Windows 10: Windows Explorer acting strangely..

Discus and support Windows Explorer acting strangely.. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Explorer annoyed me with it's quick access thing making me wait and grouping things the way it wants and effectively putting things out of sight... so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by abrogard, Feb 29, 2020.

1. abrogard Win User

Windows Explorer acting strangely..

Explorer annoyed me with it's quick access thing making me wait and grouping things the way it wants and effectively putting things out of sight...

so I disabled it via the view/options thing.

and that worked for maybe ten minutes. Until I next shut down windows explorer and then opened it up again... it started wanting to compile the quick access thing again... has me waiting, watching the green progress bar for long minutes during which I can access nothing, no files at all...

as it gets closer to the end it goes slower... when it gets into the little box where the 'x' is then it takes forever... I've been waiting for it to complete in there since I started this post...

Is there anything one can do about this or is it just another windows feature we have to accept.. ?

Is there some way we can access our files while this madness is going on.. ?

:)

abrogard, Feb 29, 2020

2. Explorer Crashes and Acts Strange

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to download the ISO file for Windows 10 from the referred link and perform a repair using the same Installation Media and see if the issue can be resolved.

Please follow the below steps.

Step 1: Follow the below link to create an ISO image for Windows 10.

Link: Download Windows 10

This issue could occur due to corrupted Master Boot Record. A boot sector is a part of hard disk or any storage device which contains machine code. A Boot Sector loads the machine code stored in the storage device. Master
    Boot record
    is a type of boot sector. Whenever a computer boots, the master Boot record executes. To repair MBR follow below steps.

• Insert media such as (DVD or flash drive).
    • On the Install now screen, select Repair your computer.
    • Select Troubleshoot, followed by Advanced
      options.
    • From Advanced options, launch a command prompt windows,
      and enter the following command:
    bootrec.exe /fixmbr

• Once the command is finished, reboot your computer the normal way and check if it helps.
    Hope this information helps. Please post us if you need any further assistance with Windows.

Thank you.

Sagnik_Chakraborty, Feb 29, 2020
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    File Explorer acting Strange again (still)

Hello,

Windows 10 may have encountered a corrupted system file that caused this issue. For us to help you with this, kindly answer the following questions:

• What is the current build and version of your Windows 10? To check type in
      winver on the search bar and press Enter.
    • Is this also happening on another user account? Are you using an Administrator account?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your computer prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you
    boot your Windows 10 into safe mode
    and perform the following steps:

• Open Task Manager by right clicking the taskbar.
    • Click More details at the bottom to expand the Task Manager window.
    • Under the Processes tab, look for Windows Explorer.
    • After selecting the Windows Explorer, click the Restart
      button at the bottom.
    • It may take a few seconds and things like your taskbar and Start menu may disappear momentarily, but when it restarts, things should behave better and you can exit Task Manager.

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Xylee Del, Feb 29, 2020
  4. Windows Explorer acting strangely..

Windows Explorer Replacement?

are you running IE7? if not that wouold be my first suggestion,upgrade to ie7 that can fix some stability issues with windows explorer

Athlon2K15, Feb 29, 2020
Thema:

Windows Explorer acting strangely..

1. Windows Explorer acting strangely.. - Similar Threads - Explorer acting strangely

2. Computer acting strange

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer acting strange: There seems to be something blocking my input. When I hear a chime that a device has been plugged in my mouse and keyboard stop functioning like normal. Once this chime is heard the computer will not even accept input from the on screen keyboard. When I try to use a right...
  3. Computer acting strange

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer acting strange: Recently I've had a very strange issue with my computer. Upon booting up it will not accept most input from my keyboard or mouse. What's so odd about it is that some things will work and some things won't. If I don't put in my PIN number quick enough and the keyboard stops...
  4. Display acting strange

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display acting strange: I’m not sure what these lines mean, if anyone can help that’d be really nice, before i reset I tried changing drivers and it did not work. The lines do not appear in bios though....
  5. Windows apps acting strange

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows apps acting strange: Latley Ive had in issue with windows apps acting strange This is only in windows apps, Start Menu, Settings, Xbox Ive linked a video to showcase the issue https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SXs2wztCGS71yZ4WsClB9_ciYVse01-l/view?usp=sharing...
  6. desktop acting strange

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop acting strange: It is as if the devil took my working desktop w/ w10, cntl/alt del wont bring up task master. web sites change font size if I try to scroll using mouse wheel. cortina wont input. the list goes on and on. And then if i wait long enough, (10 -20 minutes) things start working....
  7. Windows Security Acting Strange

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Security Acting Strange: Running into a strange bug with Windows security that I haven't been able to figure out: I have Windows security active on my PC, nothing out of the ordinary there. With a recent update Windows security has been informing me when it blocks changes to the system. These blocks...
  8. Mouse acting strange

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mouse acting strange: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/goreidea [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iobg9i/mouse_acting_strange/
  9. Windows 10 File Explorer acting strangely

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 File Explorer acting strangely: Earlier this morning it started lightly blinking, would happen a few times and then stop and then maybe do it again within the hour maybe not. Then File Expl. started moving my usb drives around, stayed in "This PC" view/folder but would switch E: with R: and then swap...
  10. DVD IS ACTING STRANGE

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD IS ACTING STRANGE: HI I JUST PURCHASED A NEW HP ELITE X2 1012 G2. I HAVE A PLUG AND PLAY LG DVD DRIVE. I PLUG IT IN AND WINDOWS SEES IT THEN I PUT THE DVD IN. THE WINDOWS SAYS IT NEEDS A PLAYER FROM THE STORE. SO I DOWNLOADED THE PLAYER AND IT STILL WANTS A PLAYER? I WENT INTO THE PLAYER AND...