Windows 10: Windows Display Language is ignored when set in language Settings

Discus and support Windows Display Language is ignored when set in language Settings in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all I have set my display language to English (South Africa) in "settings - language" [img] however, when I click "administrative language... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by yatiya, May 6, 2020.

1. yatiya Win User

Windows Display Language is ignored when set in language Settings

Hello all

I have set my display language to English (South Africa) in "settings - language"

Windows Display Language is ignored when set in language Settings [​IMG]

however, when I click "administrative language settings", then copy, it shows English UK as the display language.
    English UK is not even listed as an option in the Display language drop down.
    English UK is also the language of the lock screen according to the Administrative settings.

Windows Display Language is ignored when set in language Settings [​IMG]

How can I fix this? I tried installing a different language (English US), uninstalling English (South Africa), then reversing the process, but it still goes back to English UK!!

A secondary effect of this is that Windows then shows the language toolbar on the taskbar, giving me the option to choose English UK as the language/keyboard combination!

:)

yatiya, May 6, 2020
  2. 95Viper Win User

Windows 8.1 update changed the language, can't change back

Maybe, these will help... it seems it is a common enough problem.

Language packs are no longer available after you upgrade to Windows 8.1

And, sort of the same here --> Add a language or keyboard

Quote from above MS web page:

Spoiler Download and install language packs
    You'll need to download the language pack if you want to make a language your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps).
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click a language that says Language pack available underneath, and then tap or click Options.
    • Tap or click Download. The download process might take a while, depending on your PC and the size of the language pack.
      If you want to make this your display language, see the next section "Change your Windows display language".
    Change your Windows display language
    To change your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps), first add a language, download and install the language pack, and then follow these steps.
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click the language that you want to set as your display language.
    • Tap or click Set as primary to move the language to the top of the list. If the language can become your Windows display language, you'll see Will be display language after next sign-in appear under the language.
    • Sign out and then sign back in to finish.
    And here is some more info --> Add Language Packs to Windows

95Viper, May 6, 2020
  3. RFC3514 Win User
    Tooltips displayed in the wrong language

Although my version of Windows is set to English and the GPU-Z "Tooltip Language" appears as "System Default (English (United Kingdom))", the tooltips are appearing in the language corresponding to my system locale (or possibly keyboard layout), not the actual system language. I frequently change the keyboard layout and date format (to match the clients I'm working for and the language I'm writing in), but the system language never changes (and software is supposed to run in that language).

I can manually select "English (United States)", but this basically makes it impossible for me to select the "correct" language (i.e., UK English), because it doesn't appear in the list (other than as "system default" - but is then ignored). Obviously it makes no difference to me if it's in UK or US English, but people with other language combinations might have a problem.

It seems the routine that populates the language list in the options is (correctly) determining the system language, but the routine that actually generates the tooltips is (incorrectly) reading the system locale instead of language.

RFC3514, May 6, 2020
  4. Junaid_A Win User

Mismatch of Display Language Settings - Windows 10

Hi Medali,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

Ideally, when a language pack is set as default, all the features within the operating system should display in the same language. Seems like some settings are missing, let’s reset the default display language and see if it works for you.

I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if the issue resolves:

• Right click the Windows icon on the taskbar and choose
      Windows PowerShell (admin).

• Run the following command and hit enter:

$1 = New-WinUserLanguageList en-US
    • Once the command is executed, copy paste the following command and hit enter:

Set-WinUserLanguageList $1
    • Press ‘Y’ and hit Enter if it prompts for confirmation.
    • Exit PowerShell and reboot the machine to see if the issue persists.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Junaid_A, May 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows Display Language is ignored when set in language Settings - Similar Threads - Display Language ignored

2. language setting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    language setting: all of the windows settings are in german even though the language selected is English... how do i change the settings menu to English? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/language-setting/807e3f55-c58b-476b-baca-979d7f9996da
  3. Cortana ignores language and speech Windows settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana ignores language and speech Windows settings: Here are my language settings for Windows 11 Professional 21H2:Windows display: English United StatesApps & Websites: English United StatesRegional format: Italian Italy Keyboard: Italian ItalySpeech: Italian ItalyEverything works fine according to those settings, but...
  4. Cortana ignores language and speech Windows settings

in Cortana
    Cortana ignores language and speech Windows settings: Here are my language settings for Windows 11 Professional 21H2:Windows display: English United StatesApps & Websites: English United StatesRegional format: Italian Italy Keyboard: Italian ItalySpeech: Italian ItalyEverything works fine according to those settings, but...
  5. Cortana ignores language and speech Windows settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Language setting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Language setting: Hi, I have set my primal language as Englisn UK and second language for Japanese. However, whenever I have any pop up windows, everything seems to be in Japanese. I have tried all the language settings suggested for other people with similar problems but it still displays...
  7. windows display language settings

windows display language settings: Hi, I am unable to Change My Display Language in windows 10 Home Single language OS version 1903 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-display-language-settings/d7ab7daf-8fb7-49bc-a584-833623771940
  8. language setting.

language setting.: Hi, I have a question. My preferred language setting is English United Kingdom, but when I check spelling and grammar the setting change to English United States. How do I stop this from happening?...
  9. Language settings

Language settings: Hi, I purchased a laptop in german and the laanguage was changed to english.Recently,i updated my windows to Windows 10 and the language changed back to german. I tried all possible ways to change the language to english but in vain. I also do not find options like 'set as...
  10. Language settings - japanese is displayed

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Language settings - japanese is displayed: Why in the menu "Microsoft Store", all is displayed in japanese, as well as the Apps. I can't change it in "Settings". Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/language-settings-japanese-is-displayed/7d742cb5-0001-4fc7-bc4a-8b974dfa483f"