Windows 10: Windows Edge Opens Hundreds of Tabs

Discus and support Windows Edge Opens Hundreds of Tabs in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Please help. no one has an answer. Windows Edge will, totally at random, open up hundreds of tabs going to Microsoft Edge Help. Multiple virus scans... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by akalter001, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Windows Edge Opens Hundreds of Tabs

Please help. no one has an answer. Windows Edge will, totally at random, open up hundreds of tabs going to Microsoft Edge Help.
    Multiple virus scans and malware found nothing. Resetting Edge did not work. Resetting Window 10 did not work.

REINTALLING windows 10 from a DVD did not work. I am not sure if we reformatted the HD.

Any ideas?

I stopped using Edge and only use IE now but Edge will open by itself.

:)

akalter001, Jul 30, 2017

2. Unwanted redirect to Help functions

I am running updated Windows 10 as of 3/26/18.

In Edge and in IE as soon as I type a second letter into the URL field, I am redirected to a help screen such as "Tips and Tricks for Edge" or "Help for Internet Explorer." This even happened in MSWord - when I typed a character into the document password
    field, I was redirected to Word Help screen.

In the Edge redirects, the redirect repeats and hundreds of tabs are opened to "Tips and Tricks."

How can I fix this?

DanJohnson3, Jul 30, 2017
  3. microsoft Edge browser keeps saying that websites are not responding

I wanted to add to pharmhouse on the Windows 10 MS Edge issue that is happening with my system also. MS Edge keeps saying "not responding" then if I have (2) or more tabs open, Edge will close a tab on it's own and immediately re-open that same website
    it closed, but it will open Edge again in a new window, not on a tab in the MS Edge window I already have open?

Terry G.Ellegood, Jul 30, 2017
  4. Windows Edge Opens Hundreds of Tabs

Hi akalter001. Welcome to the TenForums @akalter001

I think I would get a fresh copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft and I would ensure I deleted all partitions on HDD before proceeding with install. See tutorial. Be sure to back up your data partition(s) should you have them.

Clean Install Windows 10

I would also power off router and power on.

Test without installing any programs or your data.

If after doing this, and the problem persists, in my opinion I would check other devices on LAN and even Router, use manual to hard reset it. If it belongs to telco maybe they would assist. Know password and settings if you reset.

A fresh copy of windows on a wiped device should not invoke hundreds of tabs.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 31, 2017
  5. I did a full windows 10 reinstall with a Microsoft support person's assistance but he did not delete all of the partitions.
    I will also try to figure out how to reset my router.

Thanks.

akalter001, Jul 31, 2017
  6. I doubt that all the reinstalls will help, because we are getting exactly the same problem, and the computer is only a few weeks old. Hundreds of instances of Edge showed in the Task Manager when I looked there to see why the computer was held up. When I returned to Edge, all the tabs became visible, all pointed to the same page of Microsoft Windows tips. It's a bug, probably generated by some failure in an ad window that keeps trying to reload and triggering the automatic opening of a 'help' page. Good luck, sorry you had to do all that re-installing and stuff, but I bet it makes no difference.
    Jack

auntiejack56, Aug 1, 2017
  7. Thanks Jack for letting me know I am not alone. I couldn't find anyone else with this same problem searching the internet. Microsoft Support is terrible. They read from a script but don't really understand. I sometimes also have an Outlook email help window that opens when reading my email that can't be closed. Since I stopped using Edge and shut off "as much as I could" of Cortana the problem has not reoccurred much but that is not a complete fix.

Please let me know if you find a fix. I did reset my router last night and may reinstall windows this weekend.

akalter001, Aug 1, 2017
  8. Windows Edge Opens Hundreds of Tabs

Interesting that an ad can cause such havoc and it would be impacting lots of users. We need ads to pay for things it just so many.

I use Chrome and I like the fact I can see bookmarks across all my platforms. (Phone, tablets, Mac)

The clean install tutorial should guide you.

Caledon Ken, Aug 1, 2017
  9. akalter,

There are other people having this problem too, and a mixture of advice with no clear solution.

I like this one because you don't have to do a bunch of reinstalls etc to try it out: The multiple tabs may be opening because Edge is trying to recover where it was before it crashed or unexpectedly closed by Task Manager. Go to the Menu in upper-R and click Settings at bottom, then make sure 'Open Edge with' is set to start page only and 'Open new tabs with' is set to blank page. Then, near bottom, click 'Advanced Settings' button and set specific page to open as 'Home' page. Review settings on both these Settings columns to insure proper preferences and close. Re-open to test.

The above comment is here: Ms Edge Browser connects and opens 10s tabs until system freeze

Jack

auntiejack56, Aug 2, 2017
  10. Thanks. I will try that before I do another Windows 10 reinstall. IF anyone has a solution please let me know. Now Internet Explorer just opened 61 tabs before I could kill it. All went to IE Help Webpage. Same problem as with Edge. I am going to call Microsoft Tech Support Again.

akalter001, Aug 2, 2017
  11. Solved, I hope.
    I got Microsoft Help on the line and another 1.5 hours on the phone with the Philippines and I think the problem is fixed. A good version of Windows 10 was downloaded and burned onto a DVD. Then it was reloaded on my computer. I think when I created a bootable DVD myself I was creating a compromised disk and reloading windows just reloaded the problem. Having a good version of Windows downloaded seems to have fixed the problem. Only time will tell.
    If 100s of help tabs start popping up again I was told by a few people to change my keyboard as a test but for now the problem is solved.

akalter001, Aug 8, 2017
  12. Great, glad to hear that persistence works! I was keeping an eye on our problem but it didn't resurface for us. Anyway, we ultimately fled the whole scene by embracing Chrome.

auntiejack56, Aug 8, 2017
  13. Windows Edge Opens Hundreds of Tabs

Great. The fresh copy of Win 10 was my first suggestion in posting #2.

Glad it worked and thanks for sharing.

Caledon Ken, Aug 8, 2017
  14. Not Fixed But Now Fixed. So 8 days after a clean Windows install the same IE and Edge help screens started opening again. A friend said that pressing F1 on the keyboard opens the help screens and suggested changing my keyboard. I put a new keyboard on and connected my suspect keyboard to my new Windows 10 office computer. 2 days later my office computer started doing the same thing as my home computer. Keyboard thrown in dumpster and no further problems.

akalter001, Aug 15, 2017
  15. Congrats! Hope it's the last you see of it!
    Jack

auntiejack56, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows Edge Opens Hundreds of Tabs

1. Windows Edge Opens Hundreds of Tabs - Similar Threads - Edge Opens Hundreds

2. I lost hundreds of tabs in Edge after resetting Windows, any way to recover?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I lost hundreds of tabs in Edge after resetting Windows, any way to recover?: My PC had a strange error that didn't allow me to restore or start windows in safe mode, so I had to reset choosing the option to keep my files but Edge and everything on it was completely wiped.I had the "Tab Session Manager which saves the entire session in files separate...
  3. I lost hundreds of tabs in Edge after resetting Windows, any way to recover?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I lost hundreds of tabs in Edge after resetting Windows, any way to recover?: My PC had a strange error that didn't allow me to restore or start windows in safe mode, so I had to reset choosing the option to keep my files but Edge and everything on it was completely wiped.I had the "Tab Session Manager which saves the entire session in files separate...
  4. Google opening tabs in Edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Google opening tabs in Edge: I use Microsoft Edge & lately Google has been opening search tabs on it's own. It's like it is on a timer. I've ended up with as many as 8 new tabs at one point before I would close them. When I'm in the middle of something & it decides it's time to open a new tab it...
  5. Windows 10 Edge opens dozens of tabs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Edge opens dozens of tabs: I decided to try out Windows 10 Edge. There is a lot about it that I like. However, every time I click on any link, it opens in a new tab. This quickly results in large numbers of tabs being open making Edge very crowded and clunky to use. I looked through all the settings...
  6. Opening tabs on edge on startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Opening tabs on edge on startup: For online schooling, I was wondering if there is a way to open Microsoft edge on start-up, and have it set to open these 3 specific tabs I always need every single day?...
  7. new tab open in new edge

in Browsers and Email
    new tab open in new edge: sometimes when i login after sleep a new tab opens in new edge by itself it is different everytime 158737
  8. Opening edge with set tab

in Browsers and Email
    Opening edge with set tab: I am running Edge Chromium at the moment and when I close down it shuts all opens tabs - I don't have a problem with that but what I would like it for me to open Edge so that Outlook.com mail opens automatically in the first tab on start up or closing all tabs and selecting...
  9. Edge always opens with old tabs

in Browsers and Email
    Edge always opens with old tabs: Must of happened after the last update, maybe. I'll have 2 or 3 tabs open. I red X and get the "Do you want to close all tabs?" Close all and everything closes. Reopen Edge and I have the same tabs open. I've restored Edge to defaults. In "Open Microsoft Edge with" I have:...
  10. Edge opens with old tabs

in Windows 10 Support
    Edge opens with old tabs: Must of happened after the last update, maybe. I'll have 2 or 3 tabs open. I red X and get the "Do you want to close all tabs?" Close all and everything closes. Reopen Edge and I have the same tabs open. I've restored Edge to defaults. In "Open Microsoft Edge with" I have:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hundreds of browser tabs open in windows 10

2. microsoft edge is opening opening hundereds of tabs

3. hundreds of help tabs opening

4. lots of tabs just opened in edge,
  5. edge opens hundreds of tabs,
  6. how to clear hundreds of tabs opened in edge