Windows 10: windows explorer crash when opening files windows.storage.dll

Discus and support windows explorer crash when opening files windows.storage.dll in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When some users opens the explorer and browse some folders it starts opening lots of new windows. Moreover if we open files like Word documents or pdf... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Z8mail, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Z8mail Win User

windows explorer crash when opening files windows.storage.dll

When some users opens the explorer and browse some folders it starts opening lots of new windows. Moreover if we open files like Word documents or pdf files than the explorer crashes and restarts.

It seems to be a user related problem. If another user profiles uses the same machine the problem does not occur.

We can fix the problem if we delete some files:

%SHELLFOLDER_USER_APPDATA%Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations\*

%SHELLFOLDER_USER_APPDATA%Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations\*

%SHELLFOLDER_USER_APPDATA%Microsoft\Windows\Recent\*

But after a random time the problem occurs again.

We disabled all third-party shell extension ShellExView, we uninstalled third party Antivirus and we have uninstalled Nuance PowerPDF.

I have uploaded a crash dump:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmGL_5Wj9xuycAOookJEAGSzWQM?e=sG4PhU

Here is the event log:

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: Explorer.EXE, Version: 10.0.10240.18036, Zeitstempel: 0x5bd1481b

Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: windows.storage.dll, Version: 10.0.10240.18575, Zeitstempel: 0x5eb0f0a5

Ausnahmecode: 0xc000041d

Fehleroffset: 0x00000000000f6c4c

ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x1284

Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d63a5d79385151

Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE

Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Windows\system32\windows.storage.dll

Berichtskennung: 6f44f0fd-cf1e-4341-8415-59d07e81f83d

Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets:

Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist:

What can we do to fix the problem permanently?

Thanks

Z8mail

:)

Z8mail, Jun 4, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 4, 2020
  3. Harvy Win User
    Windows explorer crashing

Hi,

I am having the same problem as the OP in this thread.
    Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

I have tried the fixes listed in the above thread and I am getting the same error message as 'ktadie' (post 16). I think this is because I am running Windows 7 Professional. Windows explorer crashes when I open my 'Films' folder on my brand new 2tb external HDD. I have about 300 .avi files in this folder and some of the .avi files are several years old.

In short I believe I need the same fix given by 'Wile E' (post 7) but updated for Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks in advance.

Harvy, Jun 4, 2020
  4. jsmin Win User

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Jun 4, 2020
Thema:

1. windows explorer crash when opening files windows.storage.dll - Similar Threads - explorer crash opening

2. Explorer.exe is crashing when file explorer is opened

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer.exe is crashing when file explorer is opened: I have windows11 22H2, today my file explorer stopped working, when i open it it just hangs and doesn't load the path section and then crashes explorer.exe, is there any way i can find out what causes this without reinstalling windows?Faulting application name: explorer.exe,...
  3. Explorer.exe is crashing when file explorer is opened

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer.exe is crashing when file explorer is opened: I have windows11 22H2, today my file explorer stopped working, when i open it it just hangs and doesn't load the path section and then crashes explorer.exe, is there any way i can find out what causes this without reinstalling windows?Faulting application name: explorer.exe,...
  4. Windows Explorer crashing when opening a folder with a music file on it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer crashing when opening a folder with a music file on it.: So i don't know why but since the last version of Windows 10, the Windows Explorer keeps crashing when opening a folder with a music file on it.This happens with a lot of music types: MP3, OGG, WAV etc......
  5. Windows Explorer crashing when opening a folder with a music file on it.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer crashing when opening a folder with a music file on it.: So i don't know why but since the last version of Windows 10, the Windows Explorer keeps crashing when opening a folder with a music file on it.This happens with a lot of music types: MP3, OGG, WAV etc......
  6. ASUS laptop Windows Explorer crashes when opening files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    ASUS laptop Windows Explorer crashes when opening files: My Asus zenbook, running windows 10 now a few years old has been continuously crashing whenever I open a file.I can navigate folders without problems, but as soon as I open a document or file it immediately crashes.I have tried uninstalling the ASUS bloatware, and all the...
  7. Windows Explorer crashes when opening file in a program

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Explorer crashes when opening file in a program: My windows explorer crashes when I want to open a file from certain programs, for example vlc, chrome, sometimes even microsoft office programs. It happens randomly. When i open vlc and try to open a file from there, a new search window opens which is just white and is not...
  8. File Explorer crash when opening folder in new window

File Explorer crash when opening folder in new window: Hi I have a problem with file explorer in windows 10 When i try to open a folder from the list at the left corner as example a folder from Quick access When i click on it with right click and choose open in new window the file explorer crashes and restart again...
  9. Windows Explorer crashes when moving/opening files

Windows Explorer crashes when moving/opening files: Hi, I've been having a lot of trouble opening and files in windows explorer. Nearly every time I try to open or move a file, the folder it is in stops responding and eventually causes Windows Explorer to crash. With small files or at certain times, it doesn't happen. But it...
  10. Windows Explorer crashes when I open File Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Explorer crashes when I open File Explorer: So whenever I click File Explorer on the taskbar or in the start menu, Windows Explorer crashes and I need to go into task manager and restart it. But if I click a folder on my desktop it doesn't crash? 56915

Users found this page by searching for:

1. explorer crash windows.storage.dll