Windows 10: Windows doesn't respect default email program setting

Discus and support Windows doesn't respect default email program setting in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a Surface Pro, it is fully updated. I have office 365, with Outlook installed. The default email program is set to the Windows 10 email... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Linear2202, May 30, 2019.

1. Windows doesn't respect default email program setting

I have a Surface Pro, it is fully updated. I have office 365, with Outlook installed.

The default email program is set to the Windows 10 email client. It is not set to Outlook from Office.

If I open folder with pictures in it with Windows Explorer. I right click on a picture. Select Send To. Click on Mail Recipient. I'm prompted to change the size of the photo. I click "attach" and then up comes the email message for Outlook. Not an email message for the Windows 10 email app.

Windows doesn't respect default email program setting af3ad55e-9ba1-430d-9c48-0f52bacf2d55?upload=true.png

So how can I somehow reset the default app setting. I've tried changing it to Outlook and back to Mail. That hasn't helped. I could try the store troubleshooter, but haven't yet.

Thoughts? Any help is appreciated.

:)

Linear2202, May 30, 2019
  2. Joan Pin Win User

Trouble shoot default email program in Windows 10

Hi Bobby,

Windows Mail is an email and newsgroup client included in Windows 10. To make sure that Windows Mail is set up on your system, you may follow the steps provided in this
    article. You may also check the troubleshooting steps included in the link provided.

As an additional help, you may refer to these steps on how to set Windows Mail as your default email program:

• Press Windows key + R and type winmail /reg.
    • If you get an error message, type "C:\Program Files\Windows Mail\WinMail" /reg.
    • Click OK and wait for ten seconds to finished the process.
    • Open Control Panel and go to Programs.
    • Select Set your default programs.
    • Highlight Windows Mail under Programs.
    • Click Set this program as default and press OK.

Let us know if the recommended resolution works for you.

Joan Pin, May 30, 2019
  3. Windows 10 program default settings

Can anyone please assist with how to correctly register a custom email program in Windows 10?

The custom program works perfectly in Windows 10, but I am unable to get the program recognized as mailto: or the default Mail Client so as be able to stop Outlook coming up (eg when a mail link is clicked in a browser). The program works perfectly in Windows
    7 and the registry settings for Windows 7 work with respect to both default Mail Client and mailto:, but not in Windows 10.

What are the additional registry settings required in Windows 10 to get my program:

1 recognized as a mail program so I can set it as the default (the Protocol settings that work in Windows 7 registry seem to be ignored) - it doesn't even come up in the mail client options (any of the lists), and there is no option to select a mail client
    other than from the Store or the ones Microsoft wants everyone to use

2 able to be set as the default mailto: client - it doesn't even come up in the list of all apps to select from to be able to set it as a default manually by program - although it DOES appear correctly in the list of programs accessible from the All Apps
    list from the start menu

Before anyone points me to the 500 search links I have already looked at ad nauseam that suggest setting these defaults manually - I can't. The app does not come up in the list of apps (any of the options) from which defaults can be set even though it
    is correctly registered as an installed app from the start menu, nor is there a file-type I can click on in Explorer to get at the defaults that way. Nor does changing any of the registry settings as used in Windows 7 make any difference, and ALL of the
    links I have searched for come up with registry settings for pre-Windows 10, not Windows 10, even though I specify Windows 10 in my searches......

I have even tried using Advanced Installer to install the program to see if that made any difference with registering - it doesn't.

If someone can point me to where Microsoft is hiding the actual Windows 10 registry specifications for mail clients that actually work it would be very much appreciated?

Thanks

One of the Old Hands, May 30, 2019
  4. Windows doesn't respect default email program setting

How to set default programs in Windows 10

How do I set Maple as a default programme when it does not appear in the list of programmes, even though its .exe file appears under Program Files in the directories Maple15 and Maple16.

Failing that how do I set a default programme for .mw files when this extension does not appear in the list, even thought it is a valid extension for Maple programmes.

RonaldCurtisKing, May 30, 2019
Thema:

Windows doesn't respect default email program setting

1. Windows doesn't respect default email program setting - Similar Threads - doesn't respect default

2. Windows "respects" power settings???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows "respects" power settings???: windows "respects" power settings???????????????"What? How?" MemeNOTE: This is not a question. I just want to post this for fun. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-respects-power-settings/6c0ca8f2-59cb-4ed1-b7ad-b1090af39833
  3. Windows "respects" power settings???

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows "respects" power settings???: windows "respects" power settings???????????????"What? How?" MemeNOTE: This is not a question. I just want to post this for fun. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-respects-power-settings/6c0ca8f2-59cb-4ed1-b7ad-b1090af39833
  4. no default email program

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    no default email program: I have used Thunderbird for my email for years. Suddenly windows 10 tells me I have no default email program. I checked and Thunderbird is set as the default. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-default-email-program/9f4074a3-8bfd-4ef7-9daa-924d0bc06067
  5. Windows respect my settings.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows respect my settings.: Can you believe this OS can't get something as simple as time right, I have been late for appointments because it decided to roll back my time by an hour, I have been dealing with this for months now, last week it really crushed me when it went back 2 hours which it has never...
  6. Setting default programs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting default programs: I am aware of how to change the default program in windows for file extensions, etc, but I want to be able to set the default association to any application of my choosing. I have seen old guides about this going into the old control panel, but that no longer works. Is there...
  7. change default email program ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    change default email program ?: how to change default email program from outlook to win 10 app? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-default-email-program/b146b8b3-2491-48c1-bcc0-499ac61cfc82"
  8. Setting default programs

Setting default programs: I would like to know why you can only set Microsoft Programs as the default programs In Windows 10, I have a media player i realy like and i can not set it as my default Media Program for some reason and i would like to know why and how Microsft is allowed by the Governement...
  9. Default Email program

Default Email program: Hello I want to set Mozilla Thunderbirds as my email default client on MS Win 10 Pro , but I cant as this is no option in settings, neither when I go to Store. What can I do ? Thanks...
  10. Doesn't windows respect privacy anymore?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Doesn't windows respect privacy anymore?: I know windows stopped caring about respecting users privacy ages ago, forcing more advanced users to use custom dlls blocking services and messing up with way deeper settings buried in lost dark places of windows. What I cant understand is that after all of that, with...