Windows 10: Windows Explorer crashes when moving/opening files

Discus and support Windows Explorer crashes when moving/opening files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I've been having a lot of trouble opening and files in windows explorer. Nearly every time I try to open or move a file, the folder it is in stops... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JackBr1gs0, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Windows Explorer crashes when moving/opening files

Hi, I've been having a lot of trouble opening and files in windows explorer. Nearly every time I try to open or move a file, the folder it is in stops responding and eventually causes Windows Explorer to crash. With small files or at certain times, it doesn't happen. But it happens regularly in Documents, Downloads, and in the Recycling Bin which are the areas where I keep a large quantity of my files on my pc.

I've searched the web and found many potential solutions but have not been able to find some thing that worked yet.

I tried the Deployment Image Servicing and Management DISM tool, but after the restore operation was completed, the problem still existed.

I tried the System File Checker and no integrity violations were found.

I cleared explorer's history, I checked the graphic driver, I changed the display settings my laptop is small and doesn't normally run with 100% since doing so would make text very small, Idisabled quick access, and I checked to make sure I have the most recentWindow's updates.

I have also tried to access the event logs but every time I access the event viewer local - Windows Logs - Application, I get an error message that says this:

"The snap-in is not responding. To return to MMC and check the status of the snap-in, click Cancel. If you choose to end the snap-in immediately, you will lose any unsaved data. To end the snap-in now, click End now."

If I hit "End now" then the event viewer closes. If I hit cancel, I can view the logs and here is the error message from Explorer crashing.

The program explorer.exe version 10.0.18362.693 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
    Process ID: ba88
    Start Time: 01d61b3b0a5cefe6
    Termination Time: 0
    Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
    Report Id: 3266c05f-8df6-4863-8227-f643f63312de
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:
    Hang type: Cross-process

I'm just baffled right now as I have been a windows user for many years and haven't encountered this issue before. Hope someone can help resolve this.

:)

JackBr1gs0, Apr 25, 2020

2. Windows Explorer crash When Moving or opening Files

I have been fighting the same problem for months with Windows 10. Explorer crashes when opening or moving files, multiple File Explorer windows open for certain folders, etc.. Even after doing a clean install the problem reappeared. Event Viewer shows the
    faulting module as either ntdll.dll or windows.storage.dll.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Tim

Tim Hendriksen, Apr 25, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 25, 2020
  4. jsmin Win User

Windows Explorer crashes when moving/opening files

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Apr 25, 2020
Thema:

Windows Explorer crashes when moving/opening files

1. Windows Explorer crashes when moving/opening files - Similar Threads - Explorer crashes moving

2. Explorer.exe is crashing when file explorer is opened

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer.exe is crashing when file explorer is opened: I have windows11 22H2, today my file explorer stopped working, when i open it it just hangs and doesn't load the path section and then crashes explorer.exe, is there any way i can find out what causes this without reinstalling windows?Faulting application name: explorer.exe,...
  3. Explorer.exe is crashing when file explorer is opened

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer.exe is crashing when file explorer is opened: I have windows11 22H2, today my file explorer stopped working, when i open it it just hangs and doesn't load the path section and then crashes explorer.exe, is there any way i can find out what causes this without reinstalling windows?Faulting application name: explorer.exe,...
  4. File explore keeps crashing will move files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explore keeps crashing will move files: File explore keeps crashing will move files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explore-keeps-crashing-will-move-files/45397164-6893-4315-9cec-f5937e17c943
  5. File explore keeps crashing will move files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explore keeps crashing will move files: File explore keeps crashing will move files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explore-keeps-crashing-will-move-files/45397164-6893-4315-9cec-f5937e17c943
  6. Windows Explorer keeps crashing when attempting move or copy files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer keeps crashing when attempting move or copy files: Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exeProblem signatureProblem Event Name: APPCRASHApplication Name: Explorer.EXEApplication Version: 10.0.19041.1110Application Timestamp: e86d289eFault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dllFault Module Version: 10.0.19041.1110Fault Module...
  7. Windows Explorer crashes when opening file in a program

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Explorer crashes when opening file in a program: My windows explorer crashes when I want to open a file from certain programs, for example vlc, chrome, sometimes even microsoft office programs. It happens randomly. When i open vlc and try to open a file from there, a new search window opens which is just white and is not...
  8. File Explorer crashing when moving files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer crashing when moving files: File explorer keeps on crashing when I move files. I've tried the clean boot already, and it didn't work. This was the info I got about the problem: Description Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe Problem signature Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application...
  9. windows explorer crash when opening files windows.storage.dll

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows explorer crash when opening files windows.storage.dll: When some users opens the explorer and browse some folders it starts opening lots of new windows. Moreover if we open files like Word documents or pdf files than the explorer crashes and restarts. It seems to be a user related problem. If another user profiles uses the...
  10. Windows Explorer crashes when I open File Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Explorer crashes when I open File Explorer: So whenever I click File Explorer on the taskbar or in the start menu, Windows Explorer crashes and I need to go into task manager and restart it. But if I click a folder on my desktop it doesn't crash? 56915