Windows 10: Windows' Drive Error Checking Deleted My Linux Files

Discus and support Windows' Drive Error Checking Deleted My Linux Files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, "dear" Microsoft, I am running Windows 10 on a ProBook 4530s machine and today, after I plugged my external drive in, I was greeted with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Zaid Rynes, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Windows' Drive Error Checking Deleted My Linux Files

Hello, "dear" Microsoft,

I am running Windows 10 on a ProBook 4530s machine and today, after I plugged my external drive in, I was greeted with a wonderful "There's a problem with this drive. Scan the drive now and fix it." message, to which I said "Fine! Why not?". After it finished "fixing" my drive (that worked and works without any issues), I found myself missing some folders and files created in Linux. Unlike Windows, Linux operating systems (Ubuntu in my case) allow the user to name files using characters such as "(")", "?", ">", "|" or "*". If you have a folder created in Linux with this name: "<Whatever>", Windows is going to see that folder as corrupt or inaccessible. Well, after running the s**tty Drive Error Checking, I saw myself WITHOUT those folders and files that had names containing "special" characters.

Of course, when I connect the drive, I am still greeted with the same message, and last time, it prompted me to restart my computer in order to fix errors on the drive... What on earth does "fixing" an EXTERNAL drive have to do with restarting an ENTIRE computer? Can't you just fix it while it's on? It's not like I'm running the OS from that drive; it's just a storage drive, not a system one!

Do I really have to use two goddamn separate drives, one for Linux and one for Windows to prevent such things? This is frustrating!

I also must mention that, before Windows got noisy about my drive having any issues, I connected it to a Linux environment, to transfer some data, and those files containing "forbidden" characters worked PERFECTLY FINE in Linux - nothing corrupt about them at all.

This is so embarrassing, Microsoft! Why can't you just once in your life do a thing the damn RIGHT WAY? I want my files back.

:)

Zaid Rynes, Feb 16, 2019
  2. newtekie1 Win User

CD drive error

1) Close all open programs
    2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter
    3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Control
    Class
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

UpperFilters
    LowerFilters
    UpperFilters.bak
    LowerFilters.bak
    5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete
    6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor
    7) Reboot your computer
    8) Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone.

And it likely has something to do with the emulated drive you have listed there.

newtekie1, Feb 16, 2019
  3. keakar Win User
    Help !!! delete temporary internet files options are corrupted and freezing

drive checks out fine and I did run ccleaner, but windows is still broken

im not saying I have a "too many temporary files I cant delete issue" (maybe i do) but that's of secondary to the problem at hand which is that the delete function for them is non-functional in windows using disk cleaner or internet options

keakar, Feb 16, 2019
  4. topgundcp Win User

Windows' Drive Error Checking Deleted My Linux Files

Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Feb 16, 2019
Thema:

Windows' Drive Error Checking Deleted My Linux Files

1. Windows' Drive Error Checking Deleted My Linux Files - Similar Threads - Windows' Drive Error

2. Win 10 delete my linux

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 delete my linux: You stupid ****!! From NOW ON I will never ever pay for your filthy products.. You made windows remove boot partitions from linux.. **** Ill kill Bill Gates if I see that old retard.. I reinstalled linux on my harddrive allready like 10 **** times.. **** OFF retards!! Your...
  3. Win 10 delete my linux

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 delete my linux: You stupid ****!! From NOW ON I will never ever pay for your filthy products.. You made windows remove boot partitions from linux.. **** Ill kill Bill Gates if I see that old retard.. I reinstalled linux on my harddrive allready like 10 **** times.. **** OFF retards!! Your...
  4. Win 10 delete my linux

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. C drive Error checking

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive Error checking: I'm having an issue with my C drive where on boot windows will do a scan and repair on the drive. This happens every time on startup no matter what.This started after I completely reset my pc through windows settings.I'm not sure what's wrong but I've tried a couple thing...
  6. Windows Linux Subsystem 2 deleting my files on restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Linux Subsystem 2 deleting my files on restart: So I have been trying to use WSL2 for development. At first I noticed everything ran super slow. So I was told that I should be mounting my projects under `/mnt/wsl/`. This improved performance but now my projects just get deleted on restart. Anyone know what the correct...
  7. Linux deleted boot file of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Linux deleted boot file of Windows 10: Hey Guys! I really need your help. So, I've installed Kali Linux on my Acer Aspire V17 nitro and it ran perfectly. Then i accidentely deleted the boot file from Windows 10!!! Is there a way to get it back - I mean for free??? GRUB - the DUAL-BOOT-system doesn't show the...
  8. Checking hard drive for errors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Checking hard drive for errors: Hello, I have a 3 yr old Samsung laptop which I thought was behaving properly. Today, Outlook froze and then as I tried to open other programs, each thing froze as well. I left it alone and things eventually sorted themselves out and the computer became functional again....
  9. Error check drive has damaged my Windows Instalation

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Error check drive has damaged my Windows Instalation: Hello Guys, Just when I was happy with my installation I error checked my main C: drive with is a Samsung SSD, Windows reported that it had found some errors and it needed to be rebooted to correct them. I rebooted the PC and the check disk did it's repairs and it booted...
  10. Drive Error Checking in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Drive Error Checking in Windows 10: How to: Drive Error Checking in Windows 10 How to Check a Drive for Errors in Windows 10 [img] Information Checking your drives for errors every once in a while can help fix some performance issues. Drive errors can usually be caused by bad sectors, improper...