Windows 10: Windows doesn't reliably reopen programs after a shutdown

Discus and support Windows doesn't reliably reopen programs after a shutdown in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; So I started leaving two Chrome windows open, plus a few other things when I shutdown the PC every night, so they reopen the next day and I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by LtLoLz, Mar 2, 2019.

1. LtLoLz Win User

Windows doesn't reliably reopen programs after a shutdown

So I started leaving two Chrome windows open, plus a few other things when I shutdown the PC every night, so they reopen the next day and I can continue where I left off. So far it has happened at least 3 times that Windows 10 reopened only spotify and stickies and not Chrome. So I then had to reopen those manually from Recently closed tabs. Today I didn't notice that it didn't open, opened a new browser window and I lost 40+ open and pinned tabs.

I really try to use new windows features, but it seems they want to constantly remind us why we hate them. Can't really use them if we can't rely on them to work properly.

:)

LtLoLz, Mar 2, 2019

2. Apps reopening on start up after shutdown/restart

Hi,

Thank you for posting your concern. Please confirm if you already install the
    January 31st update (KB4058258 (OS Build 16299.214)) and perform the steps provided
    by PaulSey....

You can also use command line to disable apps from auto reopening in Windows.

• Open Command Prompt and type command shutdown -t 0 -s to shut down.
    • If you want to restart use command shutdown -t 0 -r and hit Enter.

Let us know how it goes.

Lemuel Cie, Mar 2, 2019
  3. Dugular7 Win User
    Windows 10 reopens program after shutdown or restart

Hello,

Recently, Windows 10 is reopening programs that were open when the computer is restarted or shutdown.

My wife and I both use the computer, and neither of us like this new feature. We have to use the classic shutdown method to ensure no programs are reopened.

Im a gamer as well, so hate the idea that if my wife last used the computer on her account, my computer will reopen her programs even if ive signed into my account.

How can I disable the feature properly? I want Windows to behave how it did when I paid for it: Restart and Shutdowns did NOT reopen programs.

PS: Microsoft, please stop saying youre seriously considering gamers every Windows release, when you add features like this without the ability to turn it off.

Dugular7, Mar 2, 2019
  4. Dugular7 Win User

Windows 10 reopens program after shutdown or restart

Thanks again for your suggestions.

I have cortana disabled and dont keep a microphone plugged in.

Just to explain further, I know ways to avoid programs reopening by shutting down and restarting in specific ways, therefore my question is not to find other ways to avoid programs reopening on startup. What Im after is a way to avoid programs reopening
    *regardless* of the shut down or restart method used.

Its not the end of the world for me if there isnt a setting, of course we will be fine adapting, but if there is a way to properly disable it then that would make my experience with Windows better.

Dugular7, Mar 2, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows doesn't reliably reopen programs after a shutdown - Similar Threads - doesn't reliably reopen

2. Windows 10 - Will not Shutdown/Sleep, will reopen sign-in screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 - Will not Shutdown/Sleep, will reopen sign-in screen.: Hey guys, Recently transferred my Windows install to a new drive, and now it refuses to shutdown/sleep. Tried through cmd, windows menu, and physical buttons on case, however every time it will just go back to the windows sign in screen after screen going black for 2-3...
  3. Windows 10 - Will not Shutdown/Sleep, will reopen sign-in screen.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 - Will not Shutdown/Sleep, will reopen sign-in screen.: Hey guys, Recently transferred my Windows install to a new drive, and now it refuses to shutdown/sleep. Tried through cmd, windows menu, and physical buttons on case, however every time it will just go back to the windows sign in screen after screen going black for 2-3...
  4. Windows 10 - Will not Shutdown/Sleep, will reopen sign-in screen.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  5. bluetooth button is always missing after i shutdown and reopen my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bluetooth button is always missing after i shutdown and reopen my laptop: it started about 2 months ago when i didnt use bluetooth headphones much but as the audio driver statred to malfunction i was more inclined towards the consumption of bluetooth headphones but alas , my misfortune had the better of me and the bluetooth driver needs many...
  6. programs reopen upon close

in Windows 10 Customization
    programs reopen upon close: Hi guys, I have a question about my PC with win10. Every time when I close a program ex Word, Skype, Zoom, it will automatically reopen again. I will have to close it the second time in order to close it completely. Please help, it is annoying. Thanks in advance!...
  7. A way to reopen previously running programs after rebooting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A way to reopen previously running programs after rebooting: Hi, Is it possible to reopen programs I was running after shutting down my PC? I have some PDF files, Reference software (Mendeley) with multiple tabs open and also multiple file explorer paths (multiple browser tabs too, but this is easily retrievable). Would like to get...
  8. Programs still running after shutdown

in Windows 10 Customization
    Programs still running after shutdown: Hi i bought a new Laptop :(Acer Nitro 5) and when i shut down it from the start menu and open it again after some time I find the same pograms still running I tried this solution: Open start, type: CMD Right click CMD Click Run as administrator At the command...
  9. Disable reopening programs after windows update restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disable reopening programs after windows update restart: Occasionally, a forced restart is happening on my Windows 10 computer. When the OS is restarted every program that I've had prior to the restart is reopened at startup. The programs are reopened like I would just double-click them. I usually hold 5-6 windows of Visual Studio...
  10. PC doesn't turn off after windows shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    PC doesn't turn off after windows shutdown: I just finished building a PC, installed windows 10 and updated all drivers and BIOS from Asus website. When I turn off the PC, windows shuts down fine, but the computer stays on with a black screen and all the fans, lights, HDD, etc still on. I have to turn it off with the...