Windows 10: Windows error popup for "Windows cannot access the specified file..."

Discus and support Windows error popup for "Windows cannot access the specified file..." in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; For a while now I have randomly gotten a popup about an error. It can occur about once or twice a day at anytime, even when I'm not doing anything. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Allen42B, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Allen42B Win User

Windows error popup for "Windows cannot access the specified file..."

For a while now I have randomly gotten a popup about an error. It can occur about once or twice a day at anytime, even when I'm not doing anything. It usually goes away on its own after a minute or two:

Windows error popup for "Windows cannot access the specified file..." 549ee2f7-7c94-42c5-91e0-2455ed65e2e7?upload=true.png

I have tried to follow the file path, but reach a dead end at the WindowsApps file where it says I do not have permission to access it. I have tried to access the security tab in the folder properties, but almost everything is grayed out:

Windows error popup for "Windows cannot access the specified file..." 17745e2c-fe0d-4196-ad17-b306f064e1f5?upload=true.png

Are there any known methods to either stop that popup, or give myself the security clearance to get rid of whatever is causing it? I should note I'm using dual hard drives with the OS on C: and my main program and data storage on D:

Thank you for your help.

:)

Allen42B, Nov 30, 2018

2. cannot access file/or permissions

I have a file i need to run on Windows 7 Home Premium. I get the error message saying "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

So I right click and choose Properties to access the permissions but I cannot. In the Security tab I get a message saying, " You do not have permission to view or edit this objects permission settings.".

Next I boot into the Windows 7 Hidden Administrator Mode - and even with this I get all the same error messages.

Please help me as I really need to run This file.

John Phoenix, Nov 30, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 30, 2018
  4. Windows error popup for "Windows cannot access the specified file..."

windows cannot access the specified device path or file

Hello Basha,

This issue can occur if any of the following scenarios exist on your PC:

• You do not have permissions to the file or the file location.
    • The file is on a location that is not currently accessible like a network location or an external drive that is not currently connected to the PC.
    • The file has been moved or deleted.
    • The file or shortcut is corrupt.
    • The file may be blocked by Windows.
    • Your antivirus software may be blocking the file.

For us to better assist you, we'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    • Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    • Click OK.
    • Are you using any 3rd-party antivirus software?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Meanwhile, let's troubleshoot the issue by performing the steps below:

Method 1: Check the permission of the file or folder

Permissions are rules associated with files that determine if you can access the file and what you can do with it. To check the permission of the file or folder, follow these steps:

• Right-click the file or folder, and then select Properties.
    • Select the Security tab.
    • Under Group or User names, click your name to see the permissions you have. (The screen shot for this step is listed below).
    • Select Edit, and then select to check the check boxes for the permissions that you need, and then select OK. (The screen shot for this step is listed below).

Method 2: Check the file location

You might get this error if the shortcut or installation is attempting to access a location that is not currently available such as a networked or a removable drive. Check the path of the file that Windows cannot access and make sure that the location is
    accessible. (The screen shot for this step is listed below).

Windows error popup for "Windows cannot access the specified file..." a7248d5a-f744-4993-b865-f9890a7f41dc.png

Method 3: Recreate the shortcut to check for corruption

You can also receive this error if the shortcut or other file type has become corrupt. You can check for corruption in shortcuts by recreating the shortcut. To do this, see

Create or delete a shortcut.

If an application or other type of file is corrupt it may be necessary to repair the application to resolve the issue.

We look forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Nov 30, 2018
Thema:

Windows error popup for "Windows cannot access the specified file..."

1. Windows error popup for "Windows cannot access the specified file..." - Similar Threads - error popup cannot

2. Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file: Hello,a few days ago I started having the following problem: when I try to open a video in the, for example, Splash Lite, i get the message that "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file, etc." However, when I try to open the same file in Windows Media...
  3. Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. ....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. ....: Hi,I'm receiving this on restart, after latest Windows Update. Please advise.Thanks!Regards,Harel https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-cannot-access-the-specified-device-path-or/5e58ce4e-8538-4000-af10-c8bd19c8c2a1
  4. Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. ....

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. ....: Hi,I'm receiving this on restart, after latest Windows Update. Please advise.Thanks!Regards,Harel https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-cannot-access-the-specified-device-path-or/5e58ce4e-8538-4000-af10-c8bd19c8c2a1
  5. Windows Cannot Access the Specified Device, Path, or File

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Cannot Access the Specified Device, Path, or File: i have checked the properties and by all means i should be able to launch the new games i downloaded off the windows store but for some reason i continue to get the error message "Windows Cannot Access the Specified Device, Path, or File". this does not happen when playing...
  6. Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file: I cannot open most of my programs. Run as admin does not work. regedit cannot open I cannot open uplay not can I access "change your account type" even though I have only ONE account as admin. help appreciated. submitted by /u/SirballinSystem [link] [comments]...
  7. Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file...: I am trying to open task manager but it wont open with CTRL + ALT + Delete and CTRL + SHIFT + ESC so I tried opening it as an administrator from the search menu and it game this error: [ATTACH] is there a virus or what I tried every thing given at this page:...
  8. Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.: Whenever I uninstall and redownload an application, I get the same error, 'Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have appropriate permissions to access this item'' It's not a permission error, I checked permissions in properties and all that,...
  9. cannot access the specified device path or file error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    cannot access the specified device path or file error: I received an error message saying that cannot access the specified device path or file you may not have appropriate permissions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-access-the-specified-device-path-or-file/62ce3030-850f-4021-bd37-068d2b89a180
  10. Windows cannot access specified device, path or file....

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows cannot access specified device, path or file....: Windows cannot access specified file error. I have read the older material and followed the steps...none of which helped access the file. Permissions were set correctly, file specified was where it was supposed to be. Antivirus not in play and file not corrupt. Still...