Windows 10: Windows Dual boot issue.

Discus and support Windows Dual boot issue. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My windows 7 is partitioned as F:\ ( out side windows ) when it should be C:\. This stops me from booting into it. My windows 10 WAS on F:\(outside... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by POPLOPUK, Jul 22, 2017.

1. POPLOPUK Win User

Windows Dual boot issue.

My windows 7 is partitioned as F:\ ( out side windows ) when it should be C:\. This stops me from booting into it. My windows 10 WAS on F:\(outside windows) and it switches to C:\ when you boot it up but now it is on C:\ (outside windows).

Is there a way to fix it?

Edit : I tried safe mode and startup repair in windows 7 but nothing happens. I even tried setting windows 7 as the boot loader and still nothing. Just restarts after the spinning logo.

:)

POPLOPUK, Jul 22, 2017

2. Dual Boot Issue

If that's the Windows Boot Menu then those extra listings should not appear and may have been forced by deleting the WinRE Recovery partition. Anything on that menu should also be able to be set or hidden in mscsonfig>Boot tab or if not there on

EasyBCD (click Download - no Name or Email required)
    Edit OS Menu tab. If not there then they are anomalous and I'd ignore them. Note that neither location actually deletes these devices themselves but only their listing on the boot menu.

I'd leave the 450mb alone for now since even if you use a tool like Partition Wizard which can borrow empty space from anywhere on the hard drive, this would move the EFI System partition and hidden MSR partition (which would show up if there in PW) and
    risk no-boot situation until repaired.

When ready to do a
    Clean Install Windows 10
    be sure to delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space so that it recreates the Recovery partition where is stored the onboard WinRE repair console. Until then use the Windows 10 bootable media or Recovery Drive for booted
    repairs.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jul 22, 2017
  3. Dual Boot Issue

Hi I just checked my bios settings and booted back into windows 10 witch was a lot faster.

It only seems to take 3 minutes to load windows 10 after using windows 8.1

Here are my current bios settings...

Boot options.

secure boot control - disabled

load legacy oprom - enabled

keyboard errors - report

usb boot support - enabled

boot menu security - disabled

boot mode - UEFI (the other option is Legacy)

OllyBongo1, Jul 22, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows Dual boot issue.

Whichever Windows you are booted into gets C:. The other Windows partition gets whatever drive letter you assign to it. So, if booted into Windows 10, Windows 10 gets C: and Windows 7 will have F: (ONLY while booted into Windows 10). Then if you boot into Windows 7, it gets C: and Windows 10 can have F: (ONLY while booted into Windows 7).

The drive letter that the non-booted Windows gets is whatever you assign to it in disk management and has absolutely no bearing on booting that other Windows because as soon as you boot into that other Windows, it is going to get C:.

NavyLCDR, Jul 22, 2017
  5. POPLOPUK Win User
    Tested and you are right. Windows 7 just seems to restart when the animation swirl starts. Is there a way to fix this. Do I need to go to 7forums?c

POPLOPUK, Jul 22, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Are you saying that you don't get a dual boot menu? It only boots into Windows 7 and gives you no choices but just boots directly into Windows 7?

Open an elevated Command Prompt ("run as administrator" command prompt), and run:

bcdboot F:\Windows

The path in red will be to the non-booted Windows you want to add to the boot menu. It might not be F:, it will be whatever drive letter you have assigned to it.

Also, when dual booting with Windows 7, it helps to turn off fast startup when running Windows 10:
    Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

NavyLCDR, Jul 22, 2017
  7. POPLOPUK Win User
    I do have it. It just seems to crash when booting into windows 7. I can't even boot into safe mode without it restarting on the loading system files bit. I tried booting with logging enabled but it seems that it doesn't save the log file.

POPLOPUK, Jul 22, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows Dual boot issue.

Sounds like you need to re-install the Windows 7.

NavyLCDR, Jul 22, 2017
  9. POPLOPUK Win User
    Will this remove windows 10 or make windows 10 unusable?

POPLOPUK, Jul 22, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    No. You might just have to run the BCDBOOT command shown above to re-establish dual booting.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows Dual boot issue.

1. Windows Dual boot issue. - Similar Threads - Dual boot issue

2. Windows dual-boot issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows dual-boot issue: I have an Acer Nitro 5 notebook with two SSDs. I have dual boot configured to either boot to My Windows 10 Pro drive, or my Studio drive, which is also Windows 10. On first boot, when I start up the notebook after it has been off for a while, it bypasses the dual boot and...
  3. Windows dual-boot issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows dual-boot issue: I have an Acer Nitro 5 notebook with two SSDs. I have dual boot configured to either boot to My Windows 10 Pro drive, or my Studio drive, which is also Windows 10. On first boot, when I start up the notebook after it has been off for a while, it bypasses the dual boot and...
  4. Windows dual-boot issue

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Old dual boot issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Old dual boot issue: So I was dual booting Windows 7 and Windows 10 for a while until I upgraded my PC components and could no longer get a mouse and keyboard to work on Windows 7. Eventually I deleted the Windows 7 install and formatted the drive, but I still have to choose an operating system...
  6. Issue in booting with Dual Boot in windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issue in booting with Dual Boot in windows 10: Hello. I had dual booted my Dell laptop which came with preinstalled Windows 10. I had dual booted with Ubuntu 18.04 by creating a partition on the disk. To remove this dual boot, i.e. I only wanted to keep Windows 10, I formatted the disk, where Ubuntu was stored. But, now...
  7. Dual Boot Issue

Dual Boot Issue: Hello there, I am having a issue with dual boot in my laptop.I have Ubuntu 18.04 and Windows 10 installed in my system.However,as the laptop starts system boots directly to Windows 10 without showing Grub Menu.Hence I cannot boot to Ubuntu anymore.I tried...
  8. Dual booting issue

Dual booting issue: I installed two OS on my PC: Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10. Ubuntu runs as a default and Windows 10 as a second OS. I prefer Ubuntu and always use it but occasionally I need some apps that work on Windows 10. I used to select the OS during the boot up process. But I had some...
  9. dual boot issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    dual boot issue: I have a dual boot with two SSD. On both are W10 systems, let's say W10 and W10 test. Till yesterday it worked as follows: booting up bios; Bios (or DOS?) screen in which to select which OS. After selection immediately the selected OS system started. Today I updated W10 test...
  10. Dual Boot Issues

Dual Boot Issues: I'm in a Networking Class and my Teacher had the wonderful idea of dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 10 Pro. Things were okay until last night when I booted my machine I'm stuck in the grub rescue. Now at some point I didn't actually uninstall Linux but deleted the partition. I...