less c drive capacity: The capacity of C drive is shown as 150 gb, but it actually is 459.33 gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-512-gb-ssd-is-showing-less-c-drive-capacity/383ae195-abbc-42cf-8a92-af11967eec61
  9. Disk partition not showing up in disk management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk partition not showing up in disk management: I installed a windows 10 update yesterday and now I have lost my D and E drive and all of the data that was on there. When I go into disk management the only drive that shows up is the C drive and 3 others that are called disk 0 partition 1, 4 and 5. When I go into file...
  10. Windows 10 Home Disk Management problem allocating an unallocated partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Home Disk Management problem allocating an unallocated partition: I have an Unallocated partition between two allocated partitions (one is Recovery Partition, other is a Primary partition). When I try to allocate a new Simple Volume in that unallocated partition, I get an error: The selected GPT formatted disk contains a partition which...