Windows 10: Windows doesn't switch headphones when plugged in

Discus and support Windows doesn't switch headphones when plugged in in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Good evening folks! In these days I've been facing a quite annoying problem with Windows; when I plug the headphones Windows doesn't recognize it but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by simo.c, Jul 3, 2020.

1. simo.c Win User

Windows doesn't switch headphones when plugged in

Good evening folks!

In these days I've been facing a quite annoying problem with Windows; when I plug the headphones Windows doesn't recognize it but if I reboot with the headphones plugged in it works.

I've noticed that the Mixer applet groups Speakers and Headphones together under Speakers/Headphones RealtekR Audio, while some time ago it was separated.

I've already tried to uninstall drivers from the Device Manager and installing updates but it doesn't work However I've joined Windows Insider Program.

I've already downloaded and installed the driver from the Realtek website and it works upon few reboots, after that it breaks again.

My PC model and specs are the followings:

Dell G3 Gaming 3579

Specs:

i7 8750H

16GB RAM

1050ti as graphic card

Thanks for your attention :

:)

simo.c, Jul 3, 2020
  2. txstoby Win User

Speakers playing when headphones are plugged in

I have an HP laptop with windows 10. When my headphones are plugged in, the speakers are still playing. When I go to sounds, the only device listed is the speakers. How can I silence the speakers when the headphones are plugged in.

txstoby, Jul 3, 2020
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Computer Won't Auto Change the Playback Device When Headphones Plugged In/Out

Hi Michael,

I understand your concern and will be happy to assist you.

Is the issue specific to only Headphones/ Does External Speaker play when plugged in?

I suggest you to try resetting the default device as shown in the steps given below and check if the issue persists.

• Plug in the Headphones in the machine.

• Go to Start and Control Panel.

• Select 'Hardware and Sound'.

• Click 'Change system sounds'.

• Click 'Playback' tab. (It should then show you your headphones in the list).

• Select your proper Headphone device from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.

• Now unplug your Headphones and select speakers from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.
    Hope it helps. Please reply for further queries on this.

Arul_D, Jul 3, 2020
  4. Windows doesn't switch headphones when plugged in

Mic doesn't work when headphones are plugged in.

Hi Jragon,

Thank you for the reply. Sorry for the delay.

I suggest you to try the steps provided by SHIC24 replied on Jan 18, 2011 in the link below. Try to change the settings to Desktop Microphone instead of Headset Microphone.

Microphone doesn't work when headphone is plugged in (Windows 7 with Realtek HD Audio).

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jul 3, 2020
Thema:

Windows doesn't switch headphones when plugged in

1. Windows doesn't switch headphones when plugged in - Similar Threads - doesn't switch headphones

2. Laptop doesn't recognize headphones when plugged in.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop doesn't recognize headphones when plugged in.: Whenever I plug in my wired headphones into the audio jack, the audio still comes out of the laptop speakers and not the headphones. However when I open the Realtek audio console and then plug the headphones it, the audio gets rerouted to the headphones and I also get a...
  3. Laptop doesn't recognize headphones when plugged in.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop doesn't recognize headphones when plugged in.: Whenever I plug in my wired headphones into the audio jack, the audio still comes out of the laptop speakers and not the headphones. However when I open the Realtek audio console and then plug the headphones it, the audio gets rerouted to the headphones and I also get a...
  4. Headphones doesn't work when plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headphones doesn't work when plugged in: Headphones doesn't work when plugged in. Need to insert the headphones when the laptop is off and then need start it. This detects the headphones. It is not possible to reboot the system whenever there is a need of a headphone....
  5. Headphones doesn't work when plugged in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Headphones doesn't work when plugged in: Headphones doesn't work when plugged in. Need to insert the headphones when the laptop is off and then need start it. This detects the headphones. It is not possible to reboot the system whenever there is a need of a headphone....
  6. Headphones doesn't work when plugged in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Headphones not switching over when plugged in

Headphones not switching over when plugged in: Hello, I am having problems with my headphones. I'm running windows 10 using boot camp. When I plug in my headphones headphone jack 1 cable they don't automatically switch to play sounds through them. I have to unplug the headphones for my computer to recognize them and...
  8. Usb Headphones plugged in but doesn't play through the headphones

Usb Headphones plugged in but doesn't play through the headphones: I just bought these new headphones and computer is new it is a HP Pavilion Pc 15-eh009wm and a AMD Ryzen 5 core, The headphones doesn't show up to switch it to default when I plug it in I installed new drivers but I'm not sure if I updated them to the correct driver I have...
  9. Microphone doesn't work when the headphones are plugged in

Microphone doesn't work when the headphones are plugged in: When my headphones are not plugged in, my microphone works. I guess this must be related to an option windows asked me about preference after updating my driver, but i cant find anywhere how i can revert that....
  10. Laptop not switching to headphones when I plug them in

Laptop not switching to headphones when I plug them in: Recently I've had an issue with my laptop where if I plug in headphones (ANY headphones) it will continue to play sound through my laptop's speakers. If I reinstall my audio driver with my headphones plugged in, however, the sound will play through my headphones until they...