Windows 10: Windows explorer and start menu

Discus and support Windows explorer and start menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've installed office 2016 on my desktop, and the icons on the start menu are just blank icons. They have the background colors for each app, but the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ryley2637, Feb 11, 2016.

1. ryley2637 Win User

Windows explorer and start menu

I've installed office 2016 on my desktop, and the icons on the start menu are just blank icons. They have the background colors for each app, but the actual program icon is not there. i've already tried reinstalling the entire suite, running a number of programs, etc. but nothing has worked so far.

my other current issue is when I restart explore the start menu and desktop is completely unresponsive, and I have to restart the computer to fix the issue.

:)

ryley2637, Feb 11, 2016

2. How to install explorer in Windows 10?

Windows Explorer is already installed on your PC, only now it's called File Explorer. Go into the Start menu/All apps/Windows System. File Explorer can be found there; I suggest you pin it to the Start menu.

Alan Russell, Feb 11, 2016
  3. wlt1953 Win User
    File explorer missing from start menu and start menu personalisations greyed out Windows 10

Great job! Thanks!

wlt1953, Feb 11, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I believe I've seen posts here about Office icons, so you may want to search. I don't use it so can't comment on that point, sorry.

Many people experience issues with the Win 10 start menu, but not quite as you're reporting.

I suggest you start a process of elimination to check if any installed program is causing a conflict.
    1. Does the same happen in Safe Mode?
    If so, it's most likely Windows corruption or corruption of your user profile.
    Try creating a new user account and see if that works.
    2. If not, try a clean boot
    How to perform a Clean boot in Windows 10 - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

If the symptom is still present, try Shellexview (free).
    Hide all MS extensions, then disable all others and recheck your symptom.

Please advise your results. Good luck.

dalchina, Feb 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows explorer and start menu - Similar Threads - explorer start menu

2. File Explorer Won't Start from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Won't Start from Start Menu: I can no longer start File Explorer from the Start Menu link, or task bar link on Win 11. When pressed the screen goes off, reappears without icons or task bar then goes back to normal. File Explorer isn't visible but is running in Task Manager. Shortcuts to existing folders...
  3. Windows start menu and Windows Explorer not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows start menu and Windows Explorer not working: So I used the registry to change the taskbar color. That's it. That is all I did. And now I can't right or left click the start button or the search bar. And to add to it, Windows Explorer isn't working either. So I can't access my folders. I've changed all of the settings...
  4. Windows start menu and Windows Explorer not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows start menu and Windows Explorer not working: So I used the registry to change the taskbar color. That's it. That is all I did. And now I can't right or left click the start button or the search bar. And to add to it, Windows Explorer isn't working either. So I can't access my folders. I've changed all of the settings...
  5. Windows start menu and Windows Explorer not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. how to see start menu in explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to see start menu in explorer: I don't like the windows 10 tiles. how do i make the menu appear just like windows 7? PLUS, somehow I can't see APPDATA under my user name but I see it under others....
  7. Windows Explorer search and Start Menu not working*

in Cortana
    Windows Explorer search and Start Menu not working*: About three days ago I noticed that my Search Button and searching in general wasn't working and the Start Menu was more or less broken. I tried almost every solution I could find - like running sfc /scannow or DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, that sort of thing -...
  8. Start menu not appearing after update + Explorer not starting

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu not appearing after update + Explorer not starting: I'm on Win 10 Pro-64 bits (10.0, Build 17134) A few months ago, my Explorer (i.e. desktop) stopped starting automatically when booting Windows. I tried all I could find on the Web to fix, but I gave up as nothing proposed worked. So when I log in, I manually start the Task...
  9. Start menu file explorer error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Start menu file explorer error: when accessing file explorer through the start menu only, I get this error: C:\Windows\explorer.exe Windows cannot access the specified device path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. going to the path stated and launching the program...
  10. Start Menu - Win Explorer ? ? ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu - Win Explorer ? ? ?: I haven’t done any Win updates since 4-28, and late last night I started to download Forza 6 beta from Ms store, but saw it was going to take forever, so I went to bed. Somewhere in the night it finished and installed on its own (didn’t like that). PC was running when I got...