Windows 10: Windows Explorer crashes and screen flickers after reboot

Discus and support Windows Explorer crashes and screen flickers after reboot in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; In our VDI we have the following problem with our Windows 10 Image: Sometimes after a reboot and after the Login the screens starts flickering... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Rapp Robin, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Windows Explorer crashes and screen flickers after reboot

In our VDI we have the following problem with our Windows 10 Image:

Sometimes after a reboot and after the Login the screens starts flickering between black and blue.

In the Event log there are the following error Messages every second:

The shell stopped unexpectedly and explorer.exe was restarted.

This is the error Dump that was generated: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahr8NE2yMnBQadEduJ3rYSb1Dn0

After a reboot of the virtual machine, the Problem is gone. It only appears about 1 in a 100 times.

Maybe someone can analyse the error dump and give me a clue what it could be.

Thank you

Robin Rapp

:)

Rapp Robin, Apr 2, 2019
  2. AlanR246 Win User

Screen flicker and hangup on desktop screen

The short term fix for me was to roll back to Windows 7. I did not have the time to work through the issues but will try again in a week or so. I had a call in to the Microsoft Answer Desk and got a call back after I rolled back. Pasted below are the suggestions
    to attempt find the problem. In my case, I suspect Norton was the culprit since that was the common product on both my desktops and I was not seeing a flicker in Task Manager window.

From the Microsoft Answer Desk:

Here are the Steps for the Flickering issue.

If we see the screen flickering after sign-in there are two possible causes - apps causing Explorer to crash, or display driver issues.

To start, press this key combination: CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

If this opens Task Manager and that window is NOT flickering:The likely cause is Software Compatibility issue causing Explorer.exe to crash repeatedly.

• Use the File, Run option in Task Manager to open additional tools as-needed. Be sure to check the box to run tools as Administrator. These could include:

appwiz.cpl: Opens Programs and Features

compmgmt.msc: Opens Computer Management

cmd.exe
    • You can search for crash events in the Event Logs and find if any third party DLLs are the faulting module in the Explorer,.exe crashes Or uninstall software that is likely to include shell extensions.
    • If removing software does not resolve the issue, use these commands to repair Windows:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow
    We have reports that removing these apps help resolve the issue:

• Norton Antivirus
    • Other AV solutions
    • iCloud
    • IDT Audio (faulting module IDTNC64.cpl)
    If Task Manager is flickering, or it didn't open, proceed with display driver troubleshooting:
    The likely cause is a display driver or display hardware issue.

• Boot to Safe Mode with Networking.
    • Use the same steps here as for Black Screen issues - if dual chipset, disable built-in graphics, if still flickers, try with only the other chipset enabled.
    • If this does not work, or there is only a single chipset, uninstall the device and remove the driver software.
    • Then boot into Windows and update the drivers to the latest from the manufacturer.
    Here are the Steps for the Flickering issue.

If we see the screen flickering after sign-in there are two possible causes - apps causing Explorer to crash, or display driver issues.

AlanR246, Apr 2, 2019
  3. Screen flickering in Windows 10 safe mode

I haven't made any changes on my device. This screen flickering is only happening in Safe Mode.

AdhipBanerjee, Apr 2, 2019
  4. Windows Explorer crashes and screen flickers after reboot

screen flicker and incomplete reboot start up after windows 10 update

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Forums.

If we see the screen flickering after sign-in there are two possible causes – apps causing Explorer to crash, or display driver issues.

To start, press this key combination: CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

If this opens Task Manager and that window is NOT flickering:

The likely cause is Software Compatibility issue causing Explorer.exe to crash repeatedly.

• Use the File, Run option in Task Manager to open additional tools as-needed. Be sure to check the box to run tools as Administrator. These could include:

appwiz.cpl: Opens Programs and Features

compmgmt.msc: Opens Computer Management

cmd.exe
    • You can search for crash events in the Event Logs and find if any third party DLLs are the faulting module in the Explorer,.exe crashes Or uninstall software that is likely to include shell extensions.
    • If removing software does not resolve the issue, use these commands to repair Windows:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow
    We have reports that removing these apps help resolve the issue:

• Norton Antivirus
    • Other AV solutions
    • iCloud
    If Task Manager is flickering, or it didn’t open, proceed with display driver troubleshooting:

The likely cause is a display driver or display hardware issue.

• Boot to Safe Mode with Networking.
    • Use the same steps here as for Black Screen issues – if dual chipset, disable built-in graphics, if still flickers, try with only the other chipset enabled.
    • If this does not work, or there is only a single chipset, uninstall the device and remove the driver software.
    • Then boot into Windows and update the drivers to the latest from the manufacturer.

Hope this helps.

Anish A Kumar, Apr 2, 2019
Thema:

Windows Explorer crashes and screen flickers after reboot

1. Windows Explorer crashes and screen flickers after reboot - Similar Threads - Explorer crashes screen

2. Why is my screen flickering after booting, but not after hard reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my screen flickering after booting, but not after hard reboot: Why is my laptop screen flickering on boot, but not after hard reboot? It seems this started happening after the last Windows Update in February. Really annoying....
  3. Why is my screen flickering after booting, but not after hard reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my screen flickering after booting, but not after hard reboot: Why is my laptop screen flickering on boot, but not after hard reboot? It seems this started happening after the last Windows Update in February. Really annoying....
  4. Storage Services causing Windows Explorer crash/flickering on login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Services causing Windows Explorer crash/flickering on login: My computer flickers and is unusable for about 15 minutes after initial login. I went through msconfig and disabled all the services until I determined which one was causing it. The service that was causing it was Storage Services. It seemed to have started after an update a...
  5. Storage Services causing Windows Explorer crash/flickering on login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Storage Services causing Windows Explorer crash/flickering on login: My computer flickers and is unusable for about 15 minutes after initial login. I went through msconfig and disabled all the services until I determined which one was causing it. The service that was causing it was Storage Services. It seemed to have started after an update a...
  6. Screen Flickering after updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Screen Flickering after updates: My computer was perfectly fine until I updated it recently15th march and from then onwards my screen flickers occasionally I believe the following update is responsible for this and also I have tried resetting my display adapter in device manager which did not change anything...
  7. Screen Flickering while using Explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Screen Flickering while using Explorer: Hi, I am using thinkpad w520 with windows 10 updated to latets version. I never had any problems but once I connected my laptop to external monitor via displayport to Hdmi Connection and thne I disconnected and then back to normally using my laptop. Since then I noticed my...
  8. Windows Explorer crashes and screen flickers after reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer crashes and screen flickers after reboot: In our VDI we have the following problem with our Windows 10 Image: Sometimes after a reboot and after the Login the screens starts flickering between black and blue. In the Event log there are the following error Messages every second: The shell stopped unexpectedly and...
  9. Screen flickers & then explorer closes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Screen flickers & then explorer closes: On a Dell Vostro 3550 laptop, there were a few issues with Windows 7, so I erased the drive, did a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro, downloaded and installed all of the drivers from Dell. Then did a Windows 10 upgrade. When Windows 10 would first boot, it kept giving a 0x...
  10. File Explorer keeps crashing/restarting/flickering

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer keeps crashing/restarting/flickering: I am having an incredibly frustrating set of problems that I believe started in the past two weeks or so. It's happening on two different computers but both are virtually identical: Windows 10, nVidia Quadro 4000m, Dell 5k monitors, and basically the same software installed...