Windows 10: Windows doesn't show up my external disk, and does not list as a volume in diskpart

Discus and support Windows doesn't show up my external disk, and does not list as a volume in diskpart in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, Recently when I unplugged and plugged my drive in my computer, the disk management showed it should re structure the format or something, and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by demi365, May 24, 2019.

1. demi365 Win User

Windows doesn't show up my external disk, and does not list as a volume in diskpart

Hi,

Recently when I unplugged and plugged my drive in my computer, the disk management showed it should re structure the format or something, and then I clicked hoping to get done with the pop-up, but then I ended up with this,

1. The drive which was always working in the same computer (since it was practically always a part of this computer, unless like this one time), does not show up in the My computer.

Windows doesn't show up my external disk, and does not list as a volume in diskpart 95b37648-5bac-4095-9bf9-dfadb824138c?upload=true.png

2. When I try to assign a letter to it, from disk management, diskmgr does not even recognize my disk.

Windows doesn't show up my external disk, and does not list as a volume in diskpart 63ccc0c1-eecf-46a4-915c-a22ab62673ad?upload=true.png

3. When I list disk it shows my drive is Online, much surprise it still shows Online, but free 931GB, what the, what happen to my entire 900+GB data.

4. When I list volume even after selecting this disk, it still shows volumes of the disk 0. The disk I am talking about is the disk 1 from the below ss.

Windows doesn't show up my external disk, and does not list as a volume in diskpart f2636766-12ee-4e02-be9c-372bc0237aa7?upload=true.png

Please help me out here, how do I recover this data, I would need them. And what exactly do you guys think happened here, is it lost partition/ deleted partition/ disk corrupted? Not sure, which solutions I find online to apply?

Thanks in advance.

:)

demi365, May 24, 2019

2. Disk showing in Disk Management, But not DiskPart

Hello!

So, today I was doing a friend a favor, he had an old 1TB hard drive with important photos on it. He said he would appreciate it if I could move the photos to a different hard drive.

So, I hooked it up to my self-built PC (with a SATA port) and it didn't show up in file explorer.

So, I checked Disk Management to see if it would show up there, and it did. I later realized why it didn't show up in file explorer (Because it didn't have a drive letter). In Disk Management, I right clicked the primary partition only to find that it wouldn't
    let me assign a drive letter.

I remembered there was another way to assign drive letters, with DiskPart. So I typed this into Command Prompt:

diskpart > list volume

In DiskPart, It showed the drive's EFI system partition (partition 1) but not the (Healthy) Primary Partition (partition 2).

Also in DiskPart, I could type "list disk" and it would show me the 1TB drive, if I then typed "list partition" it would show me the different partitions, but wouldn't let me assign a drive letter to them.

In summary, Disk Management showed the partition, but wouldn't assign a drive letter. DiskPart showed the partition 1, but not the primary partition.

My objective is to show the photos located on the 1TB drive's 2nd partition without erasing it.

I would be happy to add pictures if necessary.

Thanks!

John-Louis Barton, May 24, 2019
  3. Petros3D Win User
    Win 7 showing 746gb for 3tb drive?

Hi all.
    Here is simple way to convert MBR to GPT in in Windows 7 only in 5 steps in Command Prompt !!!

• Open a command prompt (Go to Start, Programs, Accessories and then click Run as Administrator on Command Prompt ) and type diskpart.

• DISKPART> type list disk. (To see all your conected hard drives)

• DISKPART> type select disk. (Choice the number of the disk from the list that you will change like <in my case was "3">)

• DISKPART> type clean. (This will delete all partitions or volumes on the this disk).

• DISKPART> type convert gpt
    THATS IT !!!
    Now you have a whole hard disk space at one unallocated part in GPT partition and you can make any new type volume (one ore more)

P.P. - for windows ver:
    Windows 95/98, 2000, NT 4 - No
    Windows XP 64-bit can use GPT disks for data only.
    Windows XP 32-bit will see only the Protective MBR. The EE partition will not be mounted or otherwise exposed to application software.
    Windows Vista & Windows 7 (all versions) can use GPT partitioned disks for data. Booting is only supported for 64-bit editions on UEFI-based systems.

Petros

Petros3D, May 24, 2019
  4. Lojong Win User

Windows doesn't show up my external disk, and does not list as a volume in diskpart

W10 Diskpart/disk list

Hi to all and thank you to Spunk and Navy LCDR - Issue almost resolved from your help.

I have just installed, in my notebook an old SSD EVO 850 Samsung as a 'second' separate SSD to use for a back-up.

When I try to use Diskpart to clean this SSD I encounter a hitch. After bringing up diskpart, I type 'disk list' and enter, but instead of the list of my disks being displayed, a long list of options' titles available from A - Z is shown.

How do I get to see the list of my disks ( 2 of them)? I see from others on line that entering 'disk list' does show the list of disks in their machine.

Guidance over this obstacle would be welcome.

Best wishes
    Lonjong

Lojong, May 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows doesn't show up my external disk, and does not list as a volume in diskpart - Similar Threads - doesn't show external

2. I'm trying to install windows. My SSD doesn't show up in List Disk, but it does show up in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm trying to install windows. My SSD doesn't show up in List Disk, but it does show up in...: I have an Hp pavilion x360 convertible model 15t-dq200. I am trying to install a Samsung 970 evo plus SSD.I set up a windows boot USB flash drive. I have tried both Windows 10 and Windows 11, and have had the same results.When I get to the "Where do you want to install...
  3. I'm trying to install windows. My SSD doesn't show up in List Disk, but it does show up in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm trying to install windows. My SSD doesn't show up in List Disk, but it does show up in...: I have an Hp pavilion x360 convertible model 15t-dq200. I am trying to install a Samsung 970 evo plus SSD.I set up a windows boot USB flash drive. I have tried both Windows 10 and Windows 11, and have had the same results.When I get to the "Where do you want to install...
  4. 2nd external hard disk doesn't show up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2nd external hard disk doesn't show up: 2nd external hard disk doesn't show up in my PC. Any idea would be much apprciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2nd-external-hard-disk-doesnt-show-up/2b5501c4-a4e4-4637-a7a6-b28c8fa30350
  5. 2nd external hard disk doesn't show up

2nd external hard disk doesn't show up: 2nd external hard disk doesn't show up in my PC. Any idea would be much apprciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2nd-external-hard-disk-doesnt-show-up/2b5501c4-a4e4-4637-a7a6-b28c8fa30350
  6. External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart: Hi, recently I wanted to format my fat32 external hard disk to NTFS. I copied the files and in between the copy was stopped and my laptop was hanged, when I unplugged the external hard disk the hang issue was sorted. When I again inserted my hard disk, it hung again, somehow,...
  7. External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart

External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart: Hi, recently I wanted to format my fat32 external hard disk to NTFS. I copied the files and in between the copy was stopped and my laptop was hanged, when I unplugged the external hard disk the hang issue was sorted. When I again inserted my hard disk, it hung again, somehow,...
  8. External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. diskpart doesn't show disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    diskpart doesn't show disk: Hey, I am trying to install Win10 on a mac book air. However the diskpart does not list the disk even after reformatting the partition as NTFS per suggestion. read through this solution but cannot move to step 1 listed in the solution by Ivan as that disk doesn't see...
  10. W10 Diskpart/disk list

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W10 Diskpart/disk list: Hi to all and thank you to Spunk and Navy LCDR - Issue almost resolved from your help. I have just installed, in my notebook an old SSD EVO 850 Samsung as a 'second' separate SSD to use for a back-up. When I try to use Diskpart to clean this SSD I encounter a hitch....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. THE GB DONT SHOW UP WHEN I RUN LISTDISK

2. disk not showed in diskpart

3. disk doesnt show in diskpart

4. disk part doesnt show my external hdd,
  5. device manager show disk but not Disk Management ot DISKPART