Windows 10: Windows doesn't auto-recognize 2nd monitor is off

Discus and support Windows doesn't auto-recognize 2nd monitor is off in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I regularly use a primary monitor, and sometimes I turn on a secondary monitor. On my old desktop, windows would auto-recognize when the 2nd monitor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AlexR_507, Aug 6, 2020.

1. AlexR_507 Win User

Windows doesn't auto-recognize 2nd monitor is off

I regularly use a primary monitor, and sometimes I turn on a secondary monitor. On my old desktop, windows would auto-recognize when the 2nd monitor was on or off. If it was on, windows would *automatically* extend the desktop to it, and if it was off, windows would automatically stop extending the desktop to it.

On my new desktop computer Dell 7080, this function no longer works. Windows extends the desktop to the 2nd monitor regardless of whether I turn it on or off. When the monitor is off, this creates problems. For example, my mouse pointer can still run off of my first monitor and "onto" the 2nd monitor, which is off. Programs might also open onto the 2nd monitor, even though it is not on.

I called Microsoft tech support, and they said Windows does not have the ability to recognize when monitors are on or off and extend the desktop or not. But I know it does, since that happens on my other desktop! Can anyone tell me how to get windows to auto-recognize that monitors are on or off?

In case it matters: I know how to manually tell Windows to extend the desktop or not. What I'm wondering is how to get Windows to do this *automatically*.

Thanks!

:)

AlexR_507, Aug 6, 2020
  2. blenz Win User

Windows 10 Not Recognizing 2nd Monitor After Updates

Here's the Laptop I'm using, brand new:
    HP - ENVY 17.3" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce 940M - 1TB Hard Drive

I'm using a 2nd monitor that's worked since I've got them both a month ago brand new. I'm using HDMI to HDMI for input and after auto-updates, now nothing I can do will get it to recognize my 2nd monitor, which is this one:
    Acer - 27" LED HD

Everything worked perfectly, now it's like I don't even have a 2nd monitor. Drivers are updated, I tried restarting. Nothing works. Any suggestions?

Here's what it says:

Windows doesn't auto-recognize 2nd monitor is off [​IMG]

Thanks.

blenz, Aug 6, 2020
  3. recognizing 2nd and 3rd monitors

when I power off my machine does not recognize the 2nd & 3rd monitors.

Carol Gross, Aug 6, 2020
  4. Windows doesn't auto-recognize 2nd monitor is off

Windows 10 doesn't recognize 2nd monitor

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Hardware and Device troubleshooter.

• Press Windows Key + X key, Click on Control Panel.
    • Type troubleshooting in the search bar, click on troubleshooting.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound, click on Hardware and Devices.
    • Follow the steps from the wizard to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2: update drivers.

I suggest you to update your display adaptor drivers and check. Before you update the drivers, please enable the computer to get automatic updates,

Download and install drivers

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/all-drivers

Note: The above links applies to Windows 10 as well.

You may also download the latest graphic and all other drivers from the manufacturer’s website and install it on your computer.

Refer the Wiki article by Andre Da Costa for more information on add and use a second monitor with Windows 10:

How to add multiple monitors to your Windows 10 PC

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Aug 6, 2020
Thema:

Windows doesn't auto-recognize 2nd monitor is off

1. Windows doesn't auto-recognize 2nd monitor is off - Similar Threads - doesn't auto recognize

2. 2nd monitor turned off, 2nd desktop still active

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2nd monitor turned off, 2nd desktop still active: HiWindows 10, 21H2 OS Build 19044.1889I've two monitors linked up to my PC:Left side: 1st monitor: DVIRight side: 2nd montor: DP from PC to VGA via adapterNow when I turn off my 2nd monitor, the desktop for this monitor still seems to be enabled. I could move the mouse all to...
  3. WINDOWS 10 NOT RECOGNIZING 2ND MONITOR

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WINDOWS 10 NOT RECOGNIZING 2ND MONITOR: After installing Windows 10 I am unable to get my second monitor to work. The monitor says, "no HDMI signal from your device." This monitor and video card was working fine before the upgrade. I contacted support case number 1032675835 and after going through the instructions...
  4. WINDOWS 10 NOT RECOGNIZING 2ND MONITOR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WINDOWS 10 NOT RECOGNIZING 2ND MONITOR: After installing Windows 10 I am unable to get my second monitor to work. The monitor says, "no HDMI signal from your device." This monitor and video card was working fine before the upgrade. I contacted support case number 1032675835 and after going through the instructions...
  5. WINDOWS 10 NOT RECOGNIZING 2ND MONITOR

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. 2nd touchscreen monitor doesn't work

in Windows 10 Customization
    2nd touchscreen monitor doesn't work: Hello, i am trying to connect a second touchscreen monitor to my intel nuc that already has a dell touchscreen as a primary. The problem I'm having is that the touch does respond from the second monitor but it works like a trackpad and only moves the cursor on the main...
  7. 2nd Monitor not recognized with Windows 10

2nd Monitor not recognized with Windows 10: Recently I shut down my computer and moved it to another room. When I reconnected both monitors and restarted the system, only one monitor is recognized. I've updated the display drivers, rolled back the display drivers, restarted the system, unplugged the monitors and...
  8. Recognize 2nd monitor has source changed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recognize 2nd monitor has source changed: This is likely something silly that I should be able to figure out but haven't found an answer yet. I run dual monitors and my primary is also connected to xbox. If boot with my primary display (display port) set to a different source (ie xbox via HDMI) - windows recognizes...
  9. Laptop not recognizing 2nd monitor being unplugged

Laptop not recognizing 2nd monitor being unplugged: Hello, I Have a MSI laptop with a GTX 1060 and an Intel i7 7700HQ, and a HP w2338h monitor. I have it connected to a GANA hdmi splitter, and as of recently having problems. When I switch what port I'm using on the splitter (port one is the laptop, port 2 is my switch), the...
  10. Windows 10 Not Recognizing 2nd Monitor After Updates

Windows 10 Not Recognizing 2nd Monitor After Updates: Here's the Laptop I'm using, brand new: HP - ENVY 17.3" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce 940M - 1TB Hard Drive I'm using a 2nd monitor that's worked since I've got them both a month ago brand new. I'm using HDMI to HDMI for input and after...