Windows 10: Windows event log service endlessly creates files

Discus and support Windows event log service endlessly creates files in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So i turned my pc on today, as it loaded it said that its finishing setup of some update. I ran discord (i rarely use it so its not set on auto-start),... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/bernd___lauert, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Windows event log service endlessly creates files

So i turned my pc on today, as it loaded it said that its finishing setup of some update. I ran discord (i rarely use it so its not set on auto-start), checked it and ran red dead redemption 2 and started playing. Then, as i was playing, i foolishly alt+tabbed to check discord, but i forgot that since last several days when i alt+tab out of rdr2 it freezes and there is no way to force any app on the screen, you only have the start menu popping up, the bar in the bottom, and when you hold alt+tab you can see the app preview but you can never get any app on to pop up on the screen over the frozen rdr2 or instead of it, not even task manager. So i hit the reset button on my pc, waited for it to restart and started rdr2 again. Now up to this point there's nothing unusual, i've done it many times in the past several days with zero problems. But as i started playing rdr2, it displayed a message that it cant perform an autosave because there's not enough free disk space and it needs 2924544kb of free disk space to create an autosave.

I closed the game and started researching, and found out that i have 0 bytes of free space on my C: drive (its a 500GB SSD). I started cleaning up some files, but i soon discoveted that whatever space i clean is soon consumed by something and checking available disk space every 10-15 seconds shows less and less free space until there is 0 bytes of free space on the disk. At the same time, while cleaning the disk, i found that Windows folder takes up around 78GB. "Thats too much even for windows" i thought and started checking the size of folders inside the Windows folder, and discovered that Temp forlder has a size of 56GB. I emptied it, but merely a dozen minutes later i noticed that i'm down to 20GB of free space whereas earlier i had almost 60GB of free space after deleting the contents of the Windows/Temp folder. So i opened task manager and started looking at what is using the disk and found that Windows event log service is using disk at 80mb/s. Soon i was back to 0 bytes of free space and as i was already suspecting that Windows is somehow filling up all free space, i started researching Windows folder again and found that Temp folder is again at 56GB and is full of 3 kinds of files repeated thousands of times (but each with a unique slightly different filename), one weighing 20mb, the other 16mb and another one 1mb. I deleted all these files, all 56GB oglf them and was just sitting there looking at the open and empty Windows/Temp folder. After a couple minutes of no activity files started popping up in that folder again with increadible speed, at which point i turned off my pc and started researching on my phone, but i didnt find any solutions yet so here i am.

submitted by /u/bernd___lauert
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/bernd___lauert, Aug 12, 2020

2. Delete Event Log Files created in one month

Rishad,

I noticed that some type of XML coding might help to export.

I export the logs basically based on the setup of the events. For example, you have Event Viewer (Local) -> Windows Logs -> Security. And I export them to )say the month of April):

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Windows Logs\2016\Security\

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Windows Logs\2016\Security\Comma Separated Value - CSV\04.csv

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Windows Logs\2016\Security\Event Viewer\No Display Information\04.evtx

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Windows Logs\2016\Security\Event Viewer\Display Information for English\04..evtx

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Windows Logs\2016\Security\Event Viewer Current View - XML\04.xml

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Windows Logs\2016\Security\TXT\04.txt

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Windows Logs\2016\Security\XML\No Display Information\04.xml

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Windows Logs\2016\Security\XML\Display Information for English\04.xml

What is getting a bit more difficult is creating the Event Viewer (Local) -> Applications and Services Logs -> Dell (OK a bit easy), but then you have Event Viewer (Local) -> Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> AAD. Which goes to:

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Applications and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\AAD\Operational\2016\Comma Separated Files - CSV\01.csv

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Applications and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\AAD\Operational\2016\Event Files\No Display Information\01.evtx

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Applications and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\AAD\Operational\2016\Event Files\Display Information for English\01.evtx

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Applications and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\AAD\Operational\2016\TXT\01.txt

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Applications and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\AAD\Operational\2016\XML\No Display Information\01.xml

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Applications and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\AAD\Operational\2016\XML\Display Information for English\01.xml

So maybe if an XML export can some export / create the proper documents, that would be great!

Thank you!

CoreyBryant, Aug 12, 2020
  3. "Windows Event Log" service not starting

When I start the "Windows Event Log" service I get the following error:

Windows could not start the Windows Event Log service on Local Computer.

Error 15008: The specified xml text was not well-formed. See Extended Error for more details.

Any suggestion on how to make this sevice work again?

Thanks,

AndreaSchiavinato, Aug 12, 2020
  4. Tatty_One Win User

Windows event log service endlessly creates files

Saves log files ?

You can either read the files in Windows or my preferred method is.....

Download CCcleaner from here...........

CCleaner Professional | Try the world’s most trusted PC cleaner, free!

You can then run cleaner, you will see the log files listed, then if you right click you can save as a text file and then have a read. You may also get an "error reporting" log listed seperatly.

Tatty_One, Aug 12, 2020
Thema:

Windows event log service endlessly creates files

1. Windows event log service endlessly creates files - Similar Threads - event log service

2. Event Viewer Log Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Event Viewer Log Files: I've noticed my disk space is running low and I've found Event Viewer log files are taking up 25GB. The log file size limit is set to the default of 20480 KB and set to overwrite.I'm sure they shouldn't be taking this much space up.Here's a screenshot of what I'm seeing.Does...
  3. Windows 10 event log service won't start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 event log service won't start: HelloTrying to start Windows Event log in services but i get a pop up error message...Windows could not start the windows event log service on local computerError 3: The system cannot find the path specifiedTried googling the problem but can only find a friend that relates to...
  4. Windows 10 event log service won't start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 event log service won't start: HelloTrying to start Windows Event log in services but i get a pop up error message...Windows could not start the windows event log service on local computerError 3: The system cannot find the path specifiedTried googling the problem but can only find a friend that relates to...
  5. Windows 10 event log service won't start

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Windows Event Log Service Restart/Shutdown logs

Windows Event Log Service Restart/Shutdown logs: Hi, I had a question regarding the logistics of Windows Event Log. I'm trying to build a service that depends on time, and am trying to use Windows Event Log's timestamps for specific events, mainly power-related events such as Restart/Shutdown/Dirty Shutdown and Time...
  7. Which app/services creates this log?

in Windows 10 Support
    Which app/services creates this log?: Hello Windows 10 Home v2004 In this case was V0100004.log but these log files are like roaches. Which service is creating them? Any way to kill them? C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\VXXXXXX.log Thanks 164502
  8. Endless BSOD question.... Event log attatched.. help..

Endless BSOD question.... Event log attatched.. help..: https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/wkwon_umass_edu/EWP9UbngpvNHmrHynC281BIBDTdGFUoj9WTKiaHQ2jpnBg?e=9brDn8 This is the event log file from my laptop. I dont have minidump file as the "error info collection" process do not move on from 0 % and have to force...
  9. Event Log Service

Event Log Service: When I try to use Event Viewer it tells me that Event Log Service is not running or unavailable. I find that it is stopped so I start the service but if I check back later I get the same message and nothing has been logged...
  10. Event ID 257 App Events log- The Cryptographic Services service failed

in Windows 10 Support
    Event ID 257 App Events log- The Cryptographic Services service failed: System is functioning fine, however this error continually logs in the app log. Trying all kinds of fixes everywhere and hoping the Win10 forum group can help out as you guys are probably the best source anywhere for troubleshooting/fixes for Win10. Code: Log Name:...