Windows 10: Windows Explorer crashes/freezes.

Discus and support Windows Explorer crashes/freezes. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I am experiencing an issue with my Windows 10 version. While using Chrome or Edge or Firefox when trying to use the Save as function... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Terrakion, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Terrakion Win User

Windows Explorer crashes/freezes.

Hello,

I am experiencing an issue with my Windows 10 version.

While using Chrome or Edge or Firefox when trying to use the Save as function Explorer tends to freeze up or crash my desktop.

While having Task Manager open the HDD in use/saving to, is pinned at 100% with 0 Read-Write usage..

I have 1 M.2 SSD with the Windows install.

A Sata SSD & SSHD for Games and a HDD for data/backups

My Windows was at 1803

Updating to 1809(?) only made it worse.

Rerolling back to 1803 (May update) fixed it at first, but the problem came back.

Also tried WD Diagnostic Quick & Extended tests.

Passed both tests.

Cleared File Explorer cache.

Used CMD to "Kill" Explorer.exe and restart.

Killed Superfetch through CMD

Display drivers are up-to-date.

1) Is it there a fix?

Don't know if its related but:

iCUE software doesn't work properly after updating to 1809

-Will reinstall later.

Empyrion Galactic Survival doesn't launch through Steam or with a shortcut on the desktop.

It did launch with admin rights.

-A game should't need Admin rights

- I don't have a second computer to test if it is hardware related.

Since the issue isn't 24/7 and i can get it working temporary i believe its software/Windows related.

- Don't need #MeToo's just "the" fix to my problem.

Preffered without re-installing Windows.

Regards;

-Mario.

:)

Terrakion, Aug 16, 2019

2. all games crash!

ive watch my temps and both the cpu and gpu are within normal ranges. when it freezes it simply freezes the image and stops the sound. i must reboot to get back to windows.

Easy Rhino, Aug 16, 2019
  3. peach1971 Win User
    all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Aug 16, 2019
  4. Windows Explorer crashes/freezes.

Internet Explorer is slow, crashing, freezing

Hi Albert,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

Method 1: I would suggest you to run the Internet Explorer performance troubleshooter which would tell us the reason behind the issue and check.

Follow these steps to run Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter.

• Click on search and type troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Run Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter.

Method 2: Follow the steps suggested in this link and check if it helps.

What to do when Internet Explorer isn't working

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/internet-explorer/ie-crashes-stops-working#ie=ie-11

Reset Internet Explorer disclaimer: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature
    might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Method 3: I would suggest you to run
    System Maintenance Troubleshooter
    and check if it helps:

• Press Windows + X key. 
    • Select Control panel.
    • In the search box, type Troubleshooter and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Under System and Security,
    • Click on System Maintenance and Click on Next button.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Aug 16, 2019
Thema:

Windows Explorer crashes/freezes.

1. Windows Explorer crashes/freezes. - Similar Threads - Explorer crashes freezes

2. File Explorer is freezing and crashing my Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer is freezing and crashing my Windows 10: Hello,Yesterday my system has started to experience freezing and crashes. Observed symptoms include the taskbar stopping and no longer functioning, the startup being slower than usual I own an SSD, the screen going black and returning to normal after the login sequence...
  3. File Explorer is freezing and crashing my Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer is freezing and crashing my Windows 10: Hello,Yesterday my system has started to experience freezing and crashes. Observed symptoms include the taskbar stopping and no longer functioning, the startup being slower than usual I own an SSD, the screen going black and returning to normal after the login sequence...
  4. File Explorer is freezing and crashing my Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. File Explorer crashes and freezes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashes and freezes: For some reason, I clicked on the gallery icon at the top under the home icon, and then it asked me for something that I don't know what it was, but it needed administrator access. After that, I can't open any files at all. The files on the desktop are opening, even the...
  6. File Explorer crashes and freezes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer crashes and freezes: For some reason, I clicked on the gallery icon at the top under the home icon, and then it asked me for something that I don't know what it was, but it needed administrator access. After that, I can't open any files at all. The files on the desktop are opening, even the...
  7. is File Explorer supposed to freeze then crash?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    is File Explorer supposed to freeze then crash?: - When I open FE it seems unusually slow ie compared to other programs. Sometimes nothing happens. Other times nothing happens AND the arrow to the right also doesn't help. As often as not it freezes then crashes. Far from saving time, FE wastes my time. - There is no error...
  8. File explorer freezing and crashing

File explorer freezing and crashing: My file explorer freezes whenever I try to click on a Microsoft Office file (powerpoint presentations, excel spreadsheets, word docs etc). It eventually crashes and restarts but I can never open office files from file explorer. In order to open files I have to use the open...
  9. Windows file explorer keeps freezing and crashing.

Windows file explorer keeps freezing and crashing.: Hi. It's been more than one month that I'm having this problems with Windows 10 Enterprise. I don't know what's causing it, but here's whats happening: When some program, game or similar needs to open "open file" and even sometimes "Save file as", the windows from File...
  10. Taskbar freezes, windows explorer crashes.

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar freezes, windows explorer crashes.: I need help fixing this! I cant reformat my PC though. 101168