Windows 10: Windows Disk rate 100%

Discus and support Windows Disk rate 100% in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi I am suffering this issue from 4 years now and tried every options as possible and I could not rectify my pc is getting lagged continuously. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by PasanK, Sep 21, 2018.

1. PasanK Win User

Windows Disk rate 100%

Hi

I am suffering this issue from 4 years now and tried every options as possible and I could not rectify my pc is getting lagged continuously. I am a student and use only web browser and MS office to work in my laptop most of the times. As soon as I open couple of tabs to refer internet from a web browser my task manager shows unbelievable amounts of disk and memory allocations. I was using Google Chrome and switched to Opera then I am finally using Microsoft Edge assuming that previous web browsers must have consuming bigger amounts of memory. But still the issue stands and MS Edge does not giving a better experience compared to previous browsers. To be honest I cannot run my ordinary software like photoshop VMware to carry up my studies neither I cant run any simple software because if I try to work on them then the PC starts to lag and get freeze for hours.

I have to wait for 10-15 minutes to boot up my PC and have to wait for 3-4 mins to open a folder or a doc file the funny part is it is i7 PC. There are no malicious programs or threats found neither 3rd part apps are installed not by any chance. I have updated my PC for the latest Windows update.

Windows Disk rate 100% f550c279-aba5-434e-a96f-7a24369460cf?upload=true.png

Specifications

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134 my system Manufacturer is Hewlett-Packard
    System Model HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC
    System Type x64-based PC Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.36, 2/2/2015

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 3.93 GB
    Available Physical Memory 950 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 7.93 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 2.92 GB
    Page File Space 4.00 GB

Pls be kind enough to give me a solution since I have been suffering this issue to the core and frustrated about my pc. I have been searching all over the internet seeking for a solution I will be much grateful if anybody can rectify the issue

:)

PasanK, Sep 21, 2018

2. Disk Active time 100% Disk transfer rate 0

This is a problem I've seen reported countless times, on Microsoft support sites and elsewhere. Task Manager shows "Disk Active time 100% Disk transfer rate 0", and everything that's running on the computer freezes, although sometimes you can switch windows,
    or even perform some operations within a window, but other times
    everything freezes, including the mouse pointer. It usually lasts for 30 or 60 seconds, but sometimes it goes on for several minutes. Then it stops and everything goes back to normal, including Disk active time and Disk transfer rate.

It happens regardless of the apps I'm running or the activities I'm doing. I've even seen it happen with no user apps running at all - no browser, no file manager, nothing but background stuff. It happens every single day, regardless of whether there has
    been a Windows update installed.

Microsoft gave me a fix for this problem a week ago, but it didn't work. Here are the steps I followed:

at admin command line prompt:

• Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    • reboot
    • find driver file for Intel(R) 9 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
      • C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\iaStorA.sys
    • Details tab from Properties window for controller
      • Device instance path:
        • PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C83&SUBSYS_06B01028&REV_03\3&11583659&0&FA
    • find registry key for disk controller
      • Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C83&SUBSYS_06B01028&REV_03\3&11583659&0&FA\Device Parameters\Interrupt Management\MessageSignaledInterruptProperties
      • change MSISupported from 1 to 0
    • reboot
    The instructions I was given include this for Step 4: If you see “StorAHCI.sys” in the list, you are running the inbox driver. But my driver is iaStorA.sys, so maybe this
    fix doesn't even apply to me.

After doing all of the above, twice, I still have the problem. I've seen this now over a period of about three years, on two completely different laptops, one a Toshiba running Windows 8.1 and currently on a Dell running Windows 10. I also have a Thinkpad
    for work that runs W7, and I've never seen it happen on that machine. It got so bad on the Toshiba that I ended up discarding it, after spending countless hours trying to fix it.

I've also tried all the fixes I've found on the web, e.g. disable superfetch, disable BITS, add write permissions to Skype and the browser. Nothing I've found so far has helped. I also reverted Windows back to build 1703. That didn't help either.

NicholasCouch, Sep 21, 2018
  3. TimGrandt Win User
    Clean install, disk usage at 100%

I've seen that article. and I am in fact not running that driver. I followed the steps and it does not appear in the list.

TimGrandt, Sep 21, 2018
  4. ALuidens Win User

Windows Disk rate 100%

Windows 10 Freezes; SSD's transfer rate goes to 100%

Hi,

I am experiencing the same exact problem.

• Dell Latitude E5520
    • Windows 10 Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.953)
    • Seagate Momentus XT 500GB (Booting Drive, Disk 0, based on combination 4GB SSD and the rest is HDD).
      • The last few months it was freezing briefly (within a minute or so) and then unfreezes. All activities that do not need to access the drive can be done normally while frozen up to some point.
    • Crucial MX300 SSD 525GB Booting Drive (Disk 0), recently bought to replace the above 'aging' Seagate.
      • Freeze after a few operations and remains frozen until Power Recycled.
      • Disk Active Time spikes to 100% while Disk Transfer Rate is 0 or minimal.
      • All activities that do not need to access the drive can be done normally while frozen up to some point.
    • I have not tried replacing the Microsoft generic SATA driver yet.
    Hope the above helps pin-pointing the issues. I would greatly appreciate assistance in how to replace the SATA driver, if there is no cure from Microsoft yet.

Thank you in advance!

UPDATE:

Applied KB4015438. Same issue:

• All activities that do not need to access the drive can be done normally while frozen up to some point.

UPDATE (03/27/2017):

Applied KB4016635. Issue persists:

Replaced Microsoft Generic SATA Driver to OEM (Intel) Driver. System has been stable since 03/26/2017 15:10.

ALuidens, Sep 21, 2018
Thema:

Windows Disk rate 100%

1. Windows Disk rate 100% - Similar Threads - Disk rate 100%

2. Disk Usage 100%, Transfer Rate 0, slowdown and crashes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Usage 100%, Transfer Rate 0, slowdown and crashes: I've had this issue intermittently the past few months ever since I bought this computer in November last year, but more and more often the past few weeks where my computer will slow down in all aspects, programs will crash, and the computer itself will occasionally blue...
  3. Disk Usage 100%, Transfer Rate 0, slowdown and crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Usage 100%, Transfer Rate 0, slowdown and crashes: I've had this issue intermittently the past few months ever since I bought this computer in November last year, but more and more often the past few weeks where my computer will slow down in all aspects, programs will crash, and the computer itself will occasionally blue...
  4. Im getting 100% disk usage with almost no transfer rate. Please help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Im getting 100% disk usage with almost no transfer rate. Please help: [ATTACH] so this happens sometimes when I play games and sometimes just opening them. It just shows up on the task manager that the HDD has 100% usage but it is not reading nor writing anything. I don't know the reason on why this is happening. This problem does not show...
  5. 100 disk

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100 disk: Whenever I use my pc most of the time "service host sysmain" is using 100 percent of my disk on task manager I believe this may be the cause of most of my issues with my pc being slow. I have 16gb of ram, an I7 2600k and a GTX 1660, so the performance issues I am facing when...
  6. Disk 100%

Disk 100%: I have 2 pc's and 1 laptop running windows 10, all of them show disk usage 100% and all of them are super slow. I've read for hours on the subject and tried a bunch of stuff such as disabling pre-fetch. 1. It is not fair that I have to read for hours to try to solve this....
  7. Disk 100%

Disk 100%: disk is at 100% windows 10. How can I fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-100/8c826a25-25fd-487a-9843-1210d2514d4f
  8. Disk 100%

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk 100%: Disk started showing 100 percent in task manager today when laptop was laggy and driving me nuts. Have tried literally every fix I can find and nothing worked. 122376
  9. 100% Disk

100% Disk: My computer starts out fine, but ram usage starts climbing as I use it and after some time it hits 90% or so and then the disk usage sky rockets to 100%. I've had this problem before but none of the solutions I've tried in the past work anymore. I've disabled windows search,...
  10. Disk usage spikes to 100% and Low frame rate

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk usage spikes to 100% and Low frame rate: I have a new Windows 10 64-bit. I had MAJOR frame rate issues while playing The Witcher 3 video game (despite my machine surpassing the recommended specs) and peeked into the Resource Monitor and discovered enormous spikes in Disk Usage (at times 100%). My internet searches...