Windows 10: Windows Domain client updates post Small Business Server

Discus and support Windows Domain client updates post Small Business Server in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; We had a few clients that had a Small Business Server 2011(?). As you know, member computers in a SBS domain refer to the SBS for their updates. We... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MillerConsulting, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Windows Domain client updates post Small Business Server

We had a few clients that had a Small Business Server 2011(?). As you know, member computers in a SBS domain refer to the SBS for their updates. We have migrated these clients to WS2016 and 19 and member computers do not update. It simply fails. I believe this has to do with holdover Group Policies but I will take suggestions.

Generally, the default GPs will be fine. I would like to reset the GP for the Domain to a "default" state. Once done, I will modify the password policies, which are about all the changes that have been made, all other GP will have been from the SBS days.

How can I accomplish this? The pain experienced currently is with updates only, but I see no reason to find them one by one.

:)

MillerConsulting, Jun 12, 2019

2. Mail for Exchange / Small Business Server

It appears that Nokia has overlooked a part of the market with its Mail for Exchange application. Apparently, M4E has difficulty communicating with Exchange if it is part of Small Business Server and a self signed certificate is used.

It would be a good idea if someone at Nokia reads this and cares to put it on a list of 'things we could do - to keep customers happy". Small Business Sever is Microsoft's Server product for up to 75 clients. That is a nice world wide market of small businesses
    that are known to adept quickly, unlike larger organizations.

This lack of "sweating the details" has caused me personally probably 20-30 hours, and judging from the the number of entries other people have also wasted lots of time.

In addition to the time wasted, we are now forced to purchased a commercial server certificate.

More details on the M4E/SBS issue can be found here:
    http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2006/12/07/using-a-nokia-device-to-sync-with-small-business-server-2003.aspx

wavemaster---01, Jun 12, 2019
  3. New Small Business Server

before you look at hardware costs. look at sbs pricing *Cry :cry:

Server Licenses

U.S. Price*

Description

Windows Small Business Server 2008 Standard

$1,089

Includes Small Business Server 2008 Standard Edition. Price also includes 5-pack of Small Business Server 2008 CAL Suite (User or Device, chosen after purchase)

Windows Small Business Server 2008 Premium

$1,899

Includes Small Business Server 2008 Premium Edition. Price also includes 5-pack of Small Business Server 2008 CAL Suite for Premium Users or Devices (User or Device, chosen after purchase)

THRiLL KiLL, Jun 12, 2019
  4. sammy Win User

Windows Domain client updates post Small Business Server

Question:- How to add client to domain from domain controller side?

Hi Guys,

-I have domain called lab.com created on virtual machine Windows Server 2008
    -I have added a client machine Linux machine rhel6 to domain lab.com in /etc/host file
    -I am able to ping DC from linux machine by IP and hostname .
    But from DC I can only ping Linux machine by IP address and not by its hostname "rhel61.lab.com"

I don't want to add linux machine entry to DC's hosts file as it is DC so it should resolve it

But I wish to know what step or doings I am missing from DC side that I am not able to ping linux machine by its hostname.

Please suggest.

Thanks.

sammy, Jun 12, 2019
Thema:

Windows Domain client updates post Small Business Server

1. Windows Domain client updates post Small Business Server - Similar Threads - Domain client updates

2. client/server on vb -joining domains error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    client/server on vb -joining domains error: hi there, I'm installing client/server architecture on the oracle vb. my platform is win 10 home. I would like to install server 2016 and win 10 pro on the vb. I've got both machines customized in settings and running. however when it came to joining domains, win 10 pro...
  3. Client/Server architecture

in Windows 10 Customization
    Client/Server architecture: Hi there, I would like to download /install/run -the Oracle Virtual Box -then WinServer 2016, then client win 10 on VB. My NOTEBOOK profile: TOSHIBA Satellite P750, Processor 2.20 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2670QM, 627.39 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity and Windows 10...
  4. Server busy (switch to or retry)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Server busy (switch to or retry): [ATTACH] Tis pic is not happening all the time. Hi, I have this problem after installing an image which allways worked. After reinstalling my image, installing problems occur everything goes so slow, somethimes it is not working at all, (installing/deinstalling) i get...
  5. Network connection and Business Server TO Client, IP address issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network connection and Business Server TO Client, IP address issues: My windows 10 PC is my Business apps Server whose client is an iMac running the Network version of the Business apps, under Virtual Windows 7Pro. ( Don’t get nervous, been doing WLAN’ed & LAN’ed PCs TO Macs running VIRTUAL WINDOWS since Win95. Consider the Mac, as a PC). The...
  6. Unable to join client to Domain

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to join client to Domain: Hi Im setting up a brand new network and keep getting this error when trying to join computers to the network Please Help??!!! Been at this for 2 weeks still no head way te: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network's...
  7. Backup solutions for Small Business?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup solutions for Small Business?: What types of solutions out there would be a good first step when it comes to protecting the information of a small business? 109999
  8. domain server problems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    domain server problems: I have had windows 10 a couple weeks and if this issue had not starter a week before that I would blame 10. My internet cuts off at random times, sometimes just for seconds and sometimes I have to turn off modem and restart. At first the troubleshooter said dns problems,...
  9. Installation procedure for domain clients

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installation procedure for domain clients: Have been reading other posts relating to this but is still unclear. 1) Am I correct in stating that in order to install the update from the ISO image onto a domain client machine, the client will be logged out of their account and then I would log back in as the local...
  10. National Small Business Week: 8 Windows 10 PCs for small businesses

in Windows 10 News
    National Small Business Week: 8 Windows 10 PCs for small businesses: National Small Business Week is in full-swing; here are some great newer Windows 10 devices that can help Small Businesses be more secure and get more done. This week we recognize National Small Business Week; something that is near and dear to my heart. As someone who...