Windows 10: Windows downloads updates even though it is on a metered WiFi

Discus and support Windows downloads updates even though it is on a metered WiFi in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I still receive sporadic updates in my Windows 10 desptie that all my WiFi connections are marked as metered. In particular, on 27/07 the system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by IgnatFialkovskiy, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Windows downloads updates even though it is on a metered WiFi

I still receive sporadic updates in my Windows 10 desptie that all my WiFi connections are marked as metered.

In particular, on 27/07 the system downloaded KB4565483 while I was connected to my cellphone hotspot clearly marked `metered` since long ago. It incurred me the traffic fees from my mobile operator.

in Win Updates > Advanced Options the option to download over metered connections is Off!

What is going? how on earth can I finally stop Windows updating itself without my explicit consent?

Many thanks in advance,

:)

IgnatFialkovskiy, Jul 29, 2020
  2. Try3 Win User

New Wifi default to metered

Chris,

Yes, it is a Registry entry. See the procedure in my post #74 in another TenForums thread. {in case it is of interest, my post #73 in that thread lists the steps I take to avoid all automatic Windows updates}

By making that change, every new WiFi network will, by default, be set as metered. You will still be able to change that back to non-metered for a specific WiFi network in the normal manner.

Denis

3. R-T-B Win User
    Windows 10 Creators Update Might Force Updates Even on Metered Connections

A wording change in the latest build of the upcoming Creators Update for Windows 10 has users on metered connections worried. In previous Microsoft Insider's builds of the Creators Update, the section of the license agreement pertaining to automatic updates said "updates will be downloaded and installed automatically, except over metered connections (where charges may apply)."

In this latest build, the wording has been changed to a more worrisome version implying updating may still happen for important updates: "We'll automatically download and install updates, except on metered connections (where charges may apply). In that case, we'll automatically download only those updates required to keep Windows running smoothly."

Windows downloads updates even though it is on a metered WiFi 18da3be5bc06_thm.jpg

Obviously, this implies critical updates and such may still be pulled from a metered connection without prior user consent. Considering many "critical updates" from Microsoft today come in the form of "Patch Tuesday" rollups often nearing a gig, this could get expensive on a metered connection where users pay by the gigabyte or worse.

Source: HotHardware

R-T-B, Jul 29, 2020
  4. lvgandhi Win User

Windows downloads updates even though it is on a metered WiFi

Update window hangs with metered wifi

I would like to know what is flawed update?
    Answers to your questions.
    I have windows 64bit Home edition with version 15063.483
    It is daily update.
    After running the provided bat, update list is as follows.

Windows downloads updates even though it is on a metered WiFi [​IMG]

I don't have any antivirus. I have Malwarebytes run periodically, not started with windows.
    Yes I have C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder
    Nobody else have access to my laptop.
    When wifi is metered, speed of checking for update or download is slowed even for daily update and hangs. With same wifi, ifI remove metered, speed goes normal.

lvgandhi, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

Windows downloads updates even though it is on a metered WiFi

1. Windows downloads updates even though it is on a metered WiFi - Similar Threads - downloads updates though

2. download updates over metered connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    download updates over metered connection: hi,Yesterday, I noticed that when checking for updates and when there are updates appearing, it states something like downloading updates over metered connection. Yet, when I checked under advance options, the option to turn on metered connection is not on. How to get the...
  3. Windows is downloading updates over a metered network (without asking for permission) even...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows is downloading updates over a metered network (without asking for permission) even...: I'm currently running Windows 10 version 2004 on a ThinkPad and Windows just started downloading a feature update out of the blue even though i'm on metered network on a limited data plan. Please, how do i stop this? submitted by /u/iMorphed [link] [comments]...
  4. Windows 10 Update Downloads Even Though in Pause

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update Downloads Even Though in Pause: Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 OS Build 18362.592 ASUS GL552VW laptop Windows 10 update is downloading some updates even though in pause. Why? ***** Advanced Update Options ***** Pause updates Temporarily pause updates from being installed on this device for up to...
  5. METERED WIFI

in Windows 10 Customization
    METERED WIFI: I mistakenly metered my WIFI and want to reverse it. How do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/metered-wifi/a6a8f278-bf63-4af4-8edf-2679d54b77fe
  6. Metered wifi

in Windows 10 Customization
    Metered wifi: I cannot complete downloads because metered wifi is on, this I think needs to be changed and as far as I can make out I have to change form Administrator acc to user acc, but I can't find how to do that....
  7. Windows updates even with metered connection set

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows updates even with metered connection set: I've been able previously to avoid Windows forced updates at inopportune times on my Windows 10 home by setting my internet connection to metered, by setting: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost to a value of 2. That...
  8. Windows updates even with metered conection set

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows updates even with metered conection set: I've been able previously to avoid Windows forced updates at inopportune times on my Windows 10 home by setting my internet connection to metered, by setting: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost to a value of 2. That...
  9. Update window hangs with metered wifi

Update window hangs with metered wifi: When I click check for updates with metered wifi, it hangs for last one day. [img] How to go about it. It happens frequently. 90071
  10. Windows 10 -1607 and update in metered wifi

Windows 10 -1607 and update in metered wifi: Previously in metered connection wifi, if update is selected, it used to shown warning and then update. In 1607, update just hangs in metered wifi, even after selecting and clicking the option. Any one faced this? Any solutions? 59730