Windows 10: Windows .exe file association broken - every program including cmd, regedit, notepad,...

Discus and support Windows .exe file association broken - every program including cmd, regedit, notepad,... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; THIS IS NOT A DUPLICATE - I HAVE TRIED THE EXISTING REMEDY I have already read The file may start a different program when you run an .exe file in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jhg6308, Jan 29, 2021.

1. jhg6308 Win User

Windows .exe file association broken - every program including cmd, regedit, notepad,...

THIS IS NOT A DUPLICATE - I HAVE TRIED THE EXISTING REMEDY

I have already read The file may start a different program when you run an .exe file in Windows and applied the registry fix to no effect.

This started immediately after I created a file association for

.tsv tab-separated values -> excel.exe

All the executable icons on my desktop changed into the Excel icon.

Any attempt to launch any .exe directly launches Excel instead and tries to open the .exe file as the input document, which of course fails with varying errors depending on whether Excel thinks the executable is merely unrecognized or possibly a plugin.

It is completely impossible to launch a .exe file by directly invoking it. This includes even cmd.exe, regedit, taskmgr, notepad, etc. If you double-click the executable, or enter its name in the Windows Start menu, Excel launches instead.

Curiously, programs that have a file association, and for which an associated document file exists, can be launched by double-clicking the associated document or data file. For example, I have the association .txt->TextPad, and can launch TextPad by opening an existing .txt file, even though launching TextPad directly i.e. from a pinned taskbar icon launches Excel instead.

I tried the registry fix in the article cited above. It applied without errors but did not fix the issue. I cannot start regedit in order to verify the registry changes were applied.

I then booted into the recovery command line and was able to run regedit. I mounted the correct user hive and looked for .exe file associations, and was unable to find anything that looked unusual; no mentions of excel.exe in unexpected places. Also, the registry key mentioned in the above fix FileExts does not exist. Did file associations move somewhere else in Windows 10 1909 or earlier?

Next I thought to uninstall Excel to see if that would reset the association. There is no separate entry for Excel in the apps list, only for Microsoft365. Attempting to uninstall that gives "This file does not have an app associated with int for performing this action" which I suspect is because it's trying to execute OfficeClickToRun.exe and that is failing.

I'm stumped. I can't even download the upgrade to 20H2 and run it because it comes a .exe file -- which I can't open. And it's not certain that would fix the problem

If I download and copy the ISO image to a usb stick, will I still have the in-place install option to keep all apps and data?

:)

jhg6308, Jan 29, 2021

2. exe files and regedit

I can't access any of my exe files or regedit. Every time I double click on a program, Windows 10 tells me to find an app to open it. When regedit came up the first time, I looked up the steps to getting my exe files to be recognized by Windows 10 and
    that didn't work. Now, I can't get regedit to work! i am so frustrated. Could somebody help me and tell me what is going on here please?

JuniorHamilton1, Jan 29, 2021
  3. Try3 Win User
    File Associations How to determine the target program file

Burr,

%userprofile%\desktop will fail to find the path for a relocated Desktop folder.

You would need to incorporate the batch method shown in Find the user Desktop folder path - PS, vbs, batch methods - TenForums

Denis

4. Windows .exe file association broken - every program including cmd, regedit, notepad,...

File Associations How to determine the target program file

A file extension, say, txt is associated to a file type (txtfile), which in turn can open a specific program (Notepad) when the file is double-clicked or double-tapped. This will produce a list of them all:

1. Display all extensions and their associated file types by firstly copying the following 4 lines:
    assoc >"%userprofile%\desktop\assoc.txt
    start notepad "%userprofile%\desktop\assoc.txt
    exit
    cls

Now open Command Prompt (Admin). Using the mouse right-click, paste the 4 copied lines to the Command Prompt window. A .txt file is created on the Desktop and Notepad will open and display the list. The list represents the registry keys located in the merged HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. In the left pane (using regedit), look for the extension, for example .txt. The (Default) field in the right pane contains the file type, e.g. txtfile.

2. Now display all file types and their associated programs by substituting the above 4 lines with these:
    ftype >"%userprofile%\desktop\ftype.txt
    start notepad "%userprofile%\desktop\ftype.txt
    exit
    cls

Another .txt file is created on the Desktop and Notepad will open and display it. This list represents the registry keys in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT further down beyond the extensions using regedit. Look for the file type, for example txtfile, then click or tap shell\open\command. In the right pane, the (Default) field shows the full path of the program that opens it, e.g. notepad.

3. NOTE. In operation, any keys in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes (current user) take precedence over those in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes (all users) and both keys appear as the merged HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. Any changes should be made to HKCU and HKLM. The HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT keys are intended to be read from, not written to.

BurrWalnut, Jan 29, 2021
Thema:

Windows .exe file association broken - every program including cmd, regedit, notepad,...

1. Windows .exe file association broken - every program including cmd, regedit, notepad,... - Similar Threads - exe file association

2. Windows .exe file association is broken - every program including cmd, regedit, notepad,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows .exe file association is broken - every program including cmd, regedit, notepad,...: I accidentally changed my default exe file opener to Adobe Acrobat, when I ran the .exe file it appeared select an app to open this .exe file. when I run regedit, cmd, notepad and taskmgr it shows application not found how do i solve it?...
  3. Windows .exe file association is broken - every program including cmd, regedit, notepad,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows .exe file association is broken - every program including cmd, regedit, notepad,...: I accidentally changed my default exe file opener to Adobe Acrobat, when I ran the .exe file it appeared select an app to open this .exe file. when I run regedit, cmd, notepad and taskmgr it shows application not found how do i solve it?...
  4. Unable to open regedit, cmd or any .exe files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to open regedit, cmd or any .exe files: Hi, I am encountering a problem that the default app of .exe files has been changed.While I did some research that many of the solutions suggest that I can reset it via cmd or regedit. However, my oc doesn't let me open any of those.Everytime I choose to open regedit or cmd....
  5. Unable to open regedit, cmd or any .exe files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to open regedit, cmd or any .exe files: Hi, I am encountering a problem that the default app of .exe files has been changed.While I did some research that many of the solutions suggest that I can reset it via cmd or regedit. However, my oc doesn't let me open any of those.Everytime I choose to open regedit or cmd....
  6. Unable to open regedit, cmd or any .exe files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. broken .cmd association

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    broken .cmd association: as the title suggests i cant open .cmd filesIs there any fix for that?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/broken-cmd-association/8ab84af1-8040-4402-a856-a6b004c17bba
  8. broken .exe filetype association

in Windows 10 Customization
    broken .exe filetype association: I can't open any .exe programs. I've looked around in the forums and the solution seems to be to fix the registry keys, however I can't open regedit. I also can't open command prompt or task manager. Another solution was to tweak the registry without opening regedit either...
  9. exe files and regedit

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    exe files and regedit: I can't access any of my exe files or regedit. Every time I double click on a program, Windows 10 tells me to find an app to open it. When regedit came up the first time, I looked up the steps to getting my exe files to be recognized by Windows 10 and that didn't work. Now, I...
  10. Disallowrun and locked exe, cmd, regedit

in Windows 10 Support
    Disallowrun and locked exe, cmd, regedit: I did a very stupid thing. I tried to make windows block one application by creating registry in Policies/Explorer named RestrictRun. I did it and then I also created DisallowRun. In KEy Restrict run I added one application, but i couldnt create key for DisallowRun and...