Windows 10: Windows Explorer can't find files

Discus and support Windows Explorer can't find files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My computer was working fine yesterday. Today, I needed to look at a pdf in the Downloads folder, but for all files in the Download folder, I get the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AndrewClockmaker, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Windows Explorer can't find files

My computer was working fine yesterday. Today, I needed to look at a pdf in the Downloads folder, but for all files in the Download folder, I get the message:

'Windows cannot find "C:\Users\My Name\Downloads\File Name'.

Outside of the Downloads folder, about half the other files I have tried to open have the same response, the rest open normally.

I'm running W10 Pro with all regular updates automatically installed on a Dell All-in-one.

I have tried ChkDsk but no improvement.

Any suggestions?

:)

AndrewClockmaker, Jun 9, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 9, 2020
  3. Frick Win User
    Windows Explorer Replacement?

I don't use Internet Explorer, I meant the thing where you can look at files etc. Hotkey Windows+E. Maybe it's the wrong name in english though. *Stick Out Tongue Windows Explorer can't find files :p

Frick, Jun 9, 2020
  4. geno368 Win User

Windows Explorer can't find files

Some files listed in Windows Explorer are blue font

I seem to have run out of room on a Windows XP Pro system. I tried to defrag but don't have but 7% room available. I looked in Windows Explorer to try to find some huge files that might be corrupt and I see a few that are listed in blue. What does that mean? I have not compressed anything on purpose. Thanks

geno368, Jun 9, 2020
Thema:

Windows Explorer can't find files

1. Windows Explorer can't find files - Similar Threads - Explorer can't find

2. File Explorer - Find my files in Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer - Find my files in Windows: I have upgraded my Windows to version 11 and find File Search requires improvement on user-friendly.I often use datemodified: 6/6/2022 .. 11/6/2022 to find files between 6 June and June 11 international date format. Is it a correct date format input for searching my files. My...
  3. File Explorer - Find my files in Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer - Find my files in Windows: I have upgraded my Windows to version 11 and find File Search requires improvement on user-friendly.I often use datemodified: 6/6/2022 .. 11/6/2022 to find files between 6 June and June 11 international date format. Is it a correct date format input for searching my files. My...
  4. Can't find file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't find file: I downloaded a plugin for ableton live which required a installer first. I used the installer to download the actual plugin then it required me to restart my computer. Once I finished restarting the pc, I searched for the downloaded plugin so i could move it into the correct...
  5. Windows Explorer can not find files

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer can not find files: OS Build 19041.508 So I open Windows Explorer in my "home" folder. In the left column (Navigation Pane) it shows the "Quick Access" points with thumbtacks. I select Documents and then enter the partial file name I want to search for. I get "No items match your search". If...
  6. File explorer can’t find file

in Cortana
    File explorer can’t find file: I do a search in file explorer. It can’t find a file called “crystaldiskinfo”. I search “in” or “disk” or “info”. Tried it on my MacBook. Works fine. Why is windows 10 search so useless....
  7. Can't find Personal Vault in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't find Personal Vault in File Explorer: Hey guys, For those of you who have set up your Personal Vault in OneDrive, does the "Personal Vault" folder show up in Windows File Explorer under the OneDrive folder? It doesn't for me, which seems strange. The features of the Personal Vault seems to work fine, e.g. by...
  8. I can't find about 32GB of storage in File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't find about 32GB of storage in File Explorer.: My laptop has 64GB of storage. I can account for about 24GB. File Explorer only shows that I have only 8GB free. Where is the other 32GB of storage?...
  9. File explorer cannot find files

in Cortana
    File explorer cannot find files: After the most recent update of Windows 10, File Explorer stopped working. I ran the troubleshooter and it did not find anything. I need to be able to find files. HELP!...
  10. Why can't I find files on my PC with Windows Explorer

in Cortana
    Why can't I find files on my PC with Windows Explorer: I spend hours searching through folders for files, images etc that I know exist on the system, but the search facility in Windows 10 doesn't find them. It sometimes will not find files that I've just saved - I can locate them, but explorer can't. In explorer I click on the...