Windows 10: Windows Domain client updates post Small Business Server

Discus and support Windows Domain client updates post Small Business Server in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; We had a few clients that had a Small Business Server 2011(?). As you know, member computers in a SBS domain refer to the SBS for their updates. We... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MillerConsulting, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Windows Domain client updates post Small Business Server

We had a few clients that had a Small Business Server 2011(?). As you know, member computers in a SBS domain refer to the SBS for their updates. We have migrated these clients to WS2016 and 19 and member computers do not update. It simply fails. I believe this has to do with holdover Group Policies but I will take suggestions.

Generally, the default GPs will be fine. I would like to reset the GP for the Domain to a "default" state. Once done, I will modify the password policies, which are about all the changes that have been made, all other GP will have been from the SBS days.

How can I accomplish this? The pain experienced currently is with updates only, but I see no reason to find them one by one.

:)

MillerConsulting, Jun 12, 2019

2. Mail for Exchange / Small Business Server

It appears that Nokia has overlooked a part of the market with its Mail for Exchange application. Apparently, M4E has difficulty communicating with Exchange if it is part of Small Business Server and a self signed certificate is used.

It would be a good idea if someone at Nokia reads this and cares to put it on a list of 'things we could do - to keep customers happy". Small Business Sever is Microsoft's Server product for up to 75 clients. That is a nice world wide market of small businesses
    that are known to adept quickly, unlike larger organizations.

This lack of "sweating the details" has caused me personally probably 20-30 hours, and judging from the the number of entries other people have also wasted lots of time.

In addition to the time wasted, we are now forced to purchased a commercial server certificate.

More details on the M4E/SBS issue can be found here:
    http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2006/12/07/using-a-nokia-device-to-sync-with-small-business-server-2003.aspx

wavemaster---01, Jun 12, 2019
  3. New Small Business Server

before you look at hardware costs. look at sbs pricing *Cry :cry:

Server Licenses

U.S. Price*

Description

Windows Small Business Server 2008 Standard

$1,089

Includes Small Business Server 2008 Standard Edition. Price also includes 5-pack of Small Business Server 2008 CAL Suite (User or Device, chosen after purchase)

Windows Small Business Server 2008 Premium

$1,899

Includes Small Business Server 2008 Premium Edition. Price also includes 5-pack of Small Business Server 2008 CAL Suite for Premium Users or Devices (User or Device, chosen after purchase)

THRiLL KiLL, Jun 12, 2019
  4. sammy Win User

Windows Domain client updates post Small Business Server

Question:- How to add client to domain from domain controller side?

Hi Guys,

-I have domain called lab.com created on virtual machine Windows Server 2008
    -I have added a client machine Linux machine rhel6 to domain lab.com in /etc/host file
    -I am able to ping DC from linux machine by IP and hostname .
    But from DC I can only ping Linux machine by IP address and not by its hostname "rhel61.lab.com"

I don't want to add linux machine entry to DC's hosts file as it is DC so it should resolve it

But I wish to know what step or doings I am missing from DC side that I am not able to ping linux machine by its hostname.

Please suggest.

Thanks.

sammy, Jun 12, 2019
Thema:

Windows Domain client updates post Small Business Server

1. Windows Domain client updates post Small Business Server - Similar Threads - Domain client updates

2. Windows for small business

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows for small business: Dear Microsoft,Is there a way to purchase Windows keys for small business instead of purchasing to individuals using Azure portal for exampleReply https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-for-small-business/a22388f0-bcbf-4629-b45c-d67223c6bd6f
  3. Windows for small business

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows for small business: Dear Microsoft,Is there a way to purchase Windows keys for small business instead of purchasing to individuals using Azure portal for exampleReply https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-for-small-business/a22388f0-bcbf-4629-b45c-d67223c6bd6f
  4. Windows for Small Business

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows for Small Business: Hi everyone, need your help! I'm working for a small company and have to get Windows 10 for 10 PCs on behalf of our cmpany. 1. Any idea how to do this? 2. Do I buy licenses separately for each PC? Also, heard about Windows 365, but not sure if it covers just Windows or only...
  5. Windows for Small Business

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows for Small Business: Hi everyone, need your help! I'm working for a small company and have to get Windows 10 for 10 PCs on behalf of our cmpany. 1. Any idea how to do this? 2. Do I buy licenses separately for each PC? Also, heard about Windows 365, but not sure if it covers just Windows or only...
  6. Windows for Small Business

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Client cannot join domain domain Windows Server 2008 R2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Client cannot join domain domain Windows Server 2008 R2: Hello Team,My customer have active directory on windows server 2008 R2- His windows server shutdown by electric power off- After Electric on then he start windows active directory on windows server 2008 R2- Normal the active directory - But new client unable to join the...
  8. Domain client's OpenSSH Server install is stuck and then fails

in Windows 10 Customization
    Domain client's OpenSSH Server install is stuck and then fails: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Machine is on a domain, thats how it gets logged in. Doesn't that imply that it knows where the WSUS is? Is there another reason? Theres a workaround on github that I'd rather not use. Does anyway know how to make this go?...
  9. Client losing connectivity to domain server share

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Client losing connectivity to domain server share: I have strange issue. There is a small domain running SBS 2003 on the server and Windows 10 Pro on all the clients. All of the client systems have a mapped network drive that is mapped to a shared folder on the server. One of the client machines keeps losing access to the...
  10. client/server on vb -joining domains error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    client/server on vb -joining domains error: hi there, I'm installing client/server architecture on the oracle vb. my platform is win 10 home. I would like to install server 2016 and win 10 pro on the vb. I've got both machines customized in settings and running. however when it came to joining domains, win 10 pro...