Windows 10: Windows doesn’t start after signon. Only command prompt appears

Discus and support Windows doesn’t start after signon. Only command prompt appears in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Any startup help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-doesnt-start-after-signon-only-command/d0aa1eb3-ce51-4bc3-b3d6-8b5f7481d76a Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DavidHeverin, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Windows doesn’t start after signon. Only command prompt appears

Any startup help

:)

DavidHeverin, Jun 30, 2020
  2. cwtech Win User

command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

Would I just follow the same steps within safe mode after hooking up to the other system?

cwtech, Jun 30, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

4. Windows doesn’t start after signon. Only command prompt appears

Windows 10 Taskbar Frozen, Limited Command Prompt Access

Hi Vestii,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

I would suggest you to try with the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1: DISM

I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Method 2:

Also, I would suggest you to perform a clean boot and check.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting".

Hope this helps. If you face any issues with Windows, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

ThofikhAhamad, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

Windows doesn’t start after signon. Only command prompt appears

1. Windows doesn’t start after signon. Only command prompt appears - Similar Threads - doesn’t start signon

2. wdagutilityaccount appears as guest in command prompt

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    wdagutilityaccount appears as guest in command prompt: wdagutilityaccount has it name set to guest rather than my user account. I am unsure why that is and I don't know if this would have any issues. Anywhere else I look the account always has the users name not guest. Appreciate any help.It shows as:net userAdministrator...
  3. wdagutilityaccount appears as guest in command prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wdagutilityaccount appears as guest in command prompt: wdagutilityaccount has it name set to guest rather than my user account. I am unsure why that is and I don't know if this would have any issues. Anywhere else I look the account always has the users name not guest. Appreciate any help.It shows as:net userAdministrator...
  4. wdagutilityaccount appears as guest in command prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows command prompt wont appear or 'run'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows command prompt wont appear or 'run': Hi, I have been reviewing 'make use of' MOU articles, recently, and one that hit home was windows slowing after updates. MOU first recommend winding the update back...wont do that, it's there for a purpose and that is agreed by them. But when they suggest entering...
  6. Command Prompt appears and disappears on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Command Prompt appears and disappears on Windows 10: [ATTACH]Command Prompt is used by applications to install or update components silently. If everything […] This article Command Prompt appears and disappears on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Command Prompt appears and disappears

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Command Prompt appears and disappears: Sometimes and not always command prompt appears while I am browsing on google and it stays there for like a second and then suddenly disappears . My laptop is new and it has no problems as of now also i scanned for viruses but it showed none , please someone help me because...
  8. Command prompt suddenly appears after power on?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Command prompt suddenly appears after power on?: Sometimes I suddenly get a command prompt after I have turned my laptop off and on again The program then appears several times in different windows directly after each other and then disappears again What could be the reason for that? Many thanks in advance...
  9. "Start this PC with a command prompt?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "Start this PC with a command prompt?: As already described in the title, I want to start "this PC" with a command prompt. Is that possible? Thanks for the many and quick answers, with which it worked :D "Dieser PC mit Eingabeaufforderung starten?
  10. Onedrive Command WIndow Popups at Signon

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive Command WIndow Popups at Signon: It appears when a user account is setup for onedrive that when the machine starts and the user logs in you can see a couple of command prompts flash on the screen. Is that the proper way it functions? Keep in mind it happens rather fast and it happens right before you...