Windows 10: Windows doesn't boot after BSOD and and possible data loss

Discus and support Windows doesn't boot after BSOD and and possible data loss in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I had many BSODses in last few months more details here where you can also find my system information, initially very often many times per day, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Filip Štamcar, May 11, 2020.

1. Windows doesn't boot after BSOD and and possible data loss

I had many BSODses in last few months more details here where you can also find my system information, initially very often many times per day, but later "only" few times per week. Because of that, I thought it was partly fixed.

However, today I got another BSOD stop code: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, what failed: Ntfs.sys. After PC rebooted, I got "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete." message on startup. After some time, I god message that "Automatic fix could not fix your computer" or something like this because this was translated and I don't know what original was.

Log file SrcTrail.txt showed many checks/tests with exit code 0x0, but "Check for installed ICU" with exit code 0x3f1.

I used recovery command prompt and tried to show my data. System and programs are stored in SSD C:, while most of my user profile is saved in second HDD drive in "D:\Users\USERNAME" in recovery command prompt drive letters were reversed so data drive was C: and system was D:. I went into "C:\Users\" because drive letters were reversed and first tried to just show content of that directory which should show USERNAME directory inside. It did show my directory, but when I tried "dir USERNAME", it displayed something like that directory was not found.

I then followed this guide which was supposed to fix "Repairing disk errors" problem. I ran those commands:

• bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
    • bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    • bootrec.exe /fixboot

I think that second of them fixmbr said that I don't have enough privileges, but other two worked.

This still didn't fix problem, so I also ran:

• chkdsk /r c:
    • chkdsk /r d:

This took few hours, but I noticed that in Stage 1 or 2 of repairing my data C: disk, it said "deleting index entry..." with name of my USERNAME directory and some other data files.

After the process finished, I tried rebooting computer, but I got the same "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete." as before. I also tried booting into safe mode, but the problem persisted.

Is there any way to fix boot and, more importantly, recover my data? I have some quite important data there.

Although I think I have some backups, they are probably quite old. I was planning to do another backup this week, but unfortunately, BSOD happened before I could do backup.

Also, until I fix the problem, I can boot system from Linux USB and use it some some work.

However, I saw that because my data got corrupted, I should write to my disks as few as possible so that data won't get corrupted even more. Is it ok to just unplug my disks from data and power cables when I obviously mean before, when the power is off I use system from USB, at least until I know how to recover data?

:)

Filip Štamcar, May 11, 2020
  2. BetoLP Win User

Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

Windows doesn't boot after BSOD and and possible data loss [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, May 11, 2020
  3. BetoLP Win User
    Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks for your answer, ken!
    I deleted all my data. I had have it backed up.

I did a clean installation using the windows media creation tool (usb option).

No, I didn`t. I thought a clean installation would solve the problem.

After posting my previous message, I did it.

Windows doesn't boot after BSOD and and possible data loss [​IMG]

After chkdsk, I close cmd and tried to boot and the laptop just turned it off. This morning I`ve restarted it and automatically windows did a repair. Windows has booted and it seems that the repair tool has removed chrome and acrobat pdf reader (the only two programs I had installed after reinstalling windows).

Now Windows is installing updates and restarting my lapop, I`m kind of frightened. I don`t want it to happen again. Anyhow, I want to know what has brought the issue

I`ve been looking for information about the error code at the end of the picture and I didn`t get anywhere.

BetoLP, May 11, 2020
  4. Windows doesn't boot after BSOD and and possible data loss

ughhh! BSOD on boot

I guess my computer BSOD on boot right before getting to windows. not sure what the problem is though, everything is stable.

It gave me a list of two files in windows that could have caused the problems

MxPhenom 216, May 11, 2020
Thema:

Windows doesn't boot after BSOD and and possible data loss

1. Windows doesn't boot after BSOD and and possible data loss - Similar Threads - doesn't boot BSOD

2. Can't login to original account, possible loss of data ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't login to original account, possible loss of data ?: Hello, I wanted to change the username folder of my account and was following this tutorial: How to Change the User Profile Folder Name in Windows 11 makeuseof.comBeing the naive person I am, I skipped the initial steps and didn't read them and ended up changing the...
  3. Can't login to original account, possible loss of data ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't login to original account, possible loss of data ?: Hello, I wanted to change the username folder of my account and was following this tutorial: How to Change the User Profile Folder Name in Windows 11 makeuseof.comBeing the naive person I am, I skipped the initial steps and didn't read them and ended up changing the...
  4. Loss of data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Loss of data: I recently signed into my schools Microsoft account on my personal computer. I managed to sign in and could use all of the facilities they offer. However, i decided to sign out of my schools Microsoft account and upon returning to my homepage I lost all of my data. I then...
  5. Loss of data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Loss of data: I recently signed into my schools Microsoft account on my personal computer. I managed to sign in and could use all of the facilities they offer. However, i decided to sign out of my schools Microsoft account and upon returning to my homepage I lost all of my data. I then...
  6. Windows doesn't boot after BSOD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows doesn't boot after BSOD.: Just like the title says. The laptop was working normally, got BSOD for no reason, I didn't install anything, the laptop was just playing music from YouTube. I didn't get the BSOD message either, but I believe it said, that the hard drive was removed or something like...
  7. Windows doesn't boot after BSOD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows doesn't boot after BSOD.: Just like the title says. The laptop was working normally, got BSOD for no reason, I didn't install anything, the laptop was just playing music from YouTube. I didn't get the BSOD message either, but I believe it said, that the hard drive was removed or something like...
  8. Windows doesn't boot after BSOD.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Possible data loss after windows 10 update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Possible data loss after windows 10 update?: Hi there, I currently use a Lenovo laptop and had a windows 10 update last friday. Afterwards I noticed that the data in my local Drive C:/ changed. It had 10GB remaining before the update, and went up to 50GB after the update which means that 40GB of data was deleted. Should...
  10. After Windows update, BSOD, and now loss of BCD data

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    After Windows update, BSOD, and now loss of BCD data: I'm completely locked out of my main drive. I had a BSOD with the message "Thread stuck in driver" and decided to apply the latest windows update after getting back up and running. This resulted in a crash and now I get the error "The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is...