Windows 10: Windows does not recognize when a physical hard drive has been swapped

Discus and support Windows does not recognize when a physical hard drive has been swapped in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an external USB -> SATA3 dock that is connected to a USB 3 connection on my Windows 10 Pro 64 1803 machine. It reads and writes everything just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bryan Mohr, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Windows does not recognize when a physical hard drive has been swapped

I have an external USB -> SATA3 dock that is connected to a USB 3 connection on my Windows 10 Pro 64 1803 machine. It reads and writes everything just fine to the drive. But when I shut down the machine and swap the drive for a different drive (I use this for backing up several other drives), Windows thinks that the previous drive is still inserted, even to the point of showing the directory structure from the previous drive and of course it also reports it as being corrupted. The only cure I've found so far is to go into Disk Management, delete the partition, reformat it, reboot the machine again, and recopy ALL of the data (instead of just doing a quick sync)! This is really annoying.

How can I force Windows 10 to forget the old drive once it has been removed and read the newly inserted drive as a brand new drive? I'm pretty sure it has to do with the USB identifier not changing and Windows associating the identifier with a drive type. But that does not work for my case.

Is there anything I can do besides what I mentioned above?

:)

Bryan Mohr, Jan 10, 2019
  2. GKing Win User

Maxtor Hard Drive Beep

Maxtor drive beeps

Have a similiar situation using a DiamondMax Plus 8, 20GB Mfg Date 4/15/03. Drive used as a second system drive. Drive is recognized in boot menu but not in drive list. Drive is always connected. Computer started locking up for several seconds at a time. Chkdsk on drives and couldn't find that drive. Removed drive from bay to make sure connections were ok and heard the beeping. Shutdown and restart and never got to windows screen. Restarted several times then saw drive in boot menu and Windows loaded but Maxtor not in drive menu. When recognized in boot menu, computer will start but beeps and is not found.

Tried kicking it real hard but no improvement. Any suggestions?

GKing, Jan 10, 2019
  3. Hard drive not recognized Windows 10

Hi Curtis,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We understand your concern and we will provide the assistance you required to resolve the issue.

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below:

1. Is the portable hard drive connected to your PC via USB cable?

2. Did you get any error message that the drive was not recognize by your PC?

For now, I would suggest that you check if the USB cable that connects the hard drive and the PC is not damaged. If not, then I would suggest that you connect your hard drive to another PC and check if the device is recognized in that particular computer.

If the device gets recognized, then I would suggest that you connect the external hard drive, open File Explorer and check if the drive has an assigned letter. If not, open Disk Management while the drive is connected to the system and follow the steps below.

1. Right click on the Start Menu and select Disk Management

2. Right click on the external drive>Select New Simple Volume and
    assign letter to the drive.

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Jan 10, 2019
  4. Windows does not recognize when a physical hard drive has been swapped

Swapping Hard drives on two different laptops

When I said the changing of the hard drive is allowed I mean the physical swap...... Windows from one will not run nor would be licensed even if it did run. The OEM Windows license that came with the computer stays with that computer.

Rob - SpiritX

SpiritX MS MVP, Jan 10, 2019
Thema:

Windows does not recognize when a physical hard drive has been swapped

1. Windows does not recognize when a physical hard drive has been swapped - Similar Threads - does recognize physical

2. Hard Drive Swap

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hard Drive Swap: I have a computer running Win 10. I purchased the Win 10 and had it installed by a local shop, Tech Junkies of Hays Kansas. The computer is rather old, only has 8 gig of RAM, and the processor is very slow. I'd like to buy a new computer and use the hard drive from my old...
  3. physical hard drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    physical hard drives: Hi there , in my laptop I have C, D and E hard drives , how to know weather i have 3 separate physical hard drives or its just one drive with partitions divided among CDE ? just curious...
  4. hard drive swap

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard drive swap: I have a new computer, and have that computer all setup. Can I take the old hard drive from the old computer and put it into the new computer (I dont need help on the mechanics). It is currently formatted for 2 logical drive. The current c: drive, I would reformat and use...
  5. Swapping hard drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Swapping hard drives: How do I go about backing up windows to clone on a new hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swapping-hard-drives/fac9a444-4f53-480d-aebc-2c98f61997fa
  6. Windows does not recognize my external hard drive

Windows does not recognize my external hard drive: Windows 10 used to recognize my external hard drive when i plugged it in to the USB port. Suddenly, it doesn't. How do I get it to see the external drive?...
  7. Swapping hard drives.

Swapping hard drives.: I have recently purachsed a new laptop. A dell Inspiron 5570 and it came with a 1TB Hard Disk Drive. I also purchased a solid state drive with the plan to swap rhem out. I cant seem to figure out how to migrate the OS and files from the HDD to the SSD. I cannot boot...
  8. Swapping hard drives.

Swapping hard drives.: I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 5570 with Windows 10 and a 1 lTB HDD. I also purchased A solid state drive seperately to replace the HDD. as it is a new drive i cannot boot from it. i have been unsuccessful in using my recovery drive on it or figuring out how to...
  9. Computer does not recognize external hard drive

Computer does not recognize external hard drive: Hi all,I googled this but I really can't find an answer,hear goes.I have 2 seagate external hard drives with all my movies and tv shows.I plug it into my dvd player and watch them on my smart tv.I bought a new one which says seagate external expansion drive.It is not...
  10. Swapping Hard drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Swapping Hard drives: Good Morning etc, okay I have a PC at home which has an external sata plugin for hard drives, last night I went to check a hard drive and plugged in the wrong one. The one I plugged was for another PC and had Windows 10 mounted in German my PC has English and is Windows 10 I...