Windows 10: Windows explorer always refreshing (and no, it is not related to desktop settings)

Discus and support Windows explorer always refreshing (and no, it is not related to desktop settings) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My windows explorer started to behave strangely after I started using a new USB external drive, but this is now a permanent issue no matter if that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JMB5, Apr 8, 2019.

1. JMB5 Win User

Windows explorer always refreshing (and no, it is not related to desktop settings)

My windows explorer started to behave strangely after I started using a new USB external drive, but this is now a permanent issue no matter if that drive is connected or not. What happens is that the explorer refreshes every 2 seconds or so, which means I cannot scroll through any file list or even select any file ... immediately there is a refresh and the cursor is reset to the top position. Other than this, my computer behaves normal, e.g. accessing the file structure via apps and programs works as normal.

I looked around a lot in the forum here and found people who were helped by changing their desktop color to one permanent color and/or disabling any slideshows. I definitely tried all these solutions and that was not it. I also reinstalled my GPU drivers, reset my BIOS, all to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

JMB5, Apr 8, 2019
  2. Try3 Win User

Windows Explorer refuses to refresh Explorer

Masterchef,

I have had this problem and so have lots of other people. None of the suggested solutions I found on the internet had anything other than a temporary effect. The problem eventually went away of its own accord but still rears its ugly head from time to time. I only kept a few links on the subject -
    Desktop or Explorer does not refresh automatically in Windows
    Windows Explorer doesn't refresh by itself - Microsoft Community
    windows file list does not auto refresh-update - Microsoft Answers [Windows 7]
    Windows Explorer doesn't refresh when moving-deleting - TechNet [Windows 7]

When the problem reappears, I restart the computer. If that does not resolve matters then I accept the situation and don't waste my time chasing non-solutions. You might wish to consider adopting the same approach.

All the best,
    Denis

Try3, Apr 8, 2019
  3. Necron99 Win User
    Windows File Explorer keeps refreshing

I read a solution that worked for me with this problem elsewhere (can't find the thread at the moment).

The problem is related to having a desktop slideshow. When the desktop changes to a new slide, it is causing Explorer to refresh itself, as it wants to have accent colors that 'match' the slide (I think, anyway).

In any case, to get Explorer to cut it out:

• Right-click on your desktop
    • Select 'Personalize'
    • In the left-hand side of the menu that comes up, select 'Colors'
    • Check the toggle "Automatically pick an accent color from my background" - turn it to OFF
    • Pick a color
    And that's it - Explorer should stop refreshing now as the accent color is static.

Necron99, Apr 8, 2019
  4. Paddy Win User

Windows explorer always refreshing (and no, it is not related to desktop settings)

Automatic refresh doesn't work in File Explorer, Desktop, Recycle etc.

Same in the safe mode, no changes...

I have tried pretty much all those suggestions from various sites, but none of them worked for me.
    What I have seems to be a major issue, they even call it WEDR bug.
    The only thing that slightly changed recently... sometimes, a few times I managed to get automatic refresh for the Desktop, if I for example do the right click and create a new folder, it does create instantly and is visible straight away.... hoewever this never happens in Windows Explorer... I think I once got a file in C: to be processed automatically but thats it... and never had ANY automatic refresh for any of the folders and files on external drives.

Paddy, Apr 8, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows explorer always refreshing (and no, it is not related to desktop settings) - Similar Threads - explorer always refreshing

2. Right clicking in my desktop or file explorer will refresh the desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right clicking in my desktop or file explorer will refresh the desktop: I've had this problem twice now, the last problem occurred around 2 months ago and now it happened again. I would assume this is caused by the updates, and it appeared again. Tried the same solution I tried last time but it didn't work this time system restore. I restored at...
  3. Right clicking in my desktop or file explorer will refresh the desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right clicking in my desktop or file explorer will refresh the desktop: I've had this problem twice now, the last problem occurred around 2 months ago and now it happened again. I would assume this is caused by the updates, and it appeared again. Tried the same solution I tried last time but it didn't work this time system restore. I restored at...
  4. Windows File Explorer and Desktop isn't refreshing automatically.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows File Explorer and Desktop isn't refreshing automatically.: Ive had this issue for a couple weeks now and wanted to help others since this is really frustrating.I found the solution for it in a random youtube video comment about this topic.UNPIN ANY NETWORK FOLDER from your Explorer and it will work again. Only fix which will persist....
  5. Windows File Explorer and Desktop isn't refreshing automatically.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File Explorer and Desktop isn't refreshing automatically.: Ive had this issue for a couple weeks now and wanted to help others since this is really frustrating.I found the solution for it in a random youtube video comment about this topic.UNPIN ANY NETWORK FOLDER from your Explorer and it will work again. Only fix which will persist....
  6. Windows File Explorer and Desktop isn't refreshing automatically.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. 20H2 Desktop refreshing with explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    20H2 Desktop refreshing with explorer: I had a file on my desktop and I renamed it. I then restarted file explorer and it moves the renamed file and adds a generic looking shortcut. I restarted explorer again and it shows the Microsoft Edge icon on the shortcut which I had deleted a couple of days ago and...
  8. Windows explorer not refreshing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows explorer not refreshing: Hello,Windows explorer not refreshing. In folders where video files are, there were thumbnails (small picture of the video clip). Now there are only medium icons with "mp4" text inside.Once when I opened such a folder, there was a yellow progress bar running at the upper side...
  9. Desktop and Explorer Not Automatically Refreshing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop and Explorer Not Automatically Refreshing: Hello, My computer (with Windows 10 Home) has been working fine until just few minutes ago when the desktop and explorer stopped automatically refreshing. What this means is that when I create a new folder, it doesn't show up until I manually refresh. When I delete a file,...
  10. File explorer issue in windows 10, always refreshing in any folder.

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer issue in windows 10, always refreshing in any folder.: This is the worst problem i am facing in windows 10. File explorer always refreshing while refresh don't work at all, In any folder it's starts refreshing green line never stops and never completes once it starts. The worst part if I stop refreshing and come to this pc it...