Windows 10: Windows does not recognize the FAT format of my SD card

Discus and support Windows does not recognize the FAT format of my SD card in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is an 8GB SDHC card I have been using on an Android phone. I would like to replace it with a larger card and transfer the data via Windows. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BerndBausch, May 5, 2019.

1. Windows does not recognize the FAT format of my SD card

This is an 8GB SDHC card I have been using on an Android phone. I would like to replace it with a larger card and transfer the data via Windows. The laptop that I use runs up-to-date Windows 10.

When I insert the card into my laptop's card reader, Windows proposes to format it. It doesn't seem to recognize the files that it contains.

Aomei Partition Assistant does see that there is a FAT filesystem, and that it is half full.

How can I help Windows to see what's on this card?

Screenshot:

Windows does not recognize the FAT format of my SD card 351aa9d5-bddf-4be6-b303-2da98489660f?upload=true.png

:)

BerndBausch, May 5, 2019

2. Sd card not using full potential

My 2gb sd card shows up as 981mb i've formatted it like 100 times and it never shows up in windows as 2gb.

I've used the right click hit format and formated it quick and normal and used fat and fat32.

Anybody got any suggestions?

freaksavior, May 5, 2019
  3. My 256gb sd card isn't being recognized as 256gb when formatting

Hi James,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

To assist you better, I would like to ask how you are trying to format the SD card.

I suggest you to format and check for if the issue persists in Disk Management by following the steps below:

• Right click on Start icon and select Disk Management.
    • Right click on the drive for SD card and select Format.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, May 5, 2019
  4. Windows does not recognize the FAT format of my SD card

NTFS format for SD cards for digital cameras

Dear Microsoft

Why would you make the only way that Windows 10 read a USB or SD card would be in NTFS format?

Every company in the world makes their cards for the digital cameras in Fat or Fat 32. Now when I take pictures with my digital camera Windows 10 will not read the card.

I have to:

• Put the SD card into my Windows 7 machine
    • Copy all of the files to the the W7 machine
    • Format the SD card to NTFS
    • Copy all of the files to the SD card
    • Put the SD card into my Windows 10 machine.
    • Copy files to my W10 machine
    • Put the SD card back into my camera
    • Reformat it on the camera so that I can use it again.
    • Repeat steps 1-8 everytime I want to use the SD card in my digital camera.
    This is beyond frustrating.

I just spent 20 hours with Microsoft online support to get learn this.

The above process is only for SD cards. Now I will have to take all of my USB sticks - copy all of the info to my Windows 7 machine, reformat the USB drive to NTFS then recopy it back to the USB so that I can use it on my W10 Machine.

What a complete waste of time and a total oversight on Microsoft's part.

Fix this issue immediately please!!!

StephenMoses403, May 5, 2019
Thema:

Windows does not recognize the FAT format of my SD card

1. Windows does not recognize the FAT format of my SD card - Similar Threads - does recognize FAT

2. Formatting SD Card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Formatting SD Card: Hello, I have an SD Card of 64 GB storage space which my friend and I used as an external storage device. It has somehow become write protected. I cannot delete it's files. I've checked it's physical lock. How can I convert it to a normal SD Card or Format it completely...
  3. Formating a SD card

Formating a SD card: Hello, I am not a computer wizard.....can do some things but I cannot find out how to format a SD card - I have the adapter, with the SD card in, put into computer and laptop and nothing happens. Do I have to set up something - not sure what they are - the computer has only...
  4. Convert Micro SD Card To Fat 32

Convert Micro SD Card To Fat 32: Hi I am looking for a free tool, to convert a 256Gb micro SD card from xfat to fat 32 Thanks. 158744
  5. Convert Micro SD Card To Fat 32

in Windows 10 Support
    Convert Micro SD Card To Fat 32: Hi I am looking for a free tool, to convert a 256Gb micro SD card from xfat to fat 32 Thanks. 158744
  6. Formating Micro SD card to FAT 32 from exFAT

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formating Micro SD card to FAT 32 from exFAT: In Win 10 Used Run >"format /FS:FAT32 E:" to try and change the file system on a 64 GB mico SD card version 10 from exFAT to FAT32. It ran for about 15 minutes form 0 to 100% but format did not change?...
  7. Format SD Card

Format SD Card: I cannot format an SD Card https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-sd-card/8177d725-b12d-4d1c-a799-efcb3df3c53f
  8. SD Card is recognized, But does not work with Windows.

SD Card is recognized, But does not work with Windows.: So my computer is running Windows 10 version 1903. and I wanted to use my SD Card for windows apps. So i insert my SD Card into the slot on my laptop. Windows makes the Device Connected sound, But nothing shows up in File Explorer. So I go to Control Panel to see what's going...
  9. computer does not recognize my SD cards no more

computer does not recognize my SD cards no more: my computer does not recognize my SD cards no more it work ok before updates. anyone help ive tried trouble shoot but it did not detect anything....
  10. recognize sd card?

in Windows 10 Customization
    recognize sd card?: Why won't my new HP computer with windows 10 recognize my sd card? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recognize-sd-card/ef515805-90db-433c-bfe0-66bc3facf4b7