Windows 10: Windows drops internet when idle

Discus and support Windows drops internet when idle in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Recently, my laptop drops internet connection if idle for more than a few minutes. In the notification area internet still shows as connected, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by wrkeen, Feb 15, 2020.

1. wrkeen Win User

Windows drops internet when idle

Recently, my laptop drops internet connection if idle for more than a few minutes.

In the notification area internet still shows as connected, but Microsoft Edge will not open pages show no internet message and extensions are dropped.

All I have to do to "reconnect" is to restart the laptop.

This Dell laptop connects wirelessly to WiFi and Ethernet.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Could there be a setting set wrong or some sort of WiFi/Ethernet conflict or adapter problem?

:)

wrkeen, Feb 15, 2020
  2. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Feb 15, 2020
  3. ps957 Win User
    After upgrading to windows 10, internet connectivity drops frequently for some applications, but not all

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. My answers are interleaved with your questions.

• In which browser are you facing this issue e.g. Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer?
    Multiple browsers: Chrome, Explorer, Firefox

• Do you get any error message?
      • In Chrome, I get "ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE" as the error message
    • Have you installed all pending Windows updates?
      • Yes. It is continuously getting updated.
    • Do you face connection fluctuation in Ethernet connection?
      • No. The internet connection is a solid 40Mb downlink. The same problem occurs when I'm hooked to a different internet service provider.
    • Is the issue specific to any particular website?
      • No, it occurs when I'm accessing multiple web sites. It is not related to any web site.

I suggest you to try connecting to Ethernet connection and check if face same issue.

The problem occurs when I'm using wired ethernet, an internal wifi card, or an external wifi usb dongle.

Also install all pending Windows updates I.

I just checked it . It is up to date.

Further you can refer the link below and follow the troubleshooting steps suggested.

I'm not going to spend time on these other steps, since as I mentioned it occurs on multiple browsers, and it is not tied to Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge, unless you give me a good reason to do so.

Thank you.

ps957, Feb 15, 2020
  4. Geethu B Win User

unable to drag and drop files into website on Internet Explorer 11

Hi Cristy,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you are unable to drag and drop files into website on Internet Explorer 11.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

• Incorrect Internet Explorer settings.

• Some browser add-ons.
    Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

I suggest you to disable add-ons and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/manage-add-ons#ie=ie-11

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to reset Internet Explorer settings and check if it helps.

Change or reset Internet Explorer settings

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/reset-ie-settings#ie=ie-11

Disclaimer: Reset Internet Explorer to its default configuration. This step will also disable any add-ons, plug-ins, or toolbars that are installed. Although this solution is quick, it also means that, if you want to use any of those add-ons
    in the future, they must be reinstalled.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Feb 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows drops internet when idle - Similar Threads - drops internet idle

2. Internet drop outs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet drop outs: For about 3 weeks Internet has repeatedly dropped out. Pages won't load time out or load abnormally slowly Get messages like " the System encountered a problem" or " The site can't be reached" or "Your connection was interrupted" Checked Event Viewer found repeated ERROR...
  3. Internet Drops

Internet Drops: Hello, I am currently at a small village far from my home town, and have to use mobile data. But my internet randomly drops. All I know is that my laptop's the problem, not my phone. Since the internet never works again unless I disconnect and reconnect from my mobile...
  4. Fps drops when idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fps drops when idle: When I'm idle with keyboard and mouse playing a game, after a minute, the fps drops significantly from 60 to 15 for no reason.I have tried monitoring it with the task manager but for some reason this problem goes away when I leave the task manager open in the background.In...
  5. Windows 10 Drops Internet

Windows 10 Drops Internet: On my windows 10 desktop internet wifi and ethernet suddenly started dropping 3 to 5 minutes after startup, every time. Wednesday i used internet for an extended period of time with no issues. Then after i downloaded TurboTax the desktop needed to restart so i restarted it....
  6. Wifi disconnects when internet connection drops

Wifi disconnects when internet connection drops: Hi I have a Samsung Note 9 which I use as a mobile hotspot When I connect my Surface Pro 6 to the wifi it works absolutely fine. I mostly use it on the train. When the train goes through a long tunnel or area with no signal, the internet connection is lost. Windows senses...
  7. Internet connection drops when using screensaver

Internet connection drops when using screensaver: Since i installed windows 10 pro (clean install), every time my screensaver pops up after being idle for 10min, when i get back to the desktop my internet (wired) dropped and has to reconnect, this didnt occur on windows 7. In eventviewer i get this error: "Your...
  8. Windows 10 Internet Dropping

Windows 10 Internet Dropping: Hello. I have been having persisting issues with my internet connection ever since I installed windows 10. On my old PC I had no problems and on this one everything was fine. I installed windows 10 back in august 2015 and I have had a problem ever since. I use a smart TV as a...
  9. Internet Drops

Internet Drops: During the day, the internet is stable and works fine. I can browse and do everything normally. But in the evening the internet drops and it won't reconnect. I tried restarting my PC and resetting the router but nothing seems to work. A solution would be helpful! 57239
  10. Internet dropping

in Windows 10 Support
    Internet dropping: I don't know if this is a 10 problem or computer problem. My internet will drop every few hours while I am using it. I originally thought it was my cable provider, and most of the time I rebooted my modem, and this seemed to correct the problem. Then I just rebooted the...