Windows 10: Windows doesn't assign drive letter automatically

Discus and support Windows doesn't assign drive letter automatically in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi! Till tomorrow my 2TB WD elements Drive having single partition works fine. Automatically detection of drive and drive letter was assigned... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Gouranga-Das, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Windows doesn't assign drive letter automatically

Hi!

Till tomorrow my 2TB WD elements Drive having single partition works fine. Automatically detection of drive and drive letter was assigned automatically.

But today I am facing some strange issues regarding this drive.

1. After plug-in the drive, disk management shows it. But Windows doesn't assign drive letter automatically.

2. At this stage, in Disk Management, Properties window of the drive ( from right-click context menu) is not showing up.

3. Using 'Change drive letter and path..' I can/have to assign a drive letter (example the drive letter is JWindows doesn't assign drive letter automatically :). But after ejection of the drive using 'Safely remove hardware and eject media' form taskbar and re-plug in the drive, that drive letter (JWindows doesn't assign drive letter automatically :) is not seemed to be reassigned to this drive any more. In explorer double-clicking the drive (JWindows doesn't assign drive letter automatically :) shows the 'Location not available' issue. I have to use another drive letter for the same drive

Windows doesn't assign drive letter automatically cccc0f80-52f5-4a5d-96e6-0ad103c1f040?upload=true.png 4. Disk Clean-up button is missing in Drive properties windows in File Explorer. Clicking on 'Check' from 'Error checking' group of 'Tools' tab of Properties window doesn't open up 'Error checking option'.

5. This drive is unfornately missing fron Recycle Bin Location in Recycle Bin Properties.

6. After deleting a file from this drive, explorer doesn't show 'Undo Delete' in context menu. God knows the file goes where? And the 'Recycle Bin' is also missing in explorer window after exploring the drive. (Show Hidden file.... is checked and Hide protected operating system files is unchecked.)

7. CHKDSK with /f doesnot return any issue.

8. The Disk Drive has Master Boot Record(MBR) as in 'Disk Information' group in 'Volumes' tab in Disk Drive Properties from Device Manager. But TestDisk automatically selects 'EFI GPT' (in Hint it shows: EFI GPT Partition table type has been detected) not 'INTEL' after selecting the disk.

9. I have tried to clear hidden attribute( I guess it may exists) of the partition form Diskpart. Here's the Diskpart Results to worry about:

DISKPART> automount

Automatic mounting of new volumes enabled.

DISKPART> attributes disk

Current Read-only State : No
    Read-only : No
    Boot Disk : No
    Pagefile Disk : No
    Hibernation File Disk : No
    Crashdump Disk : No
    Clustered Disk : No

DISKPART> list part

Partition ### Type Size Offset
    ------------- ---------------- ------- -------
    Partition 1 Primary 1862 GB 1024 KB

DISKPART> select part 1

Partition 1 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART> attributes volume

Read-only : No
    Hidden : Yes
    No Default Drive Letter: No
    Shadow Copy : No

DISKPART> attributes volume clear hidden

DiskPart has encountered an error: Incorrect function.
    See the System Event Log for more information.

From Event Viewer Error Event Data: 1@01010015

-----

Now I want this drive working well without format or any kind of data loss.

Will you give some light in this issue? Thanks in advance.

:)

Gouranga-Das, Nov 8, 2018
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Nov 8, 2018
  3. CW00 Win User
    Assign a drive letter

When I plug an external hard drive to my PC (Windows 10) via the USB, the computer does not recognize it in Windows Explorer. I have to go into Disk Management to assign the drive a letter before I can see it in Windows Explorer. Is there an option in
    Windows 10 to automatically assign the drive a letter, and I can see the drive in Windows Explorer, so I do not have to keep having to assign letters to external drives?

CW00, Nov 8, 2018
  4. Windows doesn't assign drive letter automatically

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

maybe your USB drive is trying to assign a drive letter that is already taken.

goto

start > control panel > administrative tools > computer manager > disk manager

find your USB drive and assign is a drive letter

cjoyce1980, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

Windows doesn't assign drive letter automatically

1. Windows doesn't assign drive letter automatically - Similar Threads - doesn't assign drive

2. Assigning Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Assigning Drive Letter: I am trying to assign a particular letter to one of my hard drives. None of my other drives are assigned that letter, but it is not listed in the choices. Is there something I can do?...
  3. Windows doesn't assign drive letter automatically to internal hard disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows doesn't assign drive letter automatically to internal hard disk: I am having the EXACT same issue that is described in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-doesnt-assign-drive-letter-automatically/582da71d-caac-489a-a6c7-723c50256288 I've had this issue since I first bought my computer, in 2017 (I think) I've...
  4. Order of drive letter assignment

in Windows 10 Customization
    Order of drive letter assignment: I have a desktop system with a C drive (SSD), a D (Raid SATA) , E (SSD). I also have an Epson WP-4535 connected via a USB port. For whatever reason, Windows assigns the next three drive letters to the printer, I'm not clear why. These assignments don't show up explorer, or...
  5. Assign a drive letter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Assign a drive letter: When I plug an external hard drive to my PC (Windows 10) via the USB, the computer does not recognize it in Windows Explorer. I have to go into Disk Management to assign the drive a letter before I can see it in Windows Explorer. Is there an option in Windows 10 to...
  6. Change assigned drive letters

in Windows 10 Support
    Change assigned drive letters: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  7. Cannot Assign Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot Assign Drive Letter: Normally when a drive has no drive letter, I can assign one in disk manager but not this time. Disk Manager does not provide the option of assigning a drive letter so I cannot use the drive??? [img] 111481
  8. How to get drive letter assigned automatically ?

How to get drive letter assigned automatically ?: Every week I clone my SSD to two other SSDs; when I connect the first of those target SSDs, a drive letter is assigned, and so it shows in File Explorer, and cloning can proceed. The second target SSD appears in Disk Manager - where I can allocate a drive letter to it, and...
  9. Trouble Assigning Drive Letters

Trouble Assigning Drive Letters: Okay, I recently moved my complete MAME set to an external hd, which my computer designated "D." I also backed up my computer to a separate external hd, which my computer designated as "K." I want the backup hd to be "D" and the MAME hd to be something else. I selected...
  10. Cannot assign a drive letter

Cannot assign a drive letter: Hi folk. I have an external drive where the electronics of the case has failed. I have switched the drive into my pc so that I can use it as an internal drive. The drive is still operational but I cannot see it listed in my drives. Opening up disk manager shows the drive is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows