Windows 10: Windows does not seem to respect disabled visual effects on restricted accounts

Discus and support Windows does not seem to respect disabled visual effects on restricted accounts in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I've got an issue on a Windows 10 Pro system, x64, build 1903. It's not a very recent system and I'm accessing it remotely, using a software... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by cosmik, Mar 26, 2020.

1. cosmik Win User

Windows does not seem to respect disabled visual effects on restricted accounts

Hello,

I've got an issue on a Windows 10 Pro system, x64, build 1903. It's not a very recent system and I'm accessing it remotely, using a software called Remote Utilities.

On that system two local user accounts exist an admin one and a restricted one. I was logged to this system remotely to user A and was growing impatient since screen redraws for the gradual window appearance effects took eons. I recalled that there was a way to disable these effects, outlined also in https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-system-visual-effects-boost-performance-windows-10

Did that on the admin account and access became instantly snappier. No more visual FX, but at least I did not have to wait 5" for a window to become clickable, after getting into focus.

Then I switched to the restricted account. To my horror the visual FX were back with a vengeance. I thought that enabling/disabling them was a preference per user. So I open a run dialog with windows+R and ran sysdm.cpl. I was asked to provide my admin credentials! And visiting advanced -> performance, the settings were the way I left them while I was tuning the admin account for max performance!

So what is the issue here, is this a bug or a feature? If these settings are applied system-wide, then I should not be getting any visual FX on the restricted account. Ideas?

:)

cosmik, Mar 26, 2020
  2. Bulldog Win User

Standard Account 'Forgets' Visual Effects

On a clean install of Windows 10 Professional v.1909 Build 18363.657, whenever I sign out of my Standard user account, Windows resets my visual effects to default.

Here's what I do:

Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings > enter the Administrator password > Advanced tab > Performance Settings button > Visual Effects tab > Custom

From here I setup my visual effects and then click on 'Apply' and then click on 'OK' and again 'OK.'

My visual effects are maintained until I sign out of my account. When I sign in again, my visual effects have been reset to their defaults. (The Administrators account has no such problem.)

How can I persuade Windows 10 to maintain my visual effects.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is how I managed to persuade Windows 10 to maintain my settings for visual effects:

Control Panel > Ease of Access Center > Make the computer easier to see > Make things on the screen easier to see > Turn off all unnecessary animations (when possible) > REMOVE the checkmark > Apply > OK

Exit from Control Panel.

Then I did the same thing, only this time I REPLACED the checkmark in "Turn off all unnecessary animations (when possible)" and then Apply > OK

I signed out ... I signed in ... and most of my visual effects settings were maintained! There are two remaining undesired visual effects for which I will need to edit the registry, but I had the same thing in my previous Windows install.

Bulldog, Mar 26, 2020
  3. Lock Screen Fade to Desktop Effect Not Working

Hi,

Before we assist you let us know few details,

• Did you made any changes to your computer prior to the issue?

• Have you created any system restore point on your computer?

As initial troubleshooting steps I suggest you to install the latest windows 10 updates, please follow the steps to install all the windows updates.

If you want to check for the update now, select the Start button, then select
    Settings > Update & security >
    Windows Update > Check for updates.

We suggest you to try changing the visual effect setting. To Change your Visual Effects Settings in Advanced System Settings refer the below steps,

• Press Windows logo key+ X

• Click on Control panel

• Select System and Security

• Click on System

• And select System protection

• Select Advanced tab and click on
      Settings

• Now select the option Let Windows choose what’s best for my computer
      option.

And check if this helps to resolve the issue.

Hope this information helps with best visual effect on your device.

Thank you.

Krishna Priya V, Mar 26, 2020
  4. Windows does not seem to respect disabled visual effects on restricted accounts

Windows 7 Visual Effects

Anyone know where the registry settings are located in Windows 7 for Visual Effects?

I'm trying to create a .bat or .reg file to modify these visual effects settings.

Morrison5891, Mar 26, 2020
Thema:

Windows does not seem to respect disabled visual effects on restricted accounts

1. Windows does not seem to respect disabled visual effects on restricted accounts - Similar Threads - does seem respect

2. "Restrictions: This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Restrictions: This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this...: I am the admin. Haven't made any group policy changes since install of the OS a month ago because another update corrupted the OS completely for the 3rd time in a few years and verified it wasn't my AV software. No new installations on my part, just Windows updates. I will...
  3. "Restrictions: This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Restrictions: This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this...: I am the admin. Haven't made any group policy changes since install of the OS a month ago because another update corrupted the OS completely for the 3rd time in a few years and verified it wasn't my AV software. No new installations on my part, just Windows updates. I will...
  4. "Restrictions: This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Regedit, manually undo changes does not seem to have an effect.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Regedit, manually undo changes does not seem to have an effect.: Hello, So I was trying to follow step from: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/2688326/can-t-open-exe-files-in-windows-7-or-windows-vista Click the Startbutton and type regedit in the Search boxRight-click Regedit.exe in the returned list and click Run as...
  6. Visual effects won't save/change on stardard account.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Visual effects won't save/change on stardard account.: Hello, i am using clean install of Windows 10 Pro 1909 x64. I am on standard account, however my visual effects won't save, or changes won't apply! For example: "Show translucent selection rectangle" is unchecked, yet when i box select something on desktop, i have still...
  7. Standard Account 'Forgets' Visual Effects

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Standard Account 'Forgets' Visual Effects: On a clean install of Windows 10 Professional v.1909 Build 18363.657, whenever I sign out of my Standard user account, Windows resets my visual effects to default. Here's what I do: Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings > enter the Administrator password >...
  8. Remove Windows Media Player Visual Effect.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove Windows Media Player Visual Effect.: I installed from effects and I installed Dungeon Siege and now I don't want that effect anymore but I don't know how to remove it. i just want to know how to remove any effect...
  9. How to fix 100% disk usage by disabling Visual Effects

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to fix 100% disk usage by disabling Visual Effects: I spent 3 days trying to figure my 100% disk usage out, literally trying everything I could find on Google to fix it. No luck. I then noticed in Resource Monitor, the responsible process (svchost.exe wsappx), had Windows.Photo in its file path, which led me to think that...
  10. Change Visual Effects Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Visual Effects Settings in Windows 10: How to: Change Visual Effects Settings in Windows 10 How to Change Visual Effects Settings in Windows 10 Visual effects are the visual bells and whistles for the appearance of Windows for your account. These visual bells and whistles can affect the performance of...